How does your truck like it?
LOL. not good after I hit a fire hydrant with the back bumper.. lol
garyav16 is offline Find More Posts by garyav16
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:51 PM
Ashburn VA
Joined Feb 2010
1,051 Posts
I'm thinking of not getting the 14SG due both to the wait and the fact that I'm getting convinced that most, if not all, of my recent anomalies/crashes were probably due to power issues. I've just gotten of the phone with a tech from HH that has checked out my 9503 and tested it with JR, DSMX, DSM2 receivers and its not the problem. (He also replaced some parts that were not broken but were not perfect at no charge. I was impressed with the turn around time and the service). The problems I'm having are probably some kind of brown out that I'm not sure switching to a new system will solve. But I may never really know.

That said, I'm considering keeping the 9503 and dragging all my airplanes over to Andy's and paying him to resolder everything from my battery connectors to all my servos-- Have not mentioned this to Andy yet...

I'd still like to get the Futaba (and already have some receivers) but I may hang on to the money for a new transmitter and buy another airplane, maybe gas
regalmat is offline Find More Posts by regalmat
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:55 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Alan, those power/brown out issues if happened once can happen again so why take risks?

No doubt Horizon has out of this world customer service but they still have issues with their radio systems.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:00 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
The dark side (Futaba) is waiting for you.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:01 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Alan, I just heard the news that FCC has approved the 14SG so they should be arriving soon.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:03 PM
Sponsored by U.S Border Patrol
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalmat View Post
I'm thinking of not getting the 14SG due both to the wait and the fact that I'm getting convinced that most, if not all, of my recent anomalies/crashes were probably due to power issues. I've just gotten of the phone with a tech from HH that has checked out my 9503 and tested it with JR, DSMX, DSM2 receivers and its not the problem. (He also replaced some parts that were not broken but were not perfect at no charge. I was impressed with the turn around time and the service). The problems I'm having are probably some kind of brown out that I'm not sure switching to a new system will solve. But I may never really know.

That said, I'm considering keeping the 9503 and dragging all my airplanes over to Andy's and paying him to resolder everything from my battery connectors to all my servos-- Have not mentioned this to Andy yet...

I'd still like to get the Futaba (and already have some receivers) but I may hang on to the money for a new transmitter and buy another airplane, maybe gas
Take it from me. I've had both Spektrum and Jr and ever since I made the jump to Futaba I've been so much happier. I think that not having 4 freaking satellites in my 40% makes me more confident in the Futaba system.

I would be worried of when the next brown out or glitch would be coming along. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that radio system in a gas plane.

Of course this is only my opinion.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:05 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
Alan, those power/brown out issues if happened once can happen again so why take risks?

No doubt Horizon has out of this world customer service but they still have issues with their radio systems.
Of course they have excellent customer service. You get proficient when the service is used constantly.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:05 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,323 Posts
yeah - your Spektrums more sensitive to brownouts in your powersystem

Hey, somewhat related, JR announced their new X14G or whatever transmitter. It has "X-Bus" which is same idea as Futaba's S-Bus. Its not clear to me but I hear this X-Bus is even same protocol as S-Bus so it will work on things like heli flybarless controllers that take S-Bus input.
Arcturus97 is offline Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:11 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
14SG documentation of the FCC approval at the FCC site:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...d=AZPT14SG-24G
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:26 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,323 Posts
Hey Alan - don't forget how with Futabas you can have one small SBus RX on any size Heli with no satellites and only 1 wire attached to that RX going to a FBL controller.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:40 PM
amo ludibria ventis
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,554 Posts
Or you can have both. I do. Even if you go for the 8FG, you save some $$.

Some of the guys on here that are all Futaba never had a crash while they were on Spektrum/JR. I never had a brown out or whatever that is. I think Bob at Hobby Hangar still flies his JR/Spektrum TX.
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:29 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
Hey Alan - don't forget how with Futabas you can have one small SBus RX on any size Heli with no satellites and only 1 wire attached to that RX going to a FBL controller.
Sweet new avatar Mike.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:30 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyav16 View Post
Sweet new avatar Mike.
Thanks, that's a Salam photo
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:34 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
Thanks, that's a Salam photo
Yep, i remember the day he was taking them.. you brought that heli in really close.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:36 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyav16 View Post
Yep, i remember the day he was taking them.. you brought that heli in really close.
And low :-)