HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:55 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalmat View Post
OK. I'm still in. BTW, you may have a big heart, but you also have a pretty serious set of B@LLS to pull off the maneuvers in your routine. Its very fun to watch.
Part of learning... this summer I hope I will have more flying time so will start working on adding some more maneuvers into the routine. Also will be working on my precision and IMAC stuff.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:51 PM
Sponsored by U.S Border Patrol
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirored View Post
Well, not true. I had a crash, one very close call, bought four DX8 transmitters, all of them went back for superior service, one was a test transmitter that I bought at the hobby shop in Fairfax that Andy wanted back in no uncertain term, never would tell me why. After putting up with their superb service and my lack of stick time, while sinking investments into four radios, I was pretty much ready to switch. But, then I fall into a bad radio (as did Salam) from Futaba. We had the ghost-ridden radios that re-booted whenever they felt the need.

I will not pay homage to any one brand over another. They all can have problems. I have to say I am overall happier where I am with my 18MZ. If it had arms, it would make me breakfast. It's just a thing, and in my world of managing facilities, I count on everything breaking at some point. I am just waiting for my turn to come around again, but hope it isn't too soon, I paid my pennance for awhile. It's someone elses turn.

Alan..buy an 18MZ and be done with it already
Man, if I would have said to buy the 18mz they would be all over me.
garyav16 is online now Find More Posts by garyav16
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:32 PM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyav16 View Post
That's me, always just stepping out here testing the atmosphere. I got away with it
mirored is online now Find More Posts by mirored
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:33 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirored View Post
That's me, always just stepping out here testing the atmosphere. I got away with it
LOL. It's because I'm Mexican that I can't get it away with it. What's the plan if any for the weekend?

I was reading that they would be adding these two new icons for people to use. Not sure what's that all about..
Last edited by garyav16; Feb 07, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:38 PM
amo ludibria ventis
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,504 Posts
It's kind of like farting. If you do it once in a while, no one notices, but if you fart all the time, you get a reputation.

Quote:
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:43 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
It's kind of like farting. If you do it once in a while, no one notices, but if you fart all the time, you get a reputation.
Wow, you actually have time for us.. I see you on about 5 other threads providing excellent advice.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:52 PM
amo ludibria ventis
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,504 Posts
There isn't much I can add over here since it's all giant scale stuff and tech stuff I know nothing about. I just watch and shout from the peanut gallery

Quote:
Wow, you actually have time for us.. I see you on about 5 other threads providing excellent advice.
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:52 PM
Freedom isn't Free
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Oct 2012
955 Posts
Well, I've learned alot about HV servos the last few days....Hitec at least. A lot of folks have suggested the 7955 Titaniums as the ultimate servo. But it's in fact an earlier generation servo, that's been continuously updated. The 7940, 7945 And 7950 Titaniums are a newer generation v2.5 that have a totally different circuitry and cordless motor in them that are from day one designed around 7.4v use. It's a 320oz/in servo at .10sec/60deg of travel. So I've ordered the Smart Fly Expander Competition 12 Plus. To operate unregulated on 7.4 Li-ion's. I got 7945Th's for the surfaces, 7950 for Rudder and 7940 for Throttle. It's a 0.06sec/60deg servo with 220oz/in. So it should be a bullet-proof setup. That's what I'm going for anyway. Also put the DA60 on order with a Slimline Pitts muffler/w/oil hookup. The DA guys also said I'd be better off doing 3D with a Pitts muffler over a tuned pipe. There's a dead band in the midrange where you are most of the time in 3D, so glad to put that decision to bed.
I only need now to figure out where to put a minimum of 11 satellite antennas so I won't crash my DX18!!
BearBow is offline Find More Posts by BearBow
Last edited by BearBow; Feb 07, 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:56 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,293 Posts
Aren't the ultimate servos not only HV but also brushless?
Arcturus97 is online now Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:00 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBow View Post
Well, I learned about HV servos the last few days....Hitec at least. A lot of folks have suggested the 7955 Titaniums as the ultimate servo. But it's in fact an earlier generation servo, that's been continuously updated. The 7940, 7945 And 7950 Titaniums are a newer generation v2.5 that have a totally different circuitry and cordless motor in them that are from day one designed around 7.4v use. It's a 320oz/in servo at .10sec/60deg of travel. So I've ordered the Smart Fly Expander Competition 12 Plus. To operate unregulated on 7.4 Li-ion's. I got 7945Th's for the surfaces, 7950 for Rudder and 7940 for Throttle. It's a 0.06sec/60deg servo with 220oz/in. So it should be a bullet-proof setup. That's what I'm going for anyway. Also put the DA60 on order with a Slimline Pitts muffler/w/oil hookup. The DA guys also said I'd be better off doing 3D with a Pitts muffler over a tuned pipe. There's a dead band in the midrange where you are most of the time in 3D, so glad to put that decision to bed.
I only need now to figure out where to put a minimum of 11 satellite antennas so I won't crash my DX18!!
Curious why you went with the competition 12? Battery connection?
Last edited by garyav16; Feb 07, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:34 PM
One more flight...
Joined Jan 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Curious why you went with the competition 12? Battery connection?
Probably because they don't make a 14 or 18!
CashD is offline Find More Posts by CashD
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:56 PM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
955 Posts
I went with Comp 12 over the Sport Plus because of battery connections. The Sport model uses servo connector to the 7.4 Li- ion's. the Comp 12 offers connection via Deans which means far less internal loss of amperage and resistance. I didn't use the Expander Pro because it didn't have the ignition cutoff included. It does have Deans connection, but the Comp 12 was cheaper with cutoff included.
BearBow is offline Find More Posts by BearBow
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:00 PM
Fly Micro Scale to Full Scale
United States, VA, Brandy Station
Joined Nov 2011
201 Posts
Who is a GoPro Guru

Just bought the GoPro Hero 3 - White Edition to hang under my Phantom. Watching the video - the video is wavy - any ideas on how to fix this?

I've seen many videos taken via the Phantom and none of them have this problem.

DJI Phantom Quad Maiden Flight with GoPro Hero 3 - White Edtiion Camera (1 min 21 sec)
fun2av8rc is offline Find More Posts by fun2av8rc
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:01 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBow View Post
I went with Comp 12 over the Sport Plus because of battery connections. The Sport model uses servo connector to the 7.4 Li- ion's. the Comp 12 offers connection via Deans which means far less internal loss of amperage and resistance. I didn't use the Expander Pro because it didn't have the ignition cutoff included. It does have Deans connection, but the Comp 12 was cheaper with cutoff included.
That's what I figured. Good deal.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:25 PM
Fokker,I didn't even kiss her
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Apr 2011
1,286 Posts
Weekends not looking too good but Tuesday looks great...60s and 4 mph
Bob Dunlop is offline Find More Posts by Bob Dunlop
Last edited by Bob Dunlop; Feb 07, 2013 at 08:03 PM.