HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
I take it Chris this is in the air and just not a static test on the ground ?

If its on the ground the thing is trying to climb to a certain altitude
Peter64 is offline Find More Posts by Peter64
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:59 AM
Joined Jul 2012
66 Posts
Thanks for your response Peter. It happens both on the ground and in the air. I had trouble retrieving it from up to 400 metres up, and only returned to normal flight once I switched back to ABM.
Chris in Oz is online now Find More Posts by Chris in Oz
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
I think you can set the alt for RTL in the CGS, not 100% sure though, maybe just check to see if for some reason its changed to something unreasonable like a klick or something stupid.

But this is only a guess I'm afraid, I only got this thing a couple of weeks ago and I'm trying to work out all the PID settings in the GCS, trying to stop the thing snaking all over the place when it flies to a waypoint
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Jul 2012
66 Posts
Thanks will look into it, seems to make sense though!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:40 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
723 Posts
Hi guys, im sure this has been asked before but il ask anyhow, i reflashed a new fy31ap to try get rid of blinking red light problem i have wish is still unresolved, now the altitude does now work, on the display it remailns at zero, i seem to be plagued with problems with this device so any advise on the altitude problem appreicated.
motofox is offline Find More Posts by motofox
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:41 AM
Joined Jul 2012
66 Posts
Reading into it further it seerms the FY 31AP should be pre programmed for a certain height. Has anyone had a similar problem where the elevator goes into UP position when turned on to RTL or ACM, but works fine on ABM. I have read the manual but not sure that GCS is the answer, but I am keen to find out what needs to be done to get it right. It was fine, just suddenly changed the other day after having worked fine on a number of occasions previously. Any help or suggestions welcome, cheers.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:51 AM
I didn't think it'd do that
Australia, TAS
Joined Nov 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Oz View Post
Reading into it further it seerms the FY 31AP should be pre programmed for a certain height. Has anyone had a similar problem where the elevator goes into UP position when turned on to RTL or ACM, but works fine on ABM. I have read the manual but not sure that GCS is the answer, but I am keen to find out what needs to be done to get it right. It was fine, just suddenly changed the other day after having worked fine on a number of occasions previously. Any help or suggestions welcome, cheers.
Yep, same problem here, works fine in ABM, but goes spastic in RTL & ACM.
Go back 2 or 3 pages on this forum and a poster thought it may be a lack of satellites.

How many satellites are you getting. I lock onto about 8, I think the other dude said his worked okay with 11 locked on.
omelette is offline Find More Posts by omelette
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Jul 2012
66 Posts
I usually get 10 or 11 satellites. As I said, have had really good results, just had the first time on the last weekend when it didn't behave. I can tell you when the clouds drop and the weather is quite wet and dirty, the reception gets all blocked out and blank and you hope your RTL is working, and when the telemetry comes back on and you find you're nearly around moon height, and still climbing, bugger me makes things a bit exciting. Just have to push full forward on the elevator stick and let the rest do the job till the bird is somewhere overhead, then back to ABM and down she comes, WHEW!!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:04 AM
I didn't think it'd do that
Australia, TAS
Joined Nov 2011
179 Posts
Yeah, it should work in all conditions, I have its superseded little sister the 21ap as well and it just works.

I've never plugged the 31ap into the GCS software. Shouldn't have to.
omelette is offline Find More Posts by omelette
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:40 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
723 Posts
Mine only goes full elevater up on the floor as it should, in the air its fine and stays level on rtl.. my osd altitude has stopped working tho..
motofox is offline Find More Posts by motofox
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:57 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,958 Posts
I usually fly with 7 sats and everything works perfect.

I wonder what the issues could be...

Are any of these issues common?

for those with issues can you post a good description of the issue with install pictures? maybe we can help you.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
Rtl

Chris

Flew mine yesterday, previously the RTL and ACM worked fine, When the ABM was engaged the plane would dive. I set the "level" flight mode (switch 4 on) on the ground with the plane in a slightly nose high attitude, thinking this would make the plane stop diving when the ACM was engaged. It seemed to work as ABM flew pretty good. However when I engaged RTL the thing started to turn and dive pretty rapidly. Only tried it twice as I was only a 100 meters high, I didn't let it go and see if it straightened up and would pull out of the dive.

I intend to do the "level" flight attitude config in the air today as they recommend this is the best way to perform it. Hopefully this might set it back the way it was.

The other thing I noticed was the artificial horizon was very slow to respond, after a hard banking turn the line would remain almost vertical for some time after the plane had level'd out.

These things seem to be so temperamental.

I was looking at the firmware on the device, mine says version 2.0 however I can only find version 1.2 on the site.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,958 Posts
Pictures? aircraft type? Off the top of my head with no info on your setup...

the plane will turn very agressively at first, if it's too agressive and loses altitude then do one of a few things

1) increase elevator gain dial on the unit
2) decrease aileron gains in the GCS (be carefull here and get ready to take control manually if things go bad)

you can set level on the ground and get 99% the performance as setting it in the air, it's less stressfull too.

make sure you have 5+ satellites when flying and also that you are not flying slowly downwind... if your plane flies slow and you are down wind... it's gonna drop... that's why I suggested increasing the elevator gains dial.

If you plane starts to porpoise (spelling? like a dolphin) then your elevator gains are too high.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
Steve

I have been playing with the gyro settings this morning and have notice the rudder gyro isn't doing anything, occasionaly it will start to jitter when I turn on ABM mode.

But the frankly playing with the gyros has not improved anything. The plane flew well for 3 or 4 flights with RTL and ACM working well. It would dive a little in ABM mode but I could have lived with that. At the moment It cant be trusted. The rudder issue would suggest there is definitely something wrong with the gyro as turning the gain settings does nothing.

The only setting I have changed in the GCS is the "side offset damp" I reduced that from 60 to 50 when in Nav mode it would fly in an S pattern. Although now when you engage nav it typically wants to plummet into the ground.

The other concern is the artificial horizon, as stated earlier it seems to be very slow to react remaining vertical after banking, I take it the information it uses is coming from the gyros and that would suggest they are well an truly out.

The plane is a skywalker 1900, up until this thing decided to go bad I would have said it flew very well. I think the Vibration level should be well within limits, I did mount the fy31ap on the foam anti vibration pads, but this didn't seem to make a difference so I have mounted it with velcro again.

I'm not certain whether I should re-flash the firmware as I have read this has fixed some issues for people however as stated mine says version 2.0 and I can only find version 1.2. Or just send the bloody thing back to the people who made it, after all its not even a couple of weeks old.

I will post a video soon.

Thanks

Peter
Last edited by Peter64; Sep 25, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Jul 2012
66 Posts
I am trying to upload the V2 files but my system keeps dropping out when uploading, will try again later