HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:51 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I am on a similar thought, I ALWAYS make sure a battery is fully charged before use, however there are circumstances when one may not, I have a buddy that built a plane that is silly efficient, with a 5000mah battery it will fly for 2 hours easy, he will fly for 10 minutes or so at a time and do so most of the day on a single battery.
If I had a plane like that, I would take a note of the mah usage after every flight and then just add the values up . I would only use up 4000 mah. (80 % of capacity).
To use 4000 mah in 2 hours there must be allot of gliding , catching thermals or slope soaring going on to use only that much. Too bad a plane like that is flown at only 10 minute intervals.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:18 PM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
714 Posts
Hi, yesterday I crashed my plane with my fy31 onboard.
I repaired the plane and I flew it today, but I noticed the fy is acting weird.
The ACM is abrupt and its not keeping the circle it used to.
The RTH is just wrong. My red light is not showing any errors, just the normal double blink when it has GPS lock.
Should I reset the AP using the jumper?
Can someone destroy the internals of the AP with a crash?
Have you ever had a crash with your AP 31 onboard?
Any help is welcome.
Thank you

Sakis
sgrouts is online now Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:21 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Try resetting the gyros. Then make sure you keep your finger on your mode selector to quickly get it back to rc mode if it shows inconsistency. The gyros are most likely tiny tuning forks and don't like the shock of a crash.

Make sure you test all it's functions in a variety of conditions before trusting it again. Mine once thought it was upside down when flying on a level path. Try shaking the plane and spinning the plane while it is on the ground to see if the artificial horizon displays and updates correctly.

I had a problem with mine. I thought my unit was functioning fine until I had a strong gust of wind. Then it was like the unit became dizzy and then quite fight for control to safely land.
Integratedneck is offline Find More Posts by Integratedneck
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
I have a similar odd problem with the artificial horizon.
I first tested the AP in a plane everything worked 100%.
1 week later I added the Hornet + fpv equipment and the artificial horizon keeps showing wrong in flight and directly effects the AP control over the plane. On the ground the Horizon shows correctly?
Any ideas?

And even while gliding so it rules out vibration
GTiDonavan is offline Find More Posts by GTiDonavan
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:30 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrouts View Post
Hi, yesterday I crashed my plane with my fy31 onboard.
I repaired the plane and I flew it today, but I noticed the fy is acting weird.
The ACM is abrupt and its not keeping the circle it used to.
The RTH is just wrong. My red light is not showing any errors, just the normal double blink when it has GPS lock.
Should I reset the AP using the jumper?
Can someone destroy the internals of the AP with a crash?
Have you ever had a crash with your AP 31 onboard?
Any help is welcome.
Thank you

Sakis
After a crash it's recommended to check out your AP circuit board with a magnifying glass . Yes you are voiding your warranty by opening the case but I consider the warranty to be voided by crashing it. I also resolder all the header
pins that servo connections were hooked up to and all the GPS connections.
I had a real bad crash with my Skywalker last summer when an aileron jammed
down.I had an FY -20 stabilizer on it and found that the surface mount crystal
broke off the circuit board. I resoldered it back on and ground tested it and then
installed it another plane and its been working fine so far.
I'm not sure if the gyros on the Fy-20 are the same as the Fy - 31 AP but my gyros were not affected by the severe crash.
I would guess that your GPS connections might have got damaged and intermittent. I would do some vibration testing.
Re-certifying your electronic equipment after a crash involves allot of scrutiny
and ground testing .

Good Luck!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:58 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiDonavan View Post
I have a similar odd problem with the artificial horizon.
I first tested the AP in a plane everything worked 100%.
1 week later I added the Hornet + fpv equipment and the artificial horizon keeps showing wrong in flight and directly effects the AP control over the plane. On the ground the Horizon shows correctly?
Any ideas?

