SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
Yes both would be nice however I doubt it will happen... and to clarify the airspeed is being developed for the Panda.. not the 31AP...

as for re-calibration sorry I never check the lights... I just leave it still for over a minute then assume it's done

honestly the flashing lights never have seemed to be correct in the past... I usually use the GCS for everything.

Ps also been testing the 2D gcs and it's good so far.. however the mapmaking utility needs work...

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:50 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Yes both would be nice however I doubt it will happen... and to clarify the airspeed is being developed for the Panda.. not the 31AP...

as for re-calibration sorry I never check the lights... I just leave it still for over a minute then assume it's done

honestly the flashing lights never have seemed to be correct in the past... I usually use the GCS for everything.

Ps also been testing the 2D gcs and it's good so far.. however the mapmaking utility needs work...

Steve
Is the new 2D GCS s/w available some place. Haven't been able to find a location for download.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:31 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
nope sorry it's not available for release yet... still testing..

Steve
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
756 Posts
hi guys, just purchased a fyosd hornet and fy31ap. Powered up the hornet with just gps plugged in using a 3 cell lipo 3000ma and after about 10 minutes stood its very hot. Is this normal or might it be because i dont have the 31ap and other gear connected ?

thanks
martin
motofox is online now Find More Posts by motofox
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:48 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
nope sorry it's not available for release yet... still testing..

Steve
Thanks. But I'm sure it works better than the old one that is in "production"
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:58 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
I have had no real problems with the 3D GCS...

the problems with the 2D one is the map making is very tedious... if they don't release an easier program I will do a how to video on it..

the last map I made was waay off... and that is very bad when your home location is not correct... so i am not sure if it's something I did or something wrong with the GCS

I hope to completely test the GCS with 31AP and Panda tomorrow and if all goes well it will get a clean bill of health from me... after that they have other testers I am sure that they need to hear from then they will release.

I also asked for voice warning in the GCS for low voltage or losing GPS satellites etc.

They like the idea and think they can do it... but no promies

Steve
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:11 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
I have had no real problems with the 3D GCS...

the problems with the 2D one is the map making is very tedious... if they don't release an easier program I will do a how to video on it..

the last map I made was waay off... and that is very bad when your home location is not correct... so i am not sure if it's something I did or something wrong with the GCS

I hope to completely test the GCS with 31AP and Panda tomorrow and if all goes well it will get a clean bill of health from me... after that they have other testers I am sure that they need to hear from then they will release.

I also asked for voice warning in the GCS for low voltage or losing GPS satellites etc.

They like the idea and think they can do it... but no promies

Steve
May be 'm a little confused with the 2 different versions. It sounds like the 2D is 2 way communication via the laptop & the plane via a radio modem. 3D is for just programming the way points in the FY-31AP. if that is the case then the 3D sucks badly as I have to reboot the laptop within 5 min of using the software. When I tried to load the 2D it wouldn't even load on Win 7 or XP.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
what they call the 3D one is the one eveyone can download off the website.

If you install that one on windows 7 make sure you BOTH install and RUN the application as an adminiatrator. This one uses quite a bit of compuer power and hence causes some machines to crash (I beilve)

another source of crashing on the 3D GCS is the order things are plugged in. Try this with the 3D gcs,
1) start the GCS
2) let it load completely!
3) insert usb cable with data modem connected
4) wait until the compter has recognised the com port... then wait a few more seconds as it assigns the port after the two tones are heard
5) connect to the com port in the GCS
6) power up your airplane and thusly the airplanes data modem
7) you should now have comms between the two
8) if you experiance lagging or stalling of the gcs change the downlink rate to 3hz this will help... even 1hz is fine...

What they are calling the 2D GCS is one that runs without google earth and thus you must create a map of your intended area to fly. The reason it's called 2D is because you cant tilt the map like you can with google earth.

Far as I know the 2D gcs I have is not downloadable anywhere and is a completely new offereing. I hope it works for everyone!!

It's a more simple application but still has all the functions of the 3D one, however without google earth running it will perform faster with less problems and allow you to fly without an internet connection.

Both GCS's have two way communication to the airplane. Both applications must be run as an administrator in windows 7 or they will not work.

I hope this helps explain the differences.
Last edited by saabguyspg; Aug 28, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:20 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Loop tuning

I have some questions regarding some of the settings in the parameters section ins the 3D version of the software. The wording in the manual is not clear.

