Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:47 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
likely the cable... I'll replace it and try again... Now I have a new problem

The Hornet OSD shows the data from the current sensor, but no attitude, compass or GPS data

Everything is static, when I move the plane, no adjustment of my compass.. nothing. The unit also shows that I am in RTH, when I am not. I can still switch the modes with my Tx. Just doesn't show it on the OSD.

everything seems to be good with the 31, I can see and hear the mode switch from RC to ABM... and read the blue light... works perfect. Must be the OSD... bummer.

I'll have to go over all the wires.... also can't get my data modem to connect with the GCS... but that isn't anything new
fixed the problem, seems to have been the UART connection. OSD is functioning normal, but when the data modem is turned on, the servos start vibrating.... I had the data modem connected to the supply from the FY-31, then I connected it to its own BEC. This didn't seem to solve the problem, but reduced the effect significantly...

seems to me that ground noise is being absorbed into the circuit. I am changing the connections from the data modem on both sides... likely I will find that the updating problem and the jitter are due to the cables, at least that's what I am holding out for.

At least the OSD and everything else is working properly
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:53 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
good stuff simplyfly,

what modems are you guys using? I am using xbee pro's and have never had an issue... I wonder if it's the modem causing problems???

steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:16 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
good stuff simplyfly,

what modems are you guys using? I am using xbee pro's and have never had an issue... I wonder if it's the modem causing problems???

steve
I am using Feiyu data 602... if I had known about the xbee at the time.... most of my issues have been due to user error and incompetence, plain and simple.

The connectors on some of the equipment are so fragile. I have had to replace them, and a few harnesses on my Vtx / cam. I am pretty rough on my equipment, and my hands are less delicate than they could be....

No doubt, the 602's are causing issues... I have an intermittent "feedback" issue. A ground loop or some sort of RF injection. I am using shielded cable now, and am taking the advice listed above. No amount of RF noise reduction is harmful.

My GPS can take some time to "boot" up. Usually, 10-15 min the first time of the day. After that its fast. I leave the data modem off during this process.

The data modem in the plane has its own 5A BEC, as does the FY-31,both share a battery with the Rx. The hornet OSD connects to this battery as well, and powers the Vtx and the FPV cam.

Hopefully after this, the bugs will be worked out and i can start focusing on flying
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:20 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
well it all sounds good there! good job on separte power etc., too.

for those having issues where the plane is not following course well or banking back and forth try increasing the side offset dampening to like 70 or more.. it won't hurt anything flight wise but still be ready to take control if need be.... the max value here is 99 and I have flown with it as low as 15 and high as 99 I settled tonight around 70 and it holds a perfectly straight line now where before it would do a large S and almost seem off course.

Now the issues I feel I have is that there should be a "max bank angle" to keep the plane from turning on a dime and losing too much of its speed. I will suggest that next.

Steve
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:28 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
sneek peek at the new gcs
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:25 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Quote:
sneek peek at the new gcs
Looks good... Too bad its a Windows app. Can I use USB 3 speeds with it?
Where is the bottleneck, the serial /USB TTl circuit? The serial bus ? ...???

I hate to be a complainer... I just think that because the GCS relies on the USB serial port speed and stability, it would make sense to design this app to run in a linux environment, where something like this would presumably run smoother and faster.

I'd like to hear an experts opinion on this.

The way I see it, the data modem is well capable of providing a fail safe to the Rx. The remote adapter that connects the modem to the GCS computer apparently modulates the signal from the Tx/Rx on the ground, then relays this to the data modem on the plane.

Of course, I am not suggesting that this be used to fly the plane... however, it could be used by a comparator (diversity) controller to fill in the blanks when the Rx losses the plot... heck, why not even use the bandwidth to relay video information, and insert it into the GCS GUI

I'd also like to see more information from the GPS... # of satellites isn't enough info. If GPS signal fails, or its ability to perform is diminished, I like to see that relayed to my OSD display.

Of course, airspeed and auto cruise speed would be nice as well
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:17 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
I think the majority of users are on windows hence why they choose this platform. I will ask if they can make a linux version.