And even while gliding so it rules out vibration
Chances are pretty good that the FPV equipment you installed is causing interference. Need to know more about your setup to really say precisely what.
The typical troublemakers involve conflicts between the telemetry and the GPS systems.
Solutions involve RF filtering and or physically separating the systems.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
Chances are pretty good that the FPV equipment you installed is causing interference. Need to know more about your setup to really say precisely what.
The typical troublemakers involve conflicts between the telemetry and the GPS systems.
Solutions involve RF filtering and or physically separating the systems.
The GPS signal doesnt seem to be effected. The launch point etc picks up very well. 9 satellites. The FPV antenna is about 40cm from the AP although the video transmitter is about 5cm away....
Ill test again only turning off video then to see what it does. Has anybody had something like this?
Video tx is 1040mhz and it has a low pass filter on
I will upload the video
Last edited by GTiDonavan; Nov 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Here is the vid, you can see horizon is correct before take off, then in flight it drifts.
You can see the effect on ABM and RTL as it tries to level the plane to the artificial horison.. I had to fight it with the sticks

FY31AP Artificial Horizon Error After Attaching FPV Gear (2 min 19 sec)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:12 AM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
714 Posts
Quote:
Here is the vid, you can see horizon is correct before take off, then in flight it drifts.
You can see the effect on ABM and RTL as it tries to level the plane to the artificial horison.. I had to fight it with the sticks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTYcn...1&feature=plcp
I just got a reply from FY. They advice me to reinstall the firmware, check my BEC and servos and record my neutral again.

Your situation reminds me of mine, but I crashed before this happens.

Sakis
sgrouts is online now Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
I just can't replicate the problem on the ground,but have checked again. My esc and video tx is very close to the AP. The temps in the cockpit also quite high in the video. Can any of this effect the horizon? What sensors does it work from? The metal case of the AP is a good shield against magnetic and rf interference.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:43 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
I would move the video TX and data modem if you have one as far away as possible and re-fly... or simply unplug the video TX and re-fly to see if your problem still exists.

That case will do pretty much nothing agains a 500mw video TX signal.

Oh and BTW low pass filters are not all they are cracked up to me... I actually notice some bad things happen on mine when I use it and took it off. Bad things were poor video reception and less RC range... yes I know it makes no sense but that's what happened.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
732 Posts
i had this with the artificial horizon after i flashed the fy31ap and forgot to reset gyro and level.. works fine since gyro reset and level.
motofox is offline Find More Posts by motofox
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:56 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
772 Posts
Quote:
I just can't replicate the problem on the ground,but have checked again. My esc and video tx is very close to the AP. The temps in the cockpit also quite high in the video. Can any of this effect the horizon? What sensors does it work from? The metal case of the AP is a good shield against magnetic and rf interference.
Temperature is quite normal. You are actually measuring the temp inside the Hornet, and is almost always like that. So it is NOT indicating the outside temp.

I think it is more likely a vibration problem, as you cannot replicate it on the ground, only in flight. So if I were you, I would check:

- Are you using the anti vibration pads (They do an excellent job)
- Is the AP touching the fuselage (It should be real free)
- Are the wires to the AP free (I use like a U-Turn for a few centimeters)
- Did you balance your prop (At certain RPM's, you could have bad vibration)

Then, as others mentioned, put your GPS antenna as far away from anything that radiates as possible. I had interference from my 5.8 video TX before, after moving it away, no problem anymore.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:07 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
I would move the video TX and data modem if you have one as far away as possible and re-fly... or simply unplug the video TX and re-fly to see if your problem still exists.

That case will do pretty much nothing agains a 500mw video TX signal.

Oh and BTW low pass filters are not all they are cracked up to me... I actually notice some bad things happen on mine when I use it and took it off. Bad things were poor video reception and less RC range... yes I know it makes no sense but that's what happened.

Steve
questioning the quality of rf filters is something worth checking out.
The first big question is how much is it attenuating the signal that your trying to transmit.
the second big question is how much is it attenuating the rf signals you want to reject.
Sometimes its best to use a notch filter and other times its best to use a bandpass filter. I prefer using a bandpass filter. ( just transmit the frequency that you want to transmit and not its harmonics).
Refering to IBCrazy's threads might give some ideas on what is best
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1758166
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:03 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
This is a very challenging problem. Allot of good ideas have been given.
It will be very interesting to find out what the trouble maker really is.

Good Luck!