Under Turn control it has Attidude Control - What does this number correspond to? is it degrees? an integer? what is its range? What if I make this number smaller?
Integratedneck is offline Find More Posts by Integratedneck
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:28 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
yes the description are very poor, I wan to work with them to fix this... hopefully soon.

essentially from what I have figued out it is a max of 99, this is not an angle, you can mess around will these settings in flight and in the instructions there are some diagrams that will help you to get started.

however the descriptions are way off and don't even match the pictures... I hope to get to the bottom of this ASAP

now all that being said you can make it so that the plane spirals to the ground if you mess with these settings, just make sure you are ready to take manual rc control back at any time.

Steve
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:21 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Today I spent a few more hours testing the FY-31ap. I changed the attitude roll angle from 50 to 35. I also changed the attitude integral from 4 to 8. I also reduced the aileron through from the furthest hole from the servo to the third last hole to reduce the overall movement. Unfortunately, this seems to make the auto pilot worse. It would do the sharp hard circles just like the Bixler. What amazes me is when it gets going it can some time break out of the circling and then continue in the opposite direction from home. I watch this all happening on my screen and see the distance from home increase. It knows where home is. I always check. It has 11 satellites. All values make sense on the hornet OSD. The plane is a stock 1900 wing skywalker, running a 5000mah 4S battery. I am at a loss. The manual is terrible. The software is shocking. I have spend over 100 hours trying to get it reliable and still not working as it should.

Having said that, saabguyspg, can you please shed some light on what the values do on pages 16 and 17 of http://shop.fyetech.com/dl/fy31apgcs.pdf (CGS manual). Or at least suggest some values to try from your experience. I am trying to get the plane to not enter the hard circling and take a more direct route home when it does work. Seems that if there is any wind the chances of returning to home reduce significantly. Rather it overshoots the turns and continues to circle getting blown down wind and ending up further away from home. Fortunately, I have a very stable video and control link to cancel and bring it back. I am not confident to place my FY tech 2W UHF data radio modem on the plane yet as I feel i can not rely on the system at all.
Integratedneck is offline Find More Posts by Integratedneck
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Jul 2011
22 Posts
I have exaclty this issue like integratedneck. In very low wind or no wind RTH AND ACM woks perfect. But in strong wind my axn floater flys away because aileron reaction to course is to slow. Today i increased attidude control and Hdg damping to 90. This realy helped to fly RTH and ACM in low wind, but little bit not enought to fly in strong wind. Next week i will try to increase attidude to 9. If this wont help then Hdg damping i will decrease to 30.
Sitas is offline Find More Posts by Sitas
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:44 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
hi guys, yes I concur that that when flying down wind on the skywalker I don't have a straight line.. however upwind it holds very well..

I also agree that playing with course dampening will make a big difference.

I have been trying to get ahold of them and get a good description of how all the values work but no response yet...

I have been playing with all the values to see what they really do but don't have any definate answers just yet sorry guys.

what it all seems to come down to is the gains need to go up when flying down wind.... of course... but it does not have an airspeed sensor so it can't adjust the gains accordingly.

That being said it should not do a spiral of death on you either.

Even the stock gains and values worked well on all my builds though so I am not quite sure what is happening to yours....

Personally I have huge throws on my ailerons and rudder, as much as I can.

From what your say the stabilization is working well... how about it you crank up the dials on the 31AP unit so that the stabilization is much stronger.... then put all values in the GCS back to default...

I wish I could help more... and the more info I get from them I will post it all here...

The 2D gcs is working well and fully tested now... so now they have to decide to release it.

Steve
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Jul 2011
22 Posts
My plane in strong wind and ACM mode does not flys in perfect circle. its like oval. Stronger wind = longer oval with smaller turn radius at the oval ends. Problem only ACM and RTL mode. Then the plane flys in tail wind and turns at the oval end to wind in front, the plane turns very fast(course changes). My plane turns to much and plane goes to second circle and so on. Its flys like spiral but away and away from acm point. Should I increase or decrease pid integer and damping settings?help me.
Sitas is offline Find More Posts by Sitas
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:13 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
sitas, in strong wind you will always have an oval... sorry to tell you that...

this systems can not tell your airspeed and therfore will not adjust the "gains" accordingly...

I want to help more with the PID settings but I am trying to get on skype with their techician to see what these numbers actually do.... also I am playing with them lots on my own and have not got a definiative fix for some of these issues.

Steve