HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:45 AM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
I haven't been flying planes much but did a few flights with a foamie yesterday. I was practicing holding harrier for extended time and steering with rudder. I was separately practicing continuous rolls (level, not in a nose high harrier) and trying to use the elevator and rudder inputs you describe - its ugly for me.

Can you comment if learning plain harrier and continuous level rolls first is a good idea for eventual rolling harriers? Any tips for transitioning from continuous level rolls to rolling harrier? My limited experience with just slow wings level harriers tends to suggest that the portions of rolling harrier with wings level is going to require full or nearly full up or down elevator.
The basics for rolling harriers is practicing upright and inverted harrier flight and knife edge flight on both direction. Point rolls and slow rolls are also a great way to get a hang of how the inputs are.

Your level rolls will become harrier (high alpha and slow) when you reduce your throttle, input (bravely) more rudder and elevator... the nose will start to pick up and roll rate will decrease. As soon as the nose starts to drop, your roll rate will increase big time.

For correct rolling harriers you need max (3D) throws on all surfaces... at the beginning choose a roll rate you are comfortable with but do keep more elevator and rudder throws available.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:55 AM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
The basics for rolling harriers is practicing upright and inverted harrier flight and knife edge flight on both direction. Point rolls and slow rolls are also a great way to get a hang of how the inputs are.

Your level rolls will become harrier (high alpha and slow) when you reduce your throttle, input (bravely) more rudder and elevator... the nose will start to pick up and roll rate will decrease. As soon as the nose starts to drop, your roll rate will increase big time.

For correct rolling harriers you need max (3D) throws on all surfaces... at the beginning choose a roll rate you are comfortable with but do keep more elevator and rudder throws available.
Sounds good, thanks. When I fly my Bandit I've been practicing point rolls and knife edge each direction. It just hasn't flown in a while - been really concentrating with the helis and likely will stay that way but planes will not go away completely.
Arcturus97 is online now Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:20 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Oregon Senate Bill 71 Bans FPV Flying and Other "Drones"

RFTC: Oregon Senate Bill 71 Bans FPV Flying and Other "Drones" (4 min 42 sec)
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:32 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,417 Posts
Now I don't support a complete ban, but I definitely would feel perfectly comfortable with some limitations on it. Waivers, registrations, etc.

Quote:
PontiusPilate is offline Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:40 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
Now I don't support a complete ban, but I definitely would feel perfectly comfortable with some limitations on it. Waivers, registrations, etc.
We already have limitations - the safety rules and FPV guidance as provided by the AMA. We (modelers) don't need government, who is ignorant of RC hobby use of this technology, telling us what to do. The prohibition on use of cameras in models to look at private property or persons without their written permission is already in the new AMA FPV guidance. The FCC authorization bill that was signed into law last year already exempts model aviation from FCC regulation as long as the model aviation is governed under safety guidelines of a 'community organization'. If you've read the first few pages of any issue of Model Aviation over the last year you already know this.

Perhaps the government should regulate alcohol and firearms too, oh wait they already do. Give an inch and they will take a mile.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:53 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoJoVk_qSo
Been talking a lot about this lately. So looney. Hillarious to me that the bill makes buying or even possessing something available at the Apple Store:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H8...AOS-US-KWG-PLA

A crime punishable by 6 months in jail (in Oregon)...
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:56 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,272 Posts
The only good news is that this is a bill not a law - time for the citizens of Oregon to speak up and probably appropriate for AMA Government Relations to get involved.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:03 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Quote:
The only good news is that this is a bill not a law - time for the citizens of Oregon to speak up and probably appropriate for AMA Government Relations to get involved.
Right. I'm sure they'll be a lot of people on it, not just AMA affiliated.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
7,417 Posts
I don't trust half the pilots I know with their normal RC planes, let alone behind the sticks of an FPV rig.

Oregon is a pretty BLUE state, they might welcome more rules and more govt.

Quote:
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:08 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,272 Posts
Quote:
I don't trust half the pilots I know with their normal RC planes, let alone behind the sticks of an FPV rig.

Oregon is a pretty BLUE state, they might welcome more rules and more govt.
Hmmm , what if the sentence above read:

I don't trust half the citizens I know with their normal firearms, let alone behind the trigger of an "assault rifle" .
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
7,417 Posts
LOL. My ideas for running govt are far from politically correct. I don't mind certain people have assault weapons, but I definitely don't want one in the hands of someone who is not playing with a full deck. Is it realistic to conduct a full pysch eval for every gun purchase.. no.

My larger point is there are a lot of people that can't be trusted with a lot of different things. Back to FPV or any other potentially dangerous thing... you kinda have to just hope for the best. I don't have the solution, but I understand both sides of the argument.

Quote:
Hmmm , what if the sentence above read:

I don't trust half the citizens I know with their normal firearms, let alone behind the trigger of an "assault rifle" .
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:36 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,272 Posts
Quote:
LOL. My ideas for running govt are far from politically correct. I don't mind certain people have assault weapons, but I definitely don't want one in the hands of someone who is not playing with a full deck. Is it realistic to conduct a full pysch eval for every gun purchase.. no.

My larger point is there are a lot of people that can't be trusted with a lot of different things. Back to FPV or any other potentially dangerous thing... you kinda have to just hope for the best. I don't have the solution, but I understand both sides of the argument.
I agree that certain people can't be trusted with FPV or other dangerous things. I'm also for limitations on these things - I just prefer the limitation come from self organization of the community (AMA in this context) rather than government. When "rogue FPV pilots" fly outside of AMA guidance they are not protected nor are they exempt from FCC guidance on UAS.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
7,417 Posts
True, I wonder how many/few times a club has disciplined or banned a member.

Quote:
I agree that certain people can't be trusted with FPV or other dangerous things. I'm also for limitations on these things - I just prefer the limitation come from self organization of the community (AMA in this context) rather than government. When "rogue FPV pilots" fly outside of AMA guidance they are not protected nor are they exempt from FCC guidance on UAS.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:49 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,272 Posts
One of my favorite sound bites

Reagan Government is not the solution to our problem government IS the problem (0 min 10 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:51 PM
Sponsored by U.S Border Patrol
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,488 Posts
Quote:
Do the guys flying in restricted sites fall into the same category?
garyav16 is online now Find More Posts by garyav16