SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:59 PM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
mirored's Avatar
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalmat View Post

That said, I'm considering keeping the 9503 and dragging all my airplanes over to Andy's and paying him to resolder everything from my battery connectors to all my servos-- Have not mentioned this to Andy yet...
I think you just did

Come on over, bring all your cr@p....errrrr, JR equipment, I will talk you out of it
mirored is online now Find More Posts by mirored
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:06 PM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
mirored's Avatar
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
Or you can have both. I do. Even if you go for the 8FG, you save some $$.

Some of the guys on here that are all Futaba never had a crash while they were on Spektrum/JR. I never had a brown out or whatever that is. I think Bob at Hobby Hangar still flies his JR/Spektrum TX.
Well, not true. I had a crash, one very close call, bought four DX8 transmitters, all of them went back for superior service, one was a test transmitter that I bought at the hobby shop in Fairfax that Andy wanted back in no uncertain term, never would tell me why. After putting up with their superb service and my lack of stick time, while sinking investments into four radios, I was pretty much ready to switch. But, then I fall into a bad radio (as did Salam) from Futaba. We had the ghost-ridden radios that re-booted whenever they felt the need.

I will not pay homage to any one brand over another. They all can have problems. I have to say I am overall happier where I am with my 18MZ. If it had arms, it would make me breakfast. It's just a thing, and in my world of managing facilities, I count on everything breaking at some point. I am just waiting for my turn to come around again, but hope it isn't too soon, I paid my pennance for awhile. It's someone elses turn.

Alan..buy an 18MZ and be done with it already
mirored is online now Find More Posts by mirored
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:12 PM
Registered User
regalmat's Avatar
Ashburn VA
Joined Feb 2010
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
14SG documentation of the FCC approval at the FCC site:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...d=AZPT14SG-24G
Figures they would get done right as I'm about to step off the bandwagon. Looks like I'll hang tough and make the change but still need to figure out if I've got crappy connections, weak batteries, or both.

Thanks for the input.
regalmat is offline Find More Posts by regalmat
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:16 PM
Registered User
regalmat's Avatar
Ashburn VA
Joined Feb 2010
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirored View Post
Well, not true. I had a crash, one very close call, bought four DX8 transmitters, all of them went back for superior service, one was a test transmitter that I bought at the hobby shop in Fairfax that Andy wanted back in no uncertain term, never would tell me why. After putting up with their superb service and my lack of stick time, while sinking investments into four radios, I was pretty much ready to switch. But, then I fall into a bad radio (as did Salam) from Futaba. We had the ghost-ridden radios that re-booted whenever they felt the need.

I will not pay homage to any one brand over another. They all can have problems. I have to say I am overall happier where I am with my 18MZ. If it had arms, it would make me breakfast. It's just a thing, and in my world of managing facilities, I count on everything breaking at some point. I am just waiting for my turn to come around again, but hope it isn't too soon, I paid my pennance for awhile. It's someone elses turn.

Alan..buy an 18MZ and be done with it already
Thanks Andy. I could buy the 18MZ but would rather put the money in aircraft and stick time and maybe a trip to SEFF. None of these radios will make me a better pilot--need to focus on that.

Hopefully the 14SG will show up this week since the FCC is done.
regalmat is offline Find More Posts by regalmat
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:34 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
SalamSyed's Avatar
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalmat View Post
None of these radios will make me a better pilot--need to focus on that.

Hopefully the 14SG will show up this week since the FCC is done.
Whatever good, average or bad flying I do could have been half if I had bad crashes in between but I had none so what I am where I am supposed to be. My radio is one major thing in this progress which I trust and makes my heart big to fly low with confidence so yes your radio can make you good pilot.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:17 PM
Fly Micro Scale to Full Scale
fun2av8rc's Avatar
United States, VA, Brandy Station
Joined Nov 2011
204 Posts
Remember me ?????

Its been awhile

Thought I would catch everyone up. Moved from Centreville to Brandy Station which is abut 15 minutes north of Culpeper. Got a nice big backyard I can fly the Park Flyer size airplanes and of course my Helis. Joined the Culpeper Model Barnstormers RC Club - the field is 12 minutes away - nice!

As far as the RC Stuff goes, I've got my Raptor 60 and TRex 500 in an MD-500 fuse flying great. Just bought a SIG Rascal with the 77" wingspan - saw one flying at NVRC - Just gotta have one .... its gonna be electric ,,, Power 42 or 60. Not sure yet.

