HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
need help build my first quad for long range fpv

Hi iv been looking to build a quad for awhile now and been research alot on what components go into making one fly. it seems there is alot ov choice out there on what flight controller and batteries ect to use, having never built one im pritty overwhelmed lol

Iv got about 350-400 to spend, about $550 dollars.was gona buy most ov the stuff from hobbyking, after Chinese new year ov course but need some help buying the write stuff. I wana make the quad as efficient as possible for long flight times and long range fpv.

Iv read the quad 101 blog that was very help full, Im planning on building a quad simmilar to the one n3m1s1s builds. was hope to get some more advice which flight board to get? the hk kk board which is very cheap or the KK Multicopter 5.5v? and how many lipos will i need?does the hole quad run of one 11v?

what is best for fpv? i see on hk they have the fat shark predator kit which looks very good and at the write price,but am i better of buying a 5.8ghz setup straight of for better range?

this is what im thinking il need so far but just for the quad, what else am i missing :P probably loads ov stuff

HK-T6A-V2 Hobby King 2.4Ghz Receiver 6Ch V2 1
HK-SS18A Hobbyking SS Series 15-18A ESC 4
DT700 hexTronik DT700 Brushless Outrunner 700kv 4
HXVDISPLAY hexTronik Voltage Display 2
Z30003S-20 ZIPPY Flightmax 3000mAh 3S1P 20C 2
AM-9017B Male JST battery pigtail 10cm length (10pcs/ 1
AM-9017A Female JST battery pigtail 12cm length (10pc 1
601A-12-10cm XT60 Male w/ 12AWG Silicon Wire 10cm (5pcs/b 1
QUAD-CON16K HobbyKing Quadcopter Control Board V2.1 1
Quadcopter HobbyKing Quadcopter Frame V1 1
HCB-10 10X6 Propellers (Standard and Counter Rotati 1
adam88888 is offline Find More Posts by adam88888
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Jun 2011
216 Posts
A long range FPV quad is futile. You are severely limited by flight time.
Saneless is offline Find More Posts by Saneless
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:59 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,073 Posts
Also with the price tag of FPV equipment on there I would go for a little higher quality components.
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,382 Posts
1/2mi clear video w/100% rssi @ low altitude. I wouldn't call 1/2mi long range but more moderate range.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=274782

HK-T6A-V2 Hobby King 2.4Ghz Receiver 6Ch V2 1 <-AVOID, get the LeaderHobby 9CH or Turnigy 9X if your on a budget, so you can at least add FRSky+booster or UHF when you find out what a long range multicopter requires. Neither are great quality, but the recommended alternative is a Futaba 9 channel which accepts RF modules.

HK-SS18A Hobbyking SS Series 15-18A ESC 4 <-God NO, gobs of problems with these esc's on multicopters. Get Turnigy Plush or RCTimer 18A

DT700 hexTronik DT700 Brushless Outrunner 700kv 4 <-78g EACH. Can be efficient with GemFan 11x4.7's carbon (goodluckbuy) but your copter with be heavy. Flying will feel like swinging a bowling ball around on a rope.

Z30003S-20 ZIPPY Flightmax 3000mAh 3S1P 20C 2 -> Zippy 4000 3S or maybe 5000 3S if your gonna use the DT700's

QUAD-CON16K HobbyKing Quadcopter Control Board V2.1 1 -> Can be done, but video loss=flip everytime. Recommend FreeFlight or maybe Rabbit

Quadcopter HobbyKing Quadcopter Frame V1 1 - Lots of crashes ahead and this one won't last past one good crash. Get something much more durable or learn how to build your own frames using local materials.

HCB-10 10X6 Propellers (Standard and Counter Rotati 1 <- Cheapo electric props. These are gonna cone, vibrate and will be inefficient with a DT700. Get the appropriate size GemFan Carbon Nylon props from Flyduino.