I have never experianced the bottle neck in data like others... or at least very rarely and nothing that a re-run of the software did not fix. Of course I do belive that the problem exists becuase I am not a guy that discounts others reports

However I do not use the remote adapter so there is a possiblity the bottle neck occurs here. I plug my xbee straight into the usb port. The only problem I ever get is if I do it in the wrong order then the com port appears "open" or in use when really it's not. Simply closing the program and starting over fixes this.

mmm lets see... airspeed is not possible with the 31AP becuase there is no hardware connection available (panda has the ability for the future)

I have requested that in future releases they add a voice warning so that if your battery voltage, or number of gps satellites gets too low it warns you. Hopefully this adresses some of your concerns there.

I think suggestions are great! but also we have to realise that they can not add everything we ask for.... oh and so everyone knows... I don't work for them.. I am just pretty familiar with their stuff.

I have made a quick intro video to the 2D gcs.

Steve
Last edited by saabguyspg; Sep 13, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:34 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
2d GCS overview (11 min 47 sec)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Quote:
I think the majority of users are on windows hence why they choose this platform. I will ask if they can make a linux version.

I have never experianced the bottle neck in data like others... or at least very rarely and nothing that a re-run of the software did not fix. Of course I do belive that the problem exists becuase I am not a guy that discounts others reports

However I do not use the remote adapter so there is a possiblity the bottle neck occurs here. I plug my xbee straight into the usb port. The only problem I ever get is if I do it in the wrong order then the com port appears "open" or in use when really it's not. Simply closing the program and starting over fixes this.

mmm lets see... airspeed is not possible with the 31AP becuase there is no hardware connection available (panda has the ability for the future)

I have requested that in future releases they add a voice warning so that if your battery voltage, or number of gps satellites gets too low it warns you. Hopefully this adresses some of your concerns there.

I think suggestions are great! but also we have to realise that they can not add everything we ask for.... oh and so everyone knows... I don't work for them.. I am just pretty familiar with their stuff.

I have made a quick intro video to the 2D gcs.

Steve
Can I use the 602 data modem w/o the remote adapter??

One can only ask... I am writing a list of things to Santa as well
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:25 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
I don't see why not... however I don't have a pic of one... let me take a look at it.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:38 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
Edit.... Need more reading
Last edited by saabguyspg; Sep 14, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:57 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
I really believe the ability to use the data modem as back-up / fail safe is really important. I am currently using a 2w booster to get the range I need from my radio.

I have considered making the change to a dragon link, Chain link, UZ UHF ect... except for thr fact that I already have a 433mHz UHF two way data radio that is capable of modulating Tx signals from the ground, to the plane... In fact, in the FY-31 documentation it is stated that the data modem can relay Tx signals, to the point of suggesting that a Rx could be omitted from the plane entirely....

What I would like to see is the data modem set up to take over if the radio signal is lost. Not fly the plane exclusively, just back up the Rx, and fill in the gaps. In case of signal loss, RTH auto engaged with some control over the plane (particularly throttle) I also can't see why the data modem can't transmit Video data as well, and inject it into the GCS directly.

I really think that if feiyu did this, they would stand way above any competition, and give feiyu customers the ability to use the system to its max, with a greater level of safety for LRS operations.

As far as a linux GCS, I'm not holding my breath for Feiyu to come thru on that, but it would be nice
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:15 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Data Modem

Max baud rate for the modems is 38400. To put this in perspective, it's slower than a dial up modem. Range is also an inverse function of bandwidth.
Integratedneck is offline Find More Posts by Integratedneck
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
854 Posts
This video is really great. Thank you Steve.

Quote:
czorzella is online now Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:30 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Continued success.

Took the plane out today with the gps sitting on top of the horizontal stabalizer (skywalker plane). I made an extension wire 75cm long, pins on one end, plugs on the other. The end with with plugs connecting to the fy-31ap I added a ferrite beed. Gps performance was the best have ever had. Locked in the first few seconds with 13 sattelites. Update speed was fast and the data was accurate.

Each time I engaged return to home it worked. I believe I have solved my problem.

I look forward to spending my time flying rather than debugging, using the new software and finally being able to use my data radio. Any word on when the new software might be released?
Integratedneck is offline Find More Posts by Integratedneck