HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
My unit started working after I fiddled with it for several hours.
The error state left as suddenly as it came.
I was not able to switch the unit to RC enable mode. What ever I did. The
31 AP was in some strange stuck mode.
Several hours after trying to wake it up it started to work as before, but
not thanks to any special action.
I have no idea what has changed, but it works now.
I was able to fly way points - It was great. All worked as it should.
Let me summarise what I have found out so far
I thought the RTL and Return point were two different positions. I realised
that was not true. If you move the Return point in your GCS away from the
take off location, the RTL position changes identically and when RTL is
activated the plane goes to where you moved the return point and not to the
departure position.
I wish the 31AP had TAS management and a payload trigger that would get
activated at predefined position.
According to what I have found - none of their more sophisticated systems
has these two features.
I am able to use our speed hold system, any one knows about a stand by gps payload trigger?
PistaJ is offline Find More Posts by PistaJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:03 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,129 Posts
panda has triggers and will have airspeed in the future...

so I am told...
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
I was told it does not. Asked them today. By the way, they were very helpful trying to solve my problem. Panda can trigger a camera on a set time period. Panda has the possibility to operate a servo output out from the gcs. No automatic gps payload trigger - no plans to implement it in their systems. Most of the basic autopilots I know have this feature. I would invest in Panda if they had it. Never mind. I will try to make one to work with FY31AP. It should use the same gps. Two servo outputs to drop a load automatically when overflying a way point.

Whould there be any interest in such a product? I can supply the airspeed hold as well.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:38 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,129 Posts
there may be some confusion here I will ask agian, they told me repeatedly they are working on airspeed management for the Panda.

As for trigger at a waypoint sorry you are right it does interval triggering but you can also trigger manually throught the gcs at anytime during the flight.

I am always interested in products.

I would like to see a stand alone airspeed management system that could be controlable via a dial on your RC TX... it would be nice to be able to set minimum and maximum airspeed values via PC then the lower end of your dial or slider is the slowest or stall speed and the highest would be max speed or whatever setting you "like" for airspeed for the airframe.

do you have such abilities to create this? sounds fun.

Steve
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
The TAS manager is less complex.

The target speed is programmed before the flight. During the flight there is no way to change it. If there is an altitude change between way points FY31 AP climbs and descents my plane very roughly. The speed manager holds this excellently.

During the steep descent the engine nearly shuts down, during the climb you can hear the engine obeying the TAS manager instructions to throttle up. It is amazing. With our old autopilot system it also affected the elevator to prevent stall. It worked nicely when the battery run out. I do not use this function though.

The payload trigger should be programmed using a pocket PC and an Oziexplorer map software. You would simply input a waypoint where the load should be dropped. The waipoint stored in the PT (payload trigger) must be positioned on your planned route saved in the 31 AP. It would use the same GPS receiver as the 31AP. That is all. It should work.

A friend of mine lives 10 km away from me on the other side of the river. The bridge is too far away. We used to send small things to each other using this method. It was surprisingly precise.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:32 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,129 Posts
what great fun that would be!

can you supply a link to the TAS?

so do you just turn the TAS on and off? obviously you want manual throttle control at times right?

Steve
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
Yes you switch it on off from the tx.
There is no linkt at the moment. I posted a picture of it before.
It is simply a partf of our old autopilot and I am trying to make it work with 31ap.
It could be redesigned to make it smaller but I would do it only if there was any interest. Let's see what other people think.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:32 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,129 Posts
ok so what autopilot was it and why did you switch?

Steve
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:45 AM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
We developed our own autopilot based on thermopiles. Info about it could be found here:
AUTOPILOT
This autopilot was developed as there was nothing within our budget on the market at that time. I consider it obsolete but its performance was very good. The alt-hold combined with speed-hold was responsible for level and speed management. I just take that, use the throttle output only and fly it as an add on to FY31AP.
Its altitude managing abilities are not used as 31AP has its own software for that. I leave that unplugged.
Its price would be somewhere around 150 USD. I do not know if it is salable for that price. If so, I could supply several units.
The GPS payload trigger would be based on our autopilot too. It would either take one of the fy31 ap waypoints as an open servo signal instruction and the next as a close servo signal instruction. In that case it would have to be joined parallely to the UART port. It could also be possible to save oziexplorer waypoints to the PT memory to execute these instructions at their positions.
The price? about 120 USD.
To program these units you would need a JetiBox

Those interested - PM me. According to what I get, I decide if it is worth producing these units.
Last edited by PistaJ; Oct 26, 2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:45 AM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,129 Posts
neat stuff but you are right, it may not be worth 150$ for airspeed control.... unless it was a fair bit more intelligent than that.... and Jeti is not in my future because of cost too...

cool though thanks for sharing!

Steve
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
That is right.
I would rather get myself a ready made product than adjusting my old stuff.
If only it was available. I would think this should be available on the market already.
Making just several peaces is always more expensive.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:25 PM
BNUC-s
Joined Feb 2012
307 Posts
can anyone shed any light on this. I have done 30 or 40 flights with my fy31 and the red light flashes all the time unless I leave it for a few days and then the first flight is ok but on return its flashing again. The fy has performed faultlessly and theres never been any issues other than this flashing light.

I know in the manual it means too much vibration but it doesn't seem to affect it at all, should I be worried about it?
biggles uk is offline Find More Posts by biggles uk
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:11 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,129 Posts
does it flash when the unit is not moving?

mine flashes as soon as you touch the plane... but it has performed flawlessly as well...

Steve
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:29 PM
BNUC-s
Joined Feb 2012
307 Posts
oh I'll not worry about it then
biggles uk is offline Find More Posts by biggles uk
Last edited by biggles uk; Nov 18, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:46 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2011
201 Posts
Hi guys,
feiyu-tech released new firmware version for Hornet OSD

version 1.6 / 01 November 2012

http://www.feiyu-tech.com/uploads/en...1031161507.rar

Krasimir
kmihalkov is offline Find More Posts by kmihalkov