HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
1,075 Posts
FY-31AP stabilization problem

Hooked up my FY-31AP on several RC planes and now it's on a FPV raptor.
No Hornet OSD connected yet, only the GPS that comes with it.

The problem is that before I installed the GPS module the FY-31AP worked fine. I used my gear switch to enable or disable the stabilization.

Then yesterday I connected the GPS unit and attempted to get the return to home to function. I'm using the flaps switch to turn the RTH on and off as the DX6i tx unit I'm using doesn't have any 3 position switches.

Now when I turn the stabilization on using the gear switch ( but not enabling the RTH) the ailerons start moving slowly to their limits like its attempting to make a sharp turn. Originally I thought it was mistakenly engaging the return to home but when I bank the plane 45 degrees the ailerons level out and stay that way as if it thinks that 45 degrees bank is what level is supposed to feel like. I zeroed out the FY-31AP again using the jumper and it reset but then within a few minutes this would happen again.

When I use the flap switch to engage the RTH this seemed to work. But if I attempted to use the stabilization in addition to RTH the stabilization (which seems to be 45 degrees out of whack) would fight the RTH.

I have the brown wire from the FY-31AP connected to my gear switch channel and the blue wire from the FY-31AP connected to my flaps switch channel.

thanks,
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Hook up the hornet osd. It displays alot of information. When setup check the artificial horizon is what you expect and your switch changes to the correct function. The function selected is shown with three letters at the bottom middle of the screen.
Integratedneck is offline Find More Posts by Integratedneck
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,075 Posts
Thanks!
Next question:
Any idea how do I set up my switches on my DX6i (which has no 3 position switch) so I can simulate a 3 position switch so I have the following:

Gear switch turns stabilization on and off
Another switch will turn on the RTH.

thanks,
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:07 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,075 Posts
Any idea how do I set up my switches on my DX6i (which has no 3 position switch) so I can simulate a 3 position switch so I have the following:

thanks,
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:39 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
I am not sure how, I have only used the turnigy 9x. With the OSD setup you will at least be able to determine if you have programmed the switches. The fy-31ap manual states the ranges. Have a look on YouTube for your transmitter.
Integratedneck is offline Find More Posts by Integratedneck
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:04 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
506 Posts
Has anyone tried to change the modes on the Hornet OSD? I have tried a few times to get it to change, no luck...
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks View Post

thanks,
I am not sure this will work.
As far as I understand it, if you use a two position switch you will not be able to toggle between ABM and NAV mode. Either the stabilizer will come on, or you will go into NAV mode. That switch controls the other two modes, ACM, and RTH. If the fy-31 isn't already engaged into the NAV mode, you cannot enter ACM or RTH. I could be wrong.

If I were you I'd think about trading up the 6i for 8 or 9ch system...
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:43 PM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
808 Posts
i have to reset the gyros nearly every flight because it flashes constantly red, anyone else had this issue and how did u fix it ?
motofox is online now Find More Posts by motofox
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:35 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,122 Posts
hi guys, for some reason they want more testing on the new software...

likely because of the backlash that happens when things are not perfect... what many seem to forget is that this is hobby grade stuff.... it's fun.

I will ask again when they will release the 2D GCS.

the map making is painfull though... I will make a video and hopefully that will help everyone make maps until they can come up with an easier way.

happy flying.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:40 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,122 Posts
I| would not advise using a data modem to fly any plane... too much lag...

however you can easily set up your failsafe to RTL on RC signal loss. I do it and check it every flight before I fly too far away.

You can give control over to the modem in the GCS.... what you do is disable the RC in the GCS but now when you fly out of RC range and you have an issue with the autopilot you have no back up. This is not a good plan.

I have never tested it and don't plan to I am a believer that you should have video, rc and GCS all communicating at all times during the flight... if one dies then you need to come home.

as for video over data... sorry no chance in that.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
I really believe the ability to use the data modem as back-up / fail safe is really important. I am currently using a 2w booster to get the range I need from my radio.

I have considered making the change to a dragon link, Chain link, UZ UHF ect... except for thr fact that I already have a 433mHz UHF two way data radio that is capable of modulating Tx signals from the ground, to the plane... In fact, in the FY-31 documentation it is stated that the data modem can relay Tx signals, to the point of suggesting that a Rx could be omitted from the plane entirely....

What I would like to see is the data modem set up to take over if the radio signal is lost. Not fly the plane exclusively, just back up the Rx, and fill in the gaps. In case of signal loss, RTH auto engaged with some control over the plane (particularly throttle) I also can't see why the data modem can't transmit Video data as well, and inject it into the GCS directly.

I really think that if feiyu did this, they would stand way above any competition, and give feiyu customers the ability to use the system to its max, with a greater level of safety for LRS operations.

As far as a linux GCS, I'm not holding my breath for Feiyu to come thru on that, but it would be nice
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,075 Posts
New problem,
Performed micromode range test with the Rangelink and the FY-31AP connected, micromode reduced to 15 paces or less. Disconnected the FY-31AP and the range increased to 35-40 paces.
Any history of the FY-31AP or any gyro for that matter causing interference with 433 mhz?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:08 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,122 Posts
I am not sure what 433 system you are using but my TLRS was fine with FY products.

I sold all my 433 stuff only becuase it interferes with my survey equipment.

Steve
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,123 Posts
New to the thread, and haven't waded thru all the pages yet, so please indulge me this question, even if it's been ask before.

Will this system work upside down?
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:29 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,122 Posts
lol... yes it will return the craft to horizontal from upside down if that is what you are asking.

If you are wanting it to maintain upside down flight then no... you will need a eagle tree stabilizer or possibly the stand alone stabilizer from FY that does 3D mode.

However I would recommend the ET stablizer as the best 3D stabilizer I have seen.

Steve
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:38 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,123 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear, if it's mounted upside down, will it operate normally. I can mount a fy20 up side down and i works fine, I was just wondering if this would do the same.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0