SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, MA, Barnstable
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Newbie needs help with Hitec Focus 2 SS am transmitter

I am brand new to this sport and was given a Whisper 1400 EP Sailplane with a Hitec Focus 2 SS am transmitter. This outfit, while probably 10 years old, was new in the box. After assembling the plane, I discovered that the rudder does not respond to the joystick. The rudder is not jammed, and it appears there is no signal being sent to the receiver ( or the receiver is bad ). The elevators work and respond to the joystick, but lateral movement of the joystick has no effect on the rudder. The rudder servo is Ok as I swapped the servo plugs as a test.

Is there any easy way for me to determine the source of the problem ?
Apparently the company, Ace Hobby, is out of business and their phone is disconnected.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Ernie
Cape Cod, MA
( mods: this is my first post so kindly let me know if I am posting in the wrong section )
capecodder is offline Find More Posts by capecodder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:54 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Call Don at Hitec in LA, Calif at; 858 748 8440 Extension 309
He services my Hitec radio's cheap.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:12 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,046 Posts
How many channels does the receiver have? If it is a four channel or greater have you tried plugging the rudder servo into channel 1 and channel 4 to see if it works with either one of those?

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Yeah like Larry suggested, check to see if you have the elevator connected to the correct channel, #4 on a Hitec, for proper rudder control, and be aware the rudder is on the left stick. If you wish to have the rudder controlled on the right stick, you'll have to plug the rudder servo into channel #1 on the rx.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:43 AM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,059 Posts
I could be mistaken, but isn't it a no no to use an old AM set these days?
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:47 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Yeah like Larry suggested, check to see if you have the elevator connected to the correct channel, #4 on a Hitec, for proper rudder control, and be aware the rudder is on the left stick. If you wish to have the rudder controlled on the right stick, you'll have to plug the rudder servo into channel #1 on the rx.
His transmitter only has one stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
I could be mistaken, but isn't it a no no to use an old AM set these days?
Probably not the best practice, but nothing ilegal about it.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Oh boy, a blast from the past. This was my first radio, I kind of wish I still had one.

Anyways, this is only a 3 chan. Tx with one stick for chan. 1 and 2. The throttle (chan. 3) is on the rear of the Tx. Be sure that you have your rudder servo plugged into chan. 1 which may be labeled as aileron.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:17 AM
El Dorado Hills, California, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2000
548 Posts
AM is completely legal and perfect to use. I have many of these radios. They are super simple to use.

Okay, to test the problem, AM/FM(you need the AM side to work) audio radio-car or protable will work fine.

1) Fully extend the antenna on the transmitter

2) Touch the Antenna of the transmitter to the Antenna to the AM radio reciever

3) it will not blow-up either the transmitter or AM receiver

4) Turn on both, Turn volume at a medium level and manually tune around until you
hear buzzing sound. Wiggle the stick on each axis, and the tone should change on
both axis. If you hear it on only on one axis,then the transmitter is at fault.
Otherwise, the receiver is at fault.

5) If it still does not work, Hitec cannot help(without selling you new equipment) you. I have another solution for you
MAVA is offline Find More Posts by MAVA
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:03 PM
United States, MA, Barnstable
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
looks like the TX is working

First, to clarify this Hitec is 2 channel only - rudder and elevator. No motor control as the motor is switched on at the plane and the motor runs until the battery is discharged. Not a very sophisticated system, but good enough for this simple sailplane.
I had already switched the servo plugs on the receiver and verified both servos do work.

MAVA - I tried your radio test and it appears the transmitter is working. What a neat, and simple way to test.
So, I guess the receiver is bad.
I'll send you a PM.
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
Ernie
capecodder is offline Find More Posts by capecodder