HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:52 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
409 Posts
Back to a more trivial issue - I tried adjusting the rudder gain pot on my FY31, I havent tried adjusting any of the pots before.

As reported earlier by others the pots have a white coating of stuff around them. I turned the pot as gently as possible until it started turning, but when it came free it didnt stop turning. I'm guessing it's stuffed now? These pots should have limits, right?

My fy20 was solid, the pots on these fy31s appear to be junk... Has anyone resolved this issue?
I bought from bevrc so doubt I'll be able to sort this out through them
Opt is online now Find More Posts by Opt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:47 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
The first FY31AP I got the pots where so stuck they stripped from my trying to turn them, ReadyMadeRC replaced it for me and the second unit I got also where stuck but not as bad as the first one and I managed to get them to turn properly. If it is free spinning then more then likely it actually broke. FeiyuTech was going to replace it directly but ReadyMade being already in the US was a much better solution then shipping back to china, so try contacting them but contact bevrc too and see what they say. It is a known problem and no good vendor should refuse replacing it for that reason.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
Fy 31 ap

I really apologise for the questions I am going to ask. I am sure they were asked before. Reading the whole thread is difficult for me.
Until know I used FY21AP. I bought the FY31AP and I was unhappy to find out I can not fly stabilized mode when automatic altitude hold. Instead there is a nav mode which I do not use. Any help?
Also if I want to use the nav feature - is it possible to plan the waypoints and transfer them directly from the PC to the FY without the data radio?
PistaJ is offline Find More Posts by PistaJ
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistaJ View Post
I really apologise for the questions I am going to ask. I am sure they were asked before. Reading the whole thread is difficult for me.
Until know I used FY21AP. I bought the FY31AP and I was unhappy to find out I can not fly stabilized mode when automatic altitude hold. Instead there is a nav mode which I do not use. Any help?
Also if I want to use the nav feature - is it possible to plan the waypoints and transfer them directly from the PC to the FY without the data radio?
From what I understand with the new GCS and latest (as of yet unreleased 2.0 firmware), you can replace the waypoint mode with stabilized altitude hold, I have yet to test this feature myself but a few others on here can probably testify to it.

As far as waypoints go you can hookup your FY31AP to the computer just like you would for a firmware upgrade (with the USB to TTL cable supplied with it), and use the GCS software to put waypoints in without a data radio, infact ALL the data radio does is take the serial output and wirelessly transmits it, the data that goes in and out via the TTL cable to USB is identical to what goes in and out with the data radio.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
Thanks a lot I am scared of upgrading - as I red a lot of trouble might be expected.
Is there some step by step manual?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
It's really pretty easy, there is one but you may have to dig a little to find it, but I can just explain it easily. You have to download the USB driver and firmware upgrade tool from Feiyutech, as well as the firmware you wish to upgrade to, I can PM you v2.0 if you wish as it's not available from them yet. Install the USB driver, then run the firmware upgrade tool. Plug in the USB cable but NOT plugged into the FY31AP, Click on Open Port, then plug the TTL cable into the FY31AP, it should say Connection Success, then select the firmware you want to install and hit the button to upgrade it, you will see it count through the blocks of data it writes until it is finished, then it is done. IT's pretty easy.

Also when you plug the FY31AP make sure that it's not plugged into everything else other then the computer, as the USB will provide power and if you have your servos on them they will come to life, and attempt to RTH, and USB power just isn't quite enough for all of that.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:58 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post
Interesting, it is quite similar to my setup (Raptor 2m I also have, but not going to use it for long haul flights. For that I have a Skywalker). I also bought a 200mW videolink from Foxtech, as far as I know it can also give you something like 10-15 km with a custom antenna; and obviously I have a 31AP and a Hornet. But I also have a Datalink 606, and, errrr... Worst of all is that I'm a complete newcomer to FPV.
Bouhgt all the stuff and now trying to make it work all at the same time instead of beginning with a simple cheap setup and gradually getting more and more sopnisticated.
So I'm going through a lot of pain now!
With custom antenna's, you won't get more than about 2-3km, if you are lucky. I am using cloverleaf on the TX, and 6 turn helical on the RX. I get about 5km on 200mW. I also have the 500mW, that gives me around 7-8km. But it seems the 500mW isn't really 500mW, so I ordered the 400mW which should be a lot better. As soon as I tried, I let you know the result.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:34 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
My 31AP is in in heading and altitude mode instead of waypoint mode and it's AWESOME.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:21 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
1,064 Posts
Hello Steve

