HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:51 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
Mha consumption is your real fuel gage.
In theory yes it is, but it's not really all that accurate none the less, I would say it can be 10% off easily most of the time, maybe even a little more. Often on my Bix when it said I used 2100mah in reality the battery would only take back usually around 1800mah, it's not a huge difference but it is over 10%. On my new SSS with a 5000mah battery that means the reported number at the end of it could easily be off by over 600mah or more, and that is quite a bit.

The thing with voltage is it let's you know where your battery is at. I.E. let's say you have consumed roughly 60% of your capacity, and you go WOT, it's very likely the voltage will sag below 11.1 (on a 3s), it could even sag way less even into danger zone depending on things, so when I fly I am careful to never let voltage get below 11.1 under normal conditions or 10.8 under heavy loads, and as you fly along and the battery depletes you will find this sag gets worse which is perfectly normal. After really getting to know your plane and battery, you will 'know' when it is time to land by the sag alone, I hardly ever look at my mAh.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:14 AM
Registered User
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,122 Posts
mah consumption is not something you should use... your only real "fuel gauge" is voltage under load. If you took off with a half dead pack then watching the mah consumption would be the worst thing to do. however watching the voltage under load would tell you immediatly that you left home with half a tank.

as for all any issues that come from FY... well... come on guys this is the cheapest and easiest AP you can buy. It is not mean for professional use and of course you should have loads of flights under your belt comparing mah put back into the pack with flight times etc before you just take off into the sunset on any system.

find something better in this price range that works this well... I'd love to see it... seriously... I would.... and please don't recommend ardupilot garbage.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:47 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
mah consumption is not something you should use... your only real "fuel gauge" is voltage under load. If you took off with a half dead pack then watching the mah consumption would be the worst thing to do. however watching the voltage under load would tell you immediatly that you left home with half a tank.

as for all any issues that come from FY... well... come on guys this is the cheapest and easiest AP you can buy. It is not mean for professional use and of course you should have loads of flights under your belt comparing mah put back into the pack with flight times etc before you just take off into the sunset on any system.

find something better in this price range that works this well... I'd love to see it... seriously... I would.... and please don't recommend ardupilot garbage.

Steve
I fully agree with you on the above and that is why I mentioned the price/performance ratio in my previous post. It is not meant for professional use and we carry the responsibility for using it ourselves.

- Dont fly over populated area's
- Make sure your batteries are in good condition and charged
- Make sure all the wiring is OK
- Do a pre-flight check

And probably some more.

But nevertheless, I do agree software should be tested before released. And current consumption is a very important indication (together with voltage) to know how much "fuel" left.

They did sent me the files showing metric. I have tested, and it is OK.

Please rename them from ***.txt to ***.bin.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:51 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4 View Post
Do I have to upload both files?
No, you choose what you want to be displayed and upload that file to the Hornet.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:30 AM
Registered User
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,122 Posts
hey great thanks for posting these! and sorry I did not mean to come across in a bad way with that post... hope I did not.

Happy flying!
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:03 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
808 Posts
Hi saabguyspg,

I have afy31ap from foxtech and its faulty, ive been flying with it a few times because i did not wanna wait months for its return from china. i have to do a gyro reset every flight and have reflashed and tried various things to fox but to no avail. now its winter and would like to return but dont konw best way to go about it. do you think they would send me a new unit asap if i sent mine back to them at the same time.?

thanks

martin
motofox is offline Find More Posts by motofox
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:29 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post

find something better in this price range that works this well... I'd love to see it... seriously... I would.... and please don't recommend ardupilot garbage.

Steve
I am curious why you say ardupilot is garbage? The actual hardware used on it is probably better then hardware on FY31AP, and it is opensource, anyone is able to change how it works... (Assuming you know C anyway hehe).
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:04 PM
Registered User
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,122 Posts
Well I should not be so harsh but that is my opinion.

I have owned many revisions of their never ending parade of new hardware that promises to fix the issues with the last harware...

none of which has ever flown half as good as my 21AP flies, a quarter as well as 31AP and a tenth as well as my Panda

my friends have the exact same experiance.

I woud LOVE for it to work... but I am not wasting anymore money on that project again.

For 350$ the 31AP is great even with all it's little quirks and problems I would take it over adru and put it against an ardu in a heartbeat...even with no airspeed control.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:06 PM
Registered User
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,122 Posts
I doubt they will send you one at the same time but I know they will send you one back very fast.

Can you return it to your local dealer? or is there one?? That would be best but if it has to go back to china then just pack it up and send it off.

Sorry to hear it's faulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motofox View Post
Hi saabguyspg,

I have afy31ap from foxtech and its faulty, ive been flying with it a few times because i did not wanna wait months for its return from china. i have to do a gyro reset every flight and have reflashed and tried various things to fox but to no avail. now its winter and would like to return but dont konw best way to go about it. do you think they would send me a new unit asap if i sent mine back to them at the same time.?

thanks

martin
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:52 PM
Registered User
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
mah consumption is not something you should use... your only real "fuel gauge" is voltage under load. If you took off with a half dead pack then watching the mah consumption would be the worst thing to do.

