HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DJO, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:28 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Idea
I Think I'm Going to Get Back Into R/C Helicopters

For a while I've been interested only in planes, but I really do like helicopters. I started with a helicopter that was too hard for a beginner to fly (Heli-Max AXE CPv3), and I guess that I thought that they really were impossible to fly, so I moved on to planes. Well, I really need something R/C to do around the house here, because the only time that I get to fly my planes is on the weekends, when my dad can drive me to the local soccer field. Of course, it's been windy on the weekends and fine on the week days these months, and it's just going to get worse. So, I think that I'm going to get a Blade 120 SR BNF helicopter for my birthday - I'll just have to convince my mom to get it! Actually, I'll probably just buy it used from here on RC Groups. Now that I have some positive feedback on here finally, I'll be able to buy/sell/trade with other members easier.

What really convinced me to start getting back into R/C helicopters was when I was at the New England Air Museum for the Open Cockpit Event. You can see that blog post of mine HERE. I was talking to a guy sitting next to two large helicopters, and he said that he'd actually flown both of them before, and never really got into fixed-wing flight. He was part of the Central Connecticut R/C Club. I went on their website and eventually got into the FAQ section for the club, and there was only one question. So, I clicked on it, and here's what I got:

Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Are helicopter hard to fly?
Answer: Yes, but once you learn they are much more capable aircraft than fixed wing. And transitioning to fixed wing is pretty easy.

Much more capable than fixed wing. Hmm... sure, R/C helicopter may be harder to fly, set up, repair, and buy (more expensive), but they are more CAPABLE than fixed wing. Which means more tricks once you get good, and more expertise needed to control them. I really like how that answer is stated, and it got me thinking. After a while, flying with my Tuff Trainer every weekend only in winds (and crashing a lot because of them) will eventually just get boring. If I got a helicopter, I could use a around the house, inside, and even outside when the weather permits. I'll have options, so I can either fly my helicopter one day, and the plane the next, or both on the same day!

I think that because I got that Heli-Max AXE CPv3 as my first helicopter, that's been engraved in all my family member's brains that I'm never going to fly an R/C helicopter because I crashed my first one. Now I just have to find a way to convince them that that's not true - by getting a starter helicopter. I already know the basics of helicopter flight, from all my work on many simulators (FMS, RC Desk Pilot, BMI Flight Simulator, and now HeliSimRC (blog post on that HERE), and I used to have a coaxial Brookstone R/C helicopter in which I conquered the basics of flight - until the electronics fried on that cheap toy R/C helicopter.

I'm looking forward to getting back into helicopters, and my birthday is in only a few weeks, which will give me enough time to transfer some money to PayPal, post a thread, and buy a used helicopter.

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DJO; Jan 18, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:42 AM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
1. I am glad you are getting back into Helis. THey are hard, but very rewarding when you get the hang of it

2. B-day: Does that mean that you will be old enough to get your Google account and google powered RC website back?
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:47 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
My first RC was FP heli, second RC was a CP heli, third and fourth planes... My very first plane flight after helis went so smooth and relaxing that I have yet to crash my first plane... (though I have crashed my second a few times but it is an aerobatic micro... )

They are 100% correct when they say transition from heli to plane is easy, though I still love both and fly both .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:51 PM
Agressive driver
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
My first RC was FP heli, second RC was a CP heli, third and fourth planes... My very first plane flight after helis went so smooth and relaxing that I have yet to crash my first plane... (though I have crashed my second a few times but it is an aerobatic micro... )

They are 100% correct when they say transition from heli to plane is easy, though I still love both and fly both .
I would have to agree. I learned on planes first, and I can now do all sorts of aerobatics with my Parkzone micro. And I can't even hover my CP heli
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:57 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I think the advantage of flying heli's first is you learn the concept of small and carefully controlled stick movements, on a plane it isn't such a big deal, but on a heli it can make a huge difference.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
Agressive driver
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I think the advantage of flying heli's first is you learn the concept of small and carefully controlled stick movements, on a plane it isn't such a big deal, but on a heli it can make a huge difference.
You also learn to control the left stick side to side movements. Comming from learning to fly on a 3 channel plane controlling the tail as well as the rotor head angle has been the hardest thing for me to get used to
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:15 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
I know how planes fly, and have practiced a lot with helicopters on simulators, so I know basic maneuvers. I will see what type of helicopter I can get for only $50... that's my budget. LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:17 PM
Agressive driver
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Hobbyking
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:26 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
They don't sell BNF helicopters that will work with Spektrum DSM2 TX's, and I REALLY don't need another TX sitting around. And, yes, I will be getting my Google account back.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
Agressive driver
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Good about google. Bad about helis. Are there any on Hobbyking that could have an Orange RX put in them?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:31 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Well, maybe I should just get one of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F_Mode_2_.html

I'll think about it... any ideas? You have any helicopters you could sell to me?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:54 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
755 Posts
I started my serious heli flying with a blade mSr. It could handle indoor flying and was mostly crash survivable. Then I moved to collective pitch.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:58 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
I'm looking for a Blade mSR, hopefully someone will have one cheap.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1576187
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:01 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanek View Post
1. I am glad you are getting back into Helis. THey are hard, but very rewarding when you get the hang of it

2. B-day: Does that mean that you will be old enough to get your Google account and google powered RC website back?
Wait... no website will be back, I have to create a whole new account.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:34 AM
Agressive driver
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Wait... no website will be back, I have to create a whole new account.
Darn. O well