HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2003, 01:24 AM
TJJ
Erie, CO
Joined Jun 2003
23 Posts
What happens if you run a LiPoly to zero? (Alternate title: Up a tree without a clue)

Unfortunate mishap with a tree and my SlowStick right at dusk means she spends the night 30 feet up until the light of day. (I'm sure I'm not the first guy to get one stuck in a tree, but I sure feel stupid!) I'll fetch my rope, harness, and prusicks and get up the tree in the morning, but what am I going to find?

I have a TP2100 3s1p and PHX 25 on the SlowStick (with a MP Jet BL) and obviously was unable to disconnect the battery. I'm assuming the battery will power the receiver and servos until it's dead. And I know LiPoly doesn't like less than 2.5-2.7v per cell. My guess is I'll have a bloated sausage for a battery (too bad, only about 10 charges on it too).

Assuming all goes well with my ascent tomorrow, I'll post a pic of the battery and the verdict. Hopefully I'll get some sleep tonight, I'm still picturing the little red LED on the ESC blinking out to me in the darkness. She was desperately signalling me to help her down, and now all I see is the blinking. It's getting weaker and dimmer as the hours go by, until finally, there is, nothing. It's going to be cold tonight too. Sleep well SlowStick.
TJJ is offline Find More Posts by TJJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2003, 02:45 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2001
302 Posts
Try to slow charge each cell at 100mA until it reaches 3V. Then, charge each cell individually to 4.2V, if possible. Watch the pack while you do this.

If all goes well, the cells will survive.
Suzanne is offline Find More Posts by Suzanne
Old Oct 08, 2003, 03:20 AM
Central Florida
Joined Oct 2001
419 Posts
No you are not alone. Exact same thing happened to me. My 3 cell etec was down to 3.0 volts for the whole pack, or 1 volt per cell. It would not take a charge on my ginzel in Lipo mode. So I charged in Ni-cad mode till it got to 9 volts. Then aborted and charged in Lipo mode. It still works but is maybe 10% weaker than my other etec 3S packs.
drewjet is offline Find More Posts by drewjet