SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:11 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Can anyone else running FY31AP 2.0 firmware confirm if the version number programmed it to it is wrong? I flashed 2.0 to my FY the other day and after programming it still read 1.2, but I am thinking they may have forgot to update the version # in the firmware.

Other then that it does seem to fly a bit better now, they must of worked on the routines some.
I did the same, and only after a few days it read 2.0. I do not know if the number has to settle or it is because I restarted my PC, or maybe just one of those bugs. Anyway, I do agree it flies a bit better, however the flight counter now shows only half the time. I am using the Hornet and the seconds counter only increases every 2 seconds. Other than that, seems to be working OK. But I am a bit scared about using a "beta" release (it has not been officially released by Feiyu) so I flashed 1.2 back again. Funny enough it still reads 2.0. I guess it will be 1.2 in a few days......

I have noticed another issue though. Using the GCS and other Feiyu sofware may screw up your PC. I had big problem using another graphic program after I installed and removed GCS. After removal, it also removes a graphic DLL that is crucial for your PC to work normally.

So be aware on which PC you are installing the software. I now only install Feiyu software on my non-critical notebook.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:22 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Hrm I didn't pay attention to my flight time today... usually just watch my voltage and mAh... as far as the GCS goes it crashes for me anyway so I don't use it, plus I am designing my own data radio to use, I already probed the UART data coming from the FY31AP and confirmed it is identical to their protocol stored on the log files, only not comma seperated, once I have my data radio going I will probably design my own GCS.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:20 AM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
1. No please do not use the data link to fly your plane. Use your receiver to fly and the data modem to tune etc. Using the data link creates too much latency (delay) of course this is just my opinon but it's my strongest recommendation.
Steve, thank you; I don't doubt your opinion is well reasoned but, errrr.... I bought the data link hoping to expand the range - people fly as far as 15-17 km one way with the data link I have (of course, after a few modifications and replacing stock antenna with custom made one). My regular 2.4 GHz radio will at best afford me 2 km range in ideal conditions, more realistically speaking about 1 km...
Now you are saying, Throw out the data link, fly with regular radio...

Quote:
2. There should be a parallel cable from the osd to the 31AP such that the data modem shares the data. (....)
There is a black+white cable, yes, but what I meant was: IF I use the data link AND OSD, I will need to plug BOTH the data link radio unit AND the OSD unit into the same UART socket. As 2 cables cannot be plugged into one socket at the same time I will have to make a Y-cable with one head going into UART connector of the AP block, the second to the data link and the third into OSD unit.
Or, there is some other way around?

Quote:
2. (...) Note that you will not have voltage amps etc in your GCS if you use get the data on the OSD.
A bit puzzled, not sure I'm with you here. Could you explain?

(must be quite a boring thing explaining all these to newbies, I guess!)
Cathay Stray is online now Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
From my understanding of the hardware, the Hornet only listens on it's RX, it's TX is not connected to the FY31AP, so the proper connection would be to have the FY31AP's white wire split between the hornet and the data radio (It is the TX of the FY31AP and RX for the radio and hornet), you would have the data radio TX connected to the FY31AP RX, ground would be split between the hornet and data radio, and the power line I am not sure... but I do know one thing do not connect the power line if both the radio and the FY31AP are connected to power individually! It does not go to the hornet either.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:56 PM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
989 Posts
GPS short cable

Just 20 cm, good for nothing at all. So stupid/inconsiderate of FYTech.
Need to solder in an extension.
Question is, does it matter where the ring is located after the extension is in place?
Here it is roughly in the middle; should it be in the middle after modification? Or rather at same distance from (which?) end? Number of coils - matters?

Thanks...
Mark
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Center would probably be fine, it's job is to keep stray electrons from flowing on the surface of the wire itself, should be wound atleast 5 times.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Actually I want to clarify my statement of the ferrite choke placement... Ultimately you want it close to where it plugs into, this will prevent stray RF from interfering with the reception of the signal data. The idea is to choke out RF that any wire will pick up, the frequency of RF noise it picks up will depend on the length of wire (Think of the length of a normal antenna, the higher the frequency the shorter it gets), so you want to choke out interference from getting from one thing to another. If you have a device that puts out noise you want the choke as close to that device itself, if you want to choke out RF reception you want to choke it out as close to the device that is using the data as possible. In this case your best bet is close to the FY31AP where it plugs in at, becuase you do not want video TX to interfere with the GPS signal, and the GPS antenna is just that, an antenna, it does not TX just RX so it doesn't cause interference itself.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:37 PM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Actually I want to clarify my statement of the ferrite choke placement...
Thank you, this helps!
(and uhhh.... I'll shortly be back with more silly questions!..)

