HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:33 PM
Fokker,I didn't even kiss her
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Apr 2011
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2av8rc View Post
Just bought the GoPro Hero 3 - White Edition to hang under my Phantom. Watching the video - the video is wavy - any ideas on how to fix this?

I've seen many videos taken via the Phantom and none of them have this problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5UA...ature=youtu.be
I'm no expert but it appears as thought the oscillation increases with throttle so I would first start on isolating the camera more from the aircraft.
Bob Dunlop is offline Find More Posts by Bob Dunlop
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:07 PM
Sponsored by U.S Border Patrol
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dunlop View Post
Weekends not looking too good but Tuesday looks great...60s and 4 mph
I may take Tuesday off.
garyav16 is offline Find More Posts by garyav16
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,254 Posts
Looking forward to some warmth and low wind to get my Fokker Dr1 sorted out...I think cg is good just need to work on expo's and mixing to get smooth flight
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:22 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Just bought the GoPro Hero 3 - White Edition to hang under my Phantom. Watching the video - the video is wavy - any ideas on how to fix this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5UA...ature=youtu.be
that phantom is cool, would like to see that in person sometime.

the waves are from your props being out of balance. the imbalance creates a high frequency vibration through the airframe and it puts that jelly in the video.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:54 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,417 Posts
My theory differs from the others because as a Go Pro user, the same has happened to my vids in youtube. Youtube wants to compress and modify your footage because of the GoPro fisheye look. It tries to flatten it and control the movement so that waviness appears. Tell Youtube not to treat it. Unless it's coming straight out of the camera like that... which it shouldn't.

Quote:

[/URL]
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:01 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Weekends not looking too good but Tuesday looks great...60s and 4 mph
I'm seeing 50 degrees and 5mph winds for Sunday at FARCC, thats pretty damn good for early February. Same source says rain & 56 on Tuesday

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USVA0766

I'm working this weekend so it doesn't matter either way, if Tuesday is nice I'll get some lunchtime flights in
Arcturus97 is offline Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:20 PM
Fly Micro Scale to Full Scale
United States, VA, Brandy Station
Joined Nov 2011
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso M View Post
that phantom is cool, would like to see that in person sometime.

the waves are from your props being out of balance. the imbalance creates a high frequency vibration through the airframe and it puts that jelly in the video.
Makes sense .... what is a good way to balance the props
fun2av8rc is offline Find More Posts by fun2av8rc
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
I'm seeing 50 degrees and 5mph winds for Sunday at FARCC, thats pretty damn good for early February. Same source says rain & 56 on Tuesday

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USVA0766

I'm working this weekend so it doesn't matter either way, if Tuesday is nice I'll get some lunchtime flights in
I use the WeatherHD app on my iPad and now it says 52 and 5 Sunday and 59 and 4 on Tues 0 % rain
Who knows!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:29 PM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
My theory differs from the others because as a Go Pro user, the same has happened to my vids in youtube. Youtube wants to compress and modify your footage because of the GoPro fisheye look. It tries to flatten it and control the movement so that waviness appears. Tell Youtube not to treat it. Unless it's coming straight out of the camera like that... which it shouldn't.
I get the same effect on my gopro, native video without uploading it. I play it back on my tablet and see the jelly on the screen. I agree, it's the prop, my jelly changes rhythm with the change in motor speed. I balanced mine and waiting to see how much of a difference it makes.
mirored is offline Find More Posts by mirored
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:38 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,417 Posts
Hmm. Let us know what you find out. I'll have put mine on the plane and see what I get. I have the 1st gen GoPro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirored View Post
I get the same effect on my gopro, native video without uploading it. I play it back on my tablet and see the jelly on the screen. I agree, it's the prop, my jelly changes rhythm with the change in motor speed. I balanced mine and waiting to see how much of a difference it makes.
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:46 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
The jello effect is a photography/videography phenomenon also known as "rolling shutter" among the video guys. It is common among the cameras which use a CMOS censor.

It happens when the time for the CMOS sensor to scan the image is around the oscillation time (vibration) of the body of the camera so it is definitely due to vibration. Camera or lenses equipped with vibration reduction technology will have less of such problems. Also I think during more light, this will be more prominent.

I would suggest to work on your camera mount. Mount the camera such a way where the camera and its mount has less contact with the model surface or body. Some foam in between the camera/mount/fuselage will reduce this effect.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:51 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:06 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,254 Posts
Quote:
I'm no expert but it appears as thought the oscillation increases with throttle so I would first start on isolating the camera more from the aircraft.
Laymans terms
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:08 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Laymans terms
Genius.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:25 AM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
The jello effect is a photography/videography phenomenon also known as "rolling shutter" among the video guys. It is common among the cameras which use a CMOS censor.

It happens when the time for the CMOS sensor to scan the image is around the oscillation time (vibration) of the body of the camera so it is definitely due to vibration. Camera or lenses equipped with vibration reduction technology will have less of such problems. Also I think during more light, this will be more prominent.

I would suggest to work on your camera mount. Mount the camera such a way where the camera and its mount has less contact with the model surface or body. Some foam in between the camera/mount/fuselage will reduce this effect.
Now I expect mine to be worse. I did balance the prop ===> should be better. But I also put it on a pan/tilt, which has more flexibility to it ===> better or worse? Next flight will tell. FPV ===> cool stuff
mirored is offline Find More Posts by mirored