I'm seeing about a week maybe 2 spent on this list. 6 months reading RCG multicopters is a start. Copy what has worked from others. 1 post indicates your new to multicopters. Consider the I-FLY w/Rabbit or Freeflight F/C from GLB and learn how to fly first (Carefree mode might make the process easier). Then look at adding the 200mW 5.8Ghz VTx from FPVHobby plus CP antennas from IBcrazy or Markus.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Jan 17, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:37 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
506 Posts
I am on a similar trip. I originally wanted to try quad for long range FPV, then got realistic. I decided that the feiyu tech x4, with the FY-91Q and GPS compass was the best choice for me. I am using the Fatshark RC922, w/ 600mW HK vid Tx. I agree with patrick, avoid the t-6a, and spend a few bucks more.. I have both, one is a toy, the other is a very useful tool. Right now I am still getting used to flying the x4.... In the end, I decided it wasn't worth the head ache to try and make my own quad, especially as a newb. I am also sure that shaving corners will only cost more in the end ;(

Feiyu x4 $225
Feiyu FY30A $150
Turnigy 9x $50
3300mAh 30c $40
Xtra stuff $20 (BEC, thread lock...)

Call it $500 , plus shipping...

All and all I think this is the best performance / cost system going....
The long range FPV is done with a fixed wing, because they actually fly!! haha... good luck!
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:24 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
I'm also in the process of creating an FPV quad and slowly my setups being more applicable for long range. Its not as if I bought fpv gear for that but because 2.4ghz is no good for fpv with my spektrum gear and 35mhz feels like moving backwards I ended up with 459mhz UHF bearing in mind though the UK 459mhz ezUHF is 100mw so is it long range? not sure but I guess its a lot more than standard rc tx's outputting 10mw on 2.4ghz.

I love looking at peoples fpv setups the main problem I'm having at the moment is separating the vtx antenna far enough away from my hf reciever AND GPS. Problem is my GPS needs to be in the center plate so I'm coming up with inventive ways of mounting the vtx antenna at a distance.

Also I'm using a 1.3ghz cloverleaf antenna so another problem there as the antenna is pretty big and fragile.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,572 Posts
5-10 minute flight times doesn't give you long range capabilities. That said I flew a mile away from my groundstation on 1.2ghz with diversity and a patch sunday according to google earth
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:06 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
daign,

you flew 1 mile away with 5-10min runtimes? Wow, how fast were you going?

Did you walk a mile to get the multicopter back?
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Yeah i am a complete noob to rc flying so i think il just start with the basics. build a stable quad first and then think about my fpv set up. Its taken me about a week ov googling to get this far.

My shopping list so far, hopefully thats everything need to get me in the air.

1KK MK X525 V3 QuadCopter Folding Red/Balck $42
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/kk-mk-x52...lticoptor.html

1Free Flight FF Auto Balance Controller with 3D Acceleration QuadCopter $50
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/free-flig...on-sensor.html

1GEMFAN Carbon Nylon 11x4.7" CW CCW Propeller For MultiCopter 2 Pairs $11
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/gemfan-ca...1147-1147r-cw- ccw-propeller-for-multicopter-2-pairs.html

4hexTronik DT700 Brushless Outrunner 700kv $44
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_700kv.html

4TURNIGY Plush 18amp Speed Controller $44
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4312

1Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 1) (v2 Firmware) $40
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FVBlfAodDHRPlQ

1XT60 Male w/ 12AWG Silicon Wire 10cm (5pcs/bag) $5
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10254

1Female JST battery pigtail 12cm length (10pc $2
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9683

1Male JST battery pigtail 10cm length (10pcs/bag) $2
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9682

1ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 20C $26
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8579

Will this setup fly nicely or be really bad handling? Can i just buy smaller props to add some agility?

Alot ov the parts are on back order on hobbyking,has anyone had experience with this? it will probably take months for my order to come with Chinese new year aswel :s
adam88888 is offline Find More Posts by adam88888
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,382 Posts
Looking better Adam,

Unless you prefer throttle on the right, I recommend the US standard Mode 2 for the Turnigy 9X.

That frame doesn't have much room for anything more than a F/C board, Rx and lipo. Where's the camera, VTx, antenna and eventual OSD/GPS going to fit? Look into some of the spider style quad frames with room up front for a camera and some in the back for VTx and misc electonics.