Mark
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:22 AM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,131 Posts
sorry Cathey I have been ill....

I am a beliver in redundancy and flying with data only give no redundancy... so it's all up to your level of risk that you want to accept.

as for paralleling the data modem I will have to take time to explain.. sorry I am very tired.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:22 AM
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
FY31AP default settings_3

OK, received the settings from Feiyu, here they are: (Also attached the picture as received from Feiyu)

PID Settings:

Turn: 50-4-50
Alt: 50-10-50
Thr: 50-2-50
Head: 60-5-20

Stab. Control:

Pitch: 90-40-90
Roll: 90-40-90

Control Para

Auto Take off: 25-3-80

rest is all empty for this setting

Flight Para:

Tgt spd: 64.8
Tgt Alt: 50
Circle: 80

Hope this benefits all...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:25 AM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,131 Posts
you can get gps signal through foam... just leave it short and extend if if you need to.... move your video TX away instead....

or extend it mine is inside my plane.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post
Question is, does it matter where the ring is located after the extension is in place?
Here it is roughly in the middle; should it be in the middle after modification? Or rather at same distance from (which?) end? Number of coils - matters?

Thanks...
Mark
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post

Thanks...
Mark
If you have any transmitter on board, place the GPS module as far away as possible. I have 5.8Ghz video link, and it was screwing up my GPS. I soldered a new, long cable on the GPS, placed the ferrite close to the connector to the FY31. The distance between VideoTX and GPS is now 45cm. No problems with interference anymore!!!!

My setup: Lanyu Hobby FPV Raptor, span 2m with stock servo's and motor, Foxtech 500mW video TX, Feiyu FY31AP and Hornet, Spektrum DX6 TX and RX, battery HK Turnigy nano-tech 6400mA/H. 20Km flight no problem.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:23 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
My setup: Lanyu Hobby FPV Raptor, span 2m with stock servo's and motor, Foxtech 500mW video TX, Feiyu FY31AP and Hornet, Spektrum DX6 TX and RX, battery HK Turnigy nano-tech 6400mA/H. 20Km flight no problem.
Interesting, it is quite similar to my setup (Raptor 2m I also have, but not going to use it for long haul flights. For that I have a Skywalker). I also bought a 200mW videolink from Foxtech, as far as I know it can also give you something like 10-15 km with a custom antenna; and obviously I have a 31AP and a Hornet. But I also have a Datalink 606, and, errrr... Worst of all is that I'm a complete newcomer to FPV.
Bouhgt all the stuff and now trying to make it work all at the same time instead of beginning with a simple cheap setup and gradually getting more and more sopnisticated.
So I'm going through a lot of pain now!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:26 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
989 Posts
New firmware - official release

I took advantage of my location and talked directly to FYTech guys today. The new firmware update that had been unofficially given away as a beta is now finalized and was going to be put on FYTech site today (I didn't check if it actually has been published).
In any case, either today or tomorrow - hurry up, the latest update is coming.

- Mark -
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:24 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
989 Posts
Quote:
sorry Cathey I have been ill....
Get better soon Steve and do me a favour please - MY NAME IS MARK; Cathay is not a name, it is an old-style bookish word for China.

Quote:
I am a beliver in redundancy and flying with data only give no redundancy... so it's all up to your level of risk that you want to accept.
Well, so am I, but the thing is - my regular radio setup can afford me at best 2 km, while data link can take me 10-15 km out with a few customisations; then? If you know tricks how to fly using both regular radio and data link for added redundancy - teach me.
If data signal does, there are 2 failsafe systems to step in to choose, so the plane will come back (hopefully) and that's more or less it...

Quote:
as for paralleling the data modem I will have to take time to explain.. sorry I am very tired.
Sure, take your time Besides, I have already made a Y-connector, plus FYTech is sending me one (for some reason my GCS set was lacking it), so this particular problem looks solved.

Get well!

- Mark -