Steve
I don't know why anybody would take off with a partly charged battery unless they were on some kind of a death wish. I consider it taboo to do such a thing.
I always charge my batteries just before I fly and I try to drain 80% out of my batteries Mha capacity during a flight and will usually do a few take off and landings at the end just to get to that point. Most batteries are rated for 500 charge cycles so I am trying to get the most flight time out of my batteries.
As an added measure to confirm the condition of your battery it is a good idea to keep an eye on your voltage under load. As battery performance is improving the flatter the discharge curve is getting and that makes the voltage monitoring method more difficult.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Nov 15, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:32 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
d_wheel's Avatar
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Well I should not be so harsh but that is my opinion.

I have owned many revisions of their never ending parade of new hardware that promises to fix the issues with the last harware...

none of which has ever flown half as good as my 21AP flies, a quarter as well as 31AP and a tenth as well as my Panda

my friends have the exact same experiance.

I woud LOVE for it to work... but I am not wasting anymore money on that project again.

For 350$ the 31AP is great even with all it's little quirks and problems I would take it over adru and put it against an ardu in a heartbeat...even with no airspeed control.

Steve
Amen on the FY21! I just reinstalled mine into my skywalker and am once again loving it!

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:07 AM
Registered User
bjornthans's Avatar
Norway, Troms, Skjervoy
Joined Jul 2012
871 Posts
can someone tell me the difference between these to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
I fully agree with you on the above and that is why I mentioned the price/performance ratio in my previous post. It is not meant for professional use and we carry the responsibility for using it ourselves.

- Dont fly over populated area's
- Make sure your batteries are in good condition and charged
- Make sure all the wiring is OK
- Do a pre-flight check

And probably some more.

But nevertheless, I do agree software should be tested before released. And current consumption is a very important indication (together with voltage) to know how much "fuel" left.

They did sent me the files showing metric. I have tested, and it is OK.

Please rename them from ***.txt to ***.bin.
bjornthans is offline Find More Posts by bjornthans
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fall at 70degree north
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
I don't know why anybody would take off with a partly charged battery unless they were on some kind of a death wish. I consider it taboo to do such a thing.
I always charge my batteries just before I fly and I try to drain 80% out of my batteries Mha capacity during a flight and will usually do a few take off and landings at the end just to get to that point. Most batteries are rated for 500 charge cycles so I am trying to get the most flight time out of my batteries.
As an added measure to confirm the condition of your battery it is a good idea to keep an eye on your voltage under load. As battery performance is improving the flatter the discharge curve is getting and that makes the voltage monitoring method more difficult.
I am on a similar thought, I ALWAYS make sure a battery is fully charged before use, however there are circumstances when one may not, I have a buddy that built a plane that is silly efficient, with a 5000mah battery it will fly for 2 hours easy, he will fly for 10 minutes or so at a time and do so most of the day on a single battery.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
Registered User
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I am curious why you say ardupilot is garbage? The actual hardware used on it is probably better then hardware on FY31AP, and it is opensource, anyone is able to change how it works... (Assuming you know C anyway hehe).
I just got an Ardupilot Mega 1.4 AP that I hope to work on next week . I bought it pre -programmed for fixed wing.
Even though I haven't had any serious issues with my Fy-31 AP , I want to give
the Ardupilot another try mainly because an air speed sensor can be interfaced with it and because it is open source.
Air speed indication is an important thing to know when I'm flying my aerial photography planes because I'm usually flying them close to stall speed and this past summer I had 2 crashes caused by stalling.
I'm hoping to start a new thread that compares the Fy-31 AP with the Ardupilot Mega because they are in the same price range and I consider them to be in the same category.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:08 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
I just got an Ardupilot Mega 1.4 AP that I hope to work on next week . I bought it pre -programmed for fixed wing.
Even though I haven't had any serious issues with my Fy-31 AP , I want to give
the Ardupilot another try mainly because an air speed sensor can be interfaced with it and because it is open source.
Air speed indication is an important thing to know when I'm flying my aerial photography planes because I'm usually flying them close to stall speed and this past summer I had 2 crashes caused by stalling.
I'm hoping to start a new thread that compares the Fy-31 AP with the Ardupilot Mega because they are in the same price range and I consider them to be in the same category.
If I knew a year ago what I know now about making electronics and programming chips I would of went with Ardupilot, but at the time I did not . But it's really OK because I can still achieve a lot of things I want to do anyway.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product FY thread: FY20A/FY21AP/FY3ZT/FY31AP/FY90Q/FY91Q/FY-Frame/FY-GCS/FY-OSD/FY-Dataradio yiny0730 FPV Talk 316 Sep 19, 2011 02:30 PM
Discussion Question: KK board and FY-20 or FY-90q Hamanu Multirotor Talk 2 Feb 08, 2011 05:10 PM
AXI'fy your CORONA...NIB 2820/10 iflych52 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jul 26, 2004 09:24 AM
Fy or Die ? a newbie poll Demolisher Foamies (Kits) 29 Mar 08, 2003 03:31 AM