I hope you're feeling better by now.
Concerning the heading and altitude mode instead of waypoint mode you've mentioned, I've got the following questions:

A) when you get the readings of FY31AP configuration using CGS, does it shows "heading and altitude mode instead of waypoint mode" or it's a work of guesstimate and believe that the unit is actually settled as expected?

B) when you use the switch to put FY31AP into NAV mode (considering it was previously configured to act as heading and altitude mode instead of waypoint mode), how does it shows in Hornet OSD; does it still shows NAV or something else?

Just a side note: I've been using FY31AP and Hornet for the past 6 months and I can tell you that I've never had a single operational glitchy. It works amazingly well all the time, and I'm happy enough to purchase an additional unit for a new plane I'm building, but in other hand I fell very frustrating to rely on FeiyuTech support when it comes to provide us with prompt and precise feedback information about new great features like "heading and altitude mode" operation that was long waited.

They really fail in communicating well with their customers and I hope they can overcome it; it would be a shame to see them loosing marketshare having such great products.

Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
My 31AP is in in heading and altitude mode instead of waypoint mode and it's AWESOME.

Steve
czorzella is offline Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:51 PM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
968 Posts
F.Y.I. - FYTech's Human Interface

Name: Linda
English level: nearly fluent
Efficiency: high
Attitude: surprisingly good

Highly recommended.

Note please: she is technically a sales, not in any way an aftersales technician, so answering questions about why things don't work is not what she is getting paid for. But she is quite helpful and can sometimes get answers from those-who-know.

Anyway she is the only human being on our end of FYTech (those bots who pretend to receive and read our emails don't count of course), so if you are desperate try talking to her.

- Mark -
Cathay Stray is offline Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Oct 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
GPS execute action add on

I would like to return to the old times when a friend of mine and me developed an autopilot based on thermo piles. We used to follow our UAV plane in a real plane (I am a licensed pilot) That was a lot of fun. I posted a link to the video on RC groups.
One of our autopilot features was to execute an action upon arrival to some of the way points. We used that for triggering a camera or drop a load or what ever it could be used for. We had really great time with that. I wonder if the 31 AP could have anything like this in the future. I even think we would be able to take our old autopilot out of the drawer and see if it could be joined to the AP 31 as an add on just to drop a parachute when the uav gets to the chosen way point. Not many to choose from, but it would be fun anyway.
Last edited by PistaJ; Oct 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:31 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
i have an old Atto pilot 1.8 with thermal piles you are welcomeo buy

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:57 PM
Norway, Nordland, Leknes
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post

Steve
How do you do that?

Bjoern
Thidsa is offline Find More Posts by Thidsa
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
1,064 Posts
Thank you Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post
Name: Linda
English level: nearly fluent
Efficiency: high
Attitude: surprisingly good

Highly recommended.

Note please: she is technically a sales, not in any way an aftersales technician, so answering questions about why things don't work is not what she is getting paid for. But she is quite helpful and can sometimes get answers from those-who-know.

Anyway she is the only human being on our end of FYTech (those bots who pretend to receive and read our emails don't count of course), so if you are desperate try talking to her.

- Mark -
czorzella is offline Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:18 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Had some weird behavior on the weekend which almost resulted in a crash.

The artificial horizon seem to not be accurate especially during the wild moments I was fighting for control. Also note during this time the error number in the top left of the screen increased from always being zero to a few hundred. Please see the video and let me know if you have any ideas on what may have caused it. I am using V2.00 firmware which came pre-installed on my FY-31AP (purchased in July). The Hornet OSD is version 1.4.

Weird FY-31AP (1 min 25 sec)
Integratedneck is offline Find More Posts by Integratedneck