Also be aware that aluminum arms not only can block RF video signal but will send motor vibration straight to the baseplate; making video look like a blur (CCD) or jello (CMOS). Even with wooden arms dampening vibration, I've had to spend ~$50 on precision prop and motor balancing tools, to get even half-way decent video.

5000mAh 3S is about right for good distance & duration on those motors, but on 2nd thought your in for lots of crashes. The heavier your quad the more the damage caused, so you were right in thinking to start with 3000Mah to learn with.

On the details side, lots of servo wire is always handy to have around for wiring video equipment and as power wires for small electronics.

Regarding video antennas....I've tried stock omni, half-wave and V-dipole and none produced anywhere close to decent video until I switched to CP antennas. You'll either need to learn how to build and solder them together for yourself or pay someone else $65 a set. Any antenna (including CP) requires clear LOS back to your video reciever, even when the copter is flying away or towards you and it's tilted at an angle. It's not an afterthought you can just stick anywhere on your frame; it's got to be high up on top or way down below without components obstructing it. That also means the antenna will usually be vulnerable to crashes and CP antennas crush easily. Keep this in mind when your deciding whether to buy or build them. The 5.8GHz one's are more resielient to just bending them back in to place after a crash but they're also more sucectable to being blocked by onboard or external objects. Still though, I think 5.8GHz is fast becoming a better choice than 1.3Ghz and defintely 900Mhz. Read the RCG thread on the 5.8GHz 200mW Vtx/VRx with dual A/V output from FPVHobby. Get a decent camera with wide angle 2.8mm lens. The KPC VSN505 is awesome but weighes 50g, your average 23g 520TVL CCD board cam is fine but colors usually aren't as vivid, and FPVHobbies little 8.9g CMOS w/wide angle lens isn't half bad (good color but terrible in low light and jello effect with vibration).
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Jan 18, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:00 PM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
Also be aware that aluminum arms not only can block RF vvideo signal but will send motor vibration straight to the baseplate; making video look like a blur (CCD) or jello (CMOS). Even with wooden arms dampening vibration, I've had to spend ~$50 on precision prop and motor balancing tools, to get even half-way decent video.
YMMV, I'm using frame with alu arms and the picture I get is gorgeous -I get bumps because of PID setting but not vibrations... and this is without balancing props (not that they need it from my experiments) and doing ANY dampening. I actually believe dampening is the main cause of more visible secondary vibrations caused BY the dampening
zviratko is offline Find More Posts by zviratko
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:41 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
daign,

you flew 1 mile away with 5-10min runtimes? Wow, how fast were you going?

Did you walk a mile to get the multicopter back?
I get 12+ minute flight times.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Well if this is a competition I get 20-25minutes but now that I'm in the process of installing fpv gear this might change as the weight increases hopefully not drastically.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
5-10 minute flight times doesn't give you long range capabilities. That said I flew a mile away from my groundstation on 1.2ghz with diversity and a patch sunday according to google earth
any OSD video to prove your 1 mile round trip flight (2 miles)?
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:11 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,632 Posts
If you really want to get some long flight times in, try the fpvmanuals.com tricopter kit, use wood instead of CF. Use the NX4008's if you can find them that is, and 4S. Remember, keep it light as you can. That frame choice is actually pretty heavy. I just built one for a friend. I am currently building 2 more using that frame for another friend and another person on RCG. Also, the mounting area is somewhat small if you plan to mount FPV equipment. I actually did not choose that frame for any of their builds. As for your flight controller, I suggest something with a good auto-level in case you get into a hairy situation where you need to pause, look around, and get your bearings. AL helps me when that happens.

Most important of all though. LEARN to fly the quad before you ever mount anything FPV to it. Get to know it like it's second nature. If you think flying a quad is easier FPV, I can assure you are in for a huge surprise. I've advised several friends/acquaintances on this very statement. I'm pretty sure anyone flying not only multirotor FPV, but FPV in general will agree.
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf