http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:18 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,296 Posts
+1 on iCharger and paraboards. Epbuddy is a great shop too. I have the iCharger 306b - up to 30 amp output and up to 6S lipo.

If you don't mind doing a couple of solders you can get just as good of power supply or better by using computer server power supplies off of eBay for like $20 each. They are rated at 47A @ 12v, high quality, intended to output stable power 24/7 for years straight. I have two in series for a 24v 47a power supply. Only drawback is they are loud.
Arcturus97 is offline Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:25 PM
Once you taste flight...
United States, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Dec 2011
2,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
+1 on iCharger and paraboards. Epbuddy is a great shop too. I have the iCharger 306b - up to 30 amp output and up to 6S lipo.

If you don't mind doing a couple of solders you can get just as good of power supply or better by using computer server power supplies off of eBay for like $20 each. They are rated at 47A @ 12v, high quality, intended to output stable power 24/7 for years straight. I have two in series for a 24v 47a power supply. Only drawback is they are loud.
I was going to say that about the PS, or look around for some old machines that people are getting rid of.
skydvejam is offline Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:32 PM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
958 Posts
Thanks guys....what about the decision to use AC/DC charger vs the hi power dcsystems? Also I'd heard using a parallel board wouldn't allow balance charging? True? Can you use a single port I-charger at higher amps using a para board?
BearBow is offline Find More Posts by BearBow
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:37 PM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
Best chargers:

Revolectrix PL8
http://www.revolectrix.com/index.htm

Or pick any from the iCharger series as per your requirements
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17_1

Best power supply units:
Junsi or Mean Well
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

Best way to charge multiple batteries at one time:
Parallel charging using ParaBoards
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15
Salam,
I looked at the para bds and I don't see any with Anderson power pole inputs? Do you know if that's available? I have half Deans batteries and half power poles...
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:58 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBow View Post
Thanks guys....what about the decision to use AC/DC charger vs the hi power dcsystems? Also I'd heard using a parallel board wouldn't allow balance charging? True? Can you use a single port I-charger at higher amps using a para board?
DC unless you want just a 50 watt charger. For example, icharger 306b is 1000 watt. Paraboards have both main and balance connectors, pick your flavor of main connector and balance connector. Each port will have a 2S through 6S connector, check out the pics on epbuddy. Sorry never seen power poles in paraboards, you would have to make adaptors.

Yes you use single port charger at high power with the board. The newest versions of the boards are rated at 40 amps. My older boards are "only" capable of 30 amps.

Most important consideration of parallel charging: all packs must be same cell count, voltage should be close, and capacity doesn't matter.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:12 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Salam,
I looked at the para bds and I don't see any with Anderson power pole inputs? Do you know if that's available? I have half Deans batteries and half power poles...
All these chargers that are called AC are actually DC chargers but have an internal AC/DC converters. It will get too bulky and complicated to have both in one place when you talk about hefty charging stations so all the hefty chargers need a separate and dedicated PSU or you can use a deep cycle battery for charging. I don't have many batteries with Anderson connectors but I keep a few adapters handy to use batteries I always borrow from Mr. Andy Anderson.

So make a few Anderson to Dean adapters and you are golden.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:12 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,296 Posts
In my opinion the PowerLab 8/10 has been unseated as the best charger. The new bada$$ is the iCharger 4010 duo. For $350 you get two channels that can each output 40 Amps at up to 10S Lipo, simultaneously. Or, it lets you bridge them together for 70 amp output. Dude, 1400 watts per channel! Hey, its got a dang color screen too that I think plays old playstation games or something (not really on the games). They throw in two paraboards free too. You will need one really serious power supply to get the most out of this.

If you want the best this is it.
Get it here, or here
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:15 PM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
958 Posts
Cool thanks....I think I'm getting it.
Is the Revolectrix PL8 a DC only unit....looks that way. What pwr supplies do you like?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:21 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Cool thanks....I think I'm getting it.
Is the Revolectrix PL8 a DC only unit....looks that way. What pwr supplies do you like?
Yes DC input only for PL8

Power supply: Hewlett-Packard DPS-600PB
12v instruction (1 unit)
24v instructions (2 in series)
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:23 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,296 Posts
One last thing, on all the big chargers, to get the rated output you need a 24v power supply. Check out the specs carefully. Typically you can only get about half the output with a 12v power supply.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:25 PM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
In my opinion the PowerLab 8/10 has been unseated as the best charger. The new bada$$ is the iCharger 4010 duo. For $350 you get two channels that can each output 40 Amps at up to 10S Lipo, simultaneously. Or, it lets you bridge them together for 70 amp output. Dude, 1400 watts per channel! Hey, its got a dang color screen too that I think plays old playstation games or something (not really on the games). They throw in two paraboards free too. You will need one really serious power supply to get the most out of this.

If you want the best this is it.
Get it here, or here
Thanks but with this don't I also have to buy a 2000W power source, etc to get that power out of it....isn't it limited by the pwr source? What's a good Watt# to get in a PSU.? 350W? 600/ or 1000 , etc?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:29 PM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
958 Posts
Also meant to ask re the I-chargers....what is different about the 4 digit models over the older 3 digit models? I- 206 vs 3010 etc? Any idea besides newer?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:36 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Thanks but with this don't I also have to buy a 2000W power source, etc to get that power out of it....isn't it limited by the pwr source? What's a good Watt# to get in a PSU.? 350W? 600/ or 1000 , etc?
On any charger the power supply coming in has to be at least a little more powerful than the rate at which you are trying to charge at. You don't need a 2000w ps for that 4010 to operate in general, but would need that (actually 2800w +) to run the charger at its max output.

What is your application? Will you be charging multiple 4,5, or 6S packs in parallel? What capacity and how many? If so get about 1000w ps. The post where I show the 24v HP ps (~$40, is 24v 47A 1128W). If you are in Gary's situation (only charging RX packs and little batteries for foamies) then ignore every post I've made in the last two hours.

I throw 6x 6S lipo (from 3000 to 3800 mah each) on one parallel board and crank it up to the max 30 amps. This only yields a 1.5C charge rate, takes about 35 to 40 minutes and gives me 3 flights on my 600 size heli. When I eventually get a 700 heli and will be charging 6S-5000 packs (two per flight) I'll be wishing I had a 40 amp charger.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:37 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Also meant to ask re the I-chargers....what is different about the 4 digit models over the older 3 digit models? I- 206 vs 3010 etc? Any idea besides newer?
Numbers = max amp output and max lipo cell count
206 = 20 amp max and up to 6S lipo
3010 = 30 amp max and up to 10S lipo