HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:31 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,360 Posts
Discussion
World Tex covering

I'm restoring a 40 year old Original German Telemaster. Currently covered with Silk and dope, the covering is so brittle a mere touch with ones finger puts a hole in the fabric. It is painted Cub yellow.

I'm considering WorldTex, as I do not like the plastic look of Monokote or the other plastic coverings. I've used Linen WorldTex which has a nice fabric weave, and found that superior Autobody paint gives a very nice finish, but I see that WorldTex comes in color. I just don't know if the colored version still has the fabric weave that I am looking for. Is there a builder out there that can provide some personal experience with the colored product?

Thanks

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:42 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,119 Posts
World tex is the same as Colortex and Solartex. You do not state your location but if in the USA, BalsaUSA handles Solartex. Excellent choice for covering IMHO.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:20 PM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,360 Posts
Might have missed the point of my question Rodney, but thanks.

Let me try and be more specific. I've just restored this old plane

I ordered the linen WorldTex and then used very high grade auto paint (SEM) first 2 coats primer, then color. If you look closely you can see that the linen fabric weave is still present.

I'm now working a new restoration, I do NOT want plastic Monokote, Solorfilm, Solartex type of finishes. So here's my question.

World Tex offers coverings in colors as well as just antique linen. Since there's none in any local Hobby shop, I'm asking if the colored heat shrink materiel retains the fabric weave, or is it just the plastic finish of SolarTex/Monokote?

The reason I'm asking is the using the Antique Linen, and then the High end auto paint is expensive. 25 bucks a roll, (I'll need 2 rolls) then the paint which is 15 bucks a can, (figure 1 can of primer and 2 of color with tax, another 50 bucks....

If I can get the color yellow (needs to be Cub yellow) and it retains the weave, I'ld be delighted.

Anyone use the colored version of WorldTex, what is the texture?

Thanks.

Oh, I'll probably still need a can of SEM Clear, just to keep the dirt out.

KKKKFL
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:41 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,427 Posts
You used Worldtex, and don't want to use Solartex ? What's the difference between the two ?

With the "tex" in their name, both should provided a fabric look. I know that Solartex does, even after multiple coats of paint.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:37 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,360 Posts
Thanks,
Ya know I didn't realize that the Tex was referring to Texture... Our LHS doesn't stock anything but film type coverings... You were saying SolarTex, and what I was seeing in the hobby shop was probably Solar FILM... not tex... So a final question then is what difference is there between Antique Linen and just the colored version? maybe Antique Linen referrs to the color and not the texture and that is what is throwing me...

I do know that the Antique Linen took the High End Auto body paint really well. I was super pleased with the shrink qualities, although some of the edges are peeling and I've had to CA them back down.

Thanks again for the info. Think I'll order the yellow version and just put a coat of Clear SEM paint on top so that fuel and grease can be easily wiped off.

KKKKFL
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:51 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,427 Posts
Antique Linen does refer to the color. Since I paint my models, I prefer to use Natural.

Sealing the Fabric with a clear is a good idea. Be aware, however that the SEM product may not be fuel proof.

Warbird Colors and Nelson's Hobby Specialties both sell waterborne clears that will work well over "tex" coverings. Both are fuel proof to 15%.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,360 Posts
I did see streaking on the side where fuel dripped during fueling, so you might be correct there. Burnt fuel didn't seem to make any difference, but then the nitro is long gone and what you have left is just the oil.

KKKKFL
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:48 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,119 Posts
All the tex's (Solartex, Colortex, Worldtex etc. )are fuel proof and do not require any paint to fuel proof them. However, since they are fabric with a grain, they will collect dirt etc. and, if you clear coat or paint them, it makes them easier to clean after flying.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:41 PM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,360 Posts
Thanks guys.
Gonna shoot for some of that stuff recommended as I keep models forever.

KKKKFL
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:47 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,360 Posts
Refurbish build report on the Telemaster...

I ordered 2 rolls of WorldTex yellow, and the color is perfect Cub yellow. That's the good news, the bad news is that 2 rolls wasn't enough. I got the fuselage covered, and have a little left over, but the wings are another story. The chord is just big enough that I cannot get tops and bottoms covered with one roll. I want a continuous cover goind from root to tip, so I'm stuck needing a roll for each surface (4 rolls) I had to break down and order 3 more rolls. Ouch. This plane is 35 years old, I may as well do the job so that it lasts another 35 years. Here's some pics the way it looked once pulled from the attic

Wing and tail feathers

Holes and patches

Super Tiger Blue head .60 was disassembled cleaned and started seems to run nicely.

KKKKFL
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:22 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,119 Posts
A little more work but if you need the large (wide) sheets, consider Ceconite from Aircraft Spruce Specialities. It is a fabric but has no paint or adhesives. You can get it in many weights, just get the lightest for models. This is the fabric used on the full scale fabric covered planes and you use the same techniques to apply it to models. You can get it in as long a roll as you want and (if I remember correctly) 4 or 5 feet wide.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:30 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,360 Posts
Thanks Rodney,
I already sent off for the WorldTex 3 additional rolls, but I'll keep the tip in mind in case I pull out something else from the attic.

KKKKFL