SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:47 AM
Joined Aug 2010
200 Posts
Discussion
AMAZING RC BIRD!! "Ornithopter"

I had never seen one of these before so when I saw it I just had to know more about it. Holy crap awesome!! Ornithopters are probably my new favourite RC gadget. Enjoy!

AMAZING ROBOT BIRD!! Original RC Ornithopter!! (2 min 4 sec)
RobscoRC is offline Find More Posts by RobscoRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:09 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
erm.. I had one about 10 years ago, the 60" Slow Hawk. They're quite popular - there's a reason we have a whole sub-forum dedicated to them:
http://www.rcgroups.com/ornithopters-101/
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Just the smile on the persons face says it all, wished I could find a rc plane tht way less the flapping.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:32 AM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,289 Posts
Really cool!!
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Aug 2010
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
erm.. I had one about 10 years ago, the 60" Slow Hawk. They're quite popular - there's a reason we have a whole sub-forum dedicated to them:
http://www.rcgroups.com/ornithopters-101/
..a
Wow i had no idea they got that large! Or had there own forum. Sorry!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:59 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I love to play combat with the buzzards with my P-51. I wonder how they would react to something like this. And how about mockingbirds?
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Aug 2010
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
I love to play combat with the buzzards with my P-51. I wonder how they would react to something like this. And how about mockingbirds?
haha actually in the manuel for this orni it says NEVER fly around birds because the sounds of the motor apparently imitate a hawks sound for aggression.. that would be AWESOME!! we have a hawk that lives near our field in the summer, its taken out a few gliders..
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:44 AM
United States, AL, Gardendale
Joined Dec 2011
2,347 Posts
When I flew control liners as a pimple faced punk, in the evening, birds would come out in the evening to challenge what I was flying.

They got into the circle and annoyed me.
I never got one...

Years later, two birds killed my RC planes!

One was the day before my first kid was born. We found out that day it would be a scheduled c-section so I went flying to burn off some tension.
A bird flying off the Huntsville, Al dump caught my plane right at the root of the left wing.

It was a draw; two birds went down; one balsa, one feathered.

About 10 years later, a crow and my Uproar shared a point in time. The bird flew away... after knocking the vertical fin off the Uproar.
The Uproar died about 30 seconds later after my attempts to save it ran out of talent, ideas, and altitude
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined Aug 2010
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBen View Post
When I flew control liners as a pimple faced punk, in the evening, birds would come out in the evening to challenge what I was flying.

They got into the circle and annoyed me.
I never got one...

Years later, two birds killed my RC planes!

One was the day before my first kid was born. We found out that day it would be a scheduled c-section so I went flying to burn off some tension.
A bird flying off the Huntsville, Al dump caught my plane right at the root of the left wing.

It was a draw; two birds went down; one balsa, one feathered.

About 10 years later, a crow and my Uproar shared a point in time. The bird flew away... after knocking the vertical fin off the Uproar.
The Uproar died about 30 seconds later after my attempts to save it ran out of talent, ideas, and altitude
HOLY CRAP!! thats a great story man.. ours aren't as cool.. The Hawk ignores anything loud luckily, so helicopters and normal planes are clear but gliders on the other hand... It hates them!! Dive bombs all the time.. We try not to fly around it but he always comes in. We don't want to hurt the bird but he sure hates gliders...