Tomorrow I am picking up my dji Phantom - what a wacked out crazy quad. The videos are amazing. Did anybody see the one where the guy hovers his Phantom at 30', puts transmitter down, and then starts flying his heli while the Phantom was video taping him flying the heli? WOW

Still unpacking and building the hobby shop in the basement. Lot a work to move .... Don't plan on repeating this again anytime soon.

Next Tues it is supposed to be 55-58 degrees and sunny. Anybody flying?
fun2av8rc is offline Find More Posts by fun2av8rc
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:20 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Arcturus97's Avatar
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,344 Posts
Hey Jim, good to hear from you. Got any more frankenplanes in the works?
Arcturus97 is online now Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:49 PM
amo ludibria ventis
PontiusPilate's Avatar
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,579 Posts
You'll have to send an invite for a Yard-fly! So you decided on the Phantom, good stuff. I just blew my little stash on surface stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2av8rc View Post
Its been awhile
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:24 AM
Once you taste flight...
skydvejam's Avatar
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Dec 2011
2,782 Posts
Alan next time you are at the field watch how fast the Futaba binds... That is one of the things that really sold me, with Spektrum if you have a brown out most likely your going down, with Futaba the bind is almost instant so you could recover quite easily from a brown out. There is the price to that of not having model match, but that is an easy one of looking at the TX before you power up the model.
skydvejam is online now Find More Posts by skydvejam
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:49 AM
Registered User
regalmat's Avatar
Ashburn VA
Joined Feb 2010
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
Whatever good, average or bad flying I do could have been half if I had bad crashes in between but I had none so what I am where I am supposed to be. My radio is one major thing in this progress which I trust and makes my heart big to fly low with confidence so yes your radio can make you good pilot.
OK. I'm still in. BTW, you may have a big heart, but you also have a pretty serious set of B@LLS to pull off the maneuvers in your routine. Its very fun to watch.
regalmat is offline Find More Posts by regalmat
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:51 AM
Registered User
regalmat's Avatar
Ashburn VA
Joined Feb 2010
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydvejam View Post
Alan next time you are at the field watch how fast the Futaba binds... That is one of the things that really sold me, with Spektrum if you have a brown out most likely your going down, with Futaba the bind is almost instant so you could recover quite easily from a brown out. There is the price to that of not having model match, but that is an easy one of looking at the TX before you power up the model.
Thanks. I will have to get used to not having model match, but looking forward to the other features. I will keep the 9503 as long as I keep flying the HH micro helis. If I get out of that, I'll sell it.
regalmat is offline Find More Posts by regalmat
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:04 AM
amo ludibria ventis
PontiusPilate's Avatar
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,579 Posts
He has a separate wing bag for his balls LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regalmat View Post
OK. I'm still in. BTW, you may have a big heart, but you also have a pretty serious set of B@LLS to pull off the maneuvers in your routine. Its very fun to watch.
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:05 PM
Once you taste flight...
skydvejam's Avatar
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Dec 2011
2,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalmat View Post
Thanks. I will have to get used to not having model match, but looking forward to the other features. I will keep the 9503 as long as I keep flying the HH micro helis. If I get out of that, I'll sell it.
One of the neat things about that, is you can have the RX set for a couple of birds, and move it around until you can absorb the cost of more receivers for your park fliers. No rebinding when moving things around.
skydvejam is online now Find More Posts by skydvejam
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:12 PM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
mirored's Avatar
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydvejam View Post
One of the neat things about that, is you can have the RX set for a couple of birds, and move it around until you can absorb the cost of more receivers for your park fliers. No rebinding when moving things around.
Not required to re-bind when moving the RX, but for me, I will every time. The radio will work, but I just feel better knowing it is good to go. It only takes about...well, it's done before I finished saying it.
mirored is online now Find More Posts by mirored
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:54 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
SalamSyed's Avatar
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
He has a separate wing bag for his balls LOL.
I put those back at their place after the last flight of the day. LOL
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion NOVA RC Park Flyers gixxernoob USA - District IV 24381 Today 02:50 PM
Free to a nova scotia rc boat club MichaelDC Non R/C Items (FS/W) 0 Jun 22, 2011 02:56 PM
Discussion New rc shop ( RC nova loja ) rafatfe Portugal 0 Feb 28, 2009 11:49 AM
NoVa flyers? Mr_Bazball Electric Plane Talk 0 Jun 12, 2003 04:24 PM