SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:21 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
yes that is strange... good news is you can load old firmare back on if you want to anytime.

Steve
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
I think the compass is in the AP module not the GPS? Because the compass indicator turns even when gps is unplugged
GTiDonavan is offline Find More Posts by GTiDonavan
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:22 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
there is no compass... it relies on a combination of forward motion calculated through the gps and the gyros inside the plane to calculate heading...

if you are barley moving you will have strange compass readings.

steve
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Dec 2006
93 Posts
Integratedneck:
I had success in setting up my Wing and my Skywalker to use RTH but since then have struggled to acheive the same success with a scratch built Windex : this one
[URL=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums /attachmentNew.php?attachmentid=4493932[/URL]
Changing the linkages on this model has not given the same success I saw on my scrathbuilt Wing. A plus for buying ARF is you are able to have some confidence that the flight characteristics of a model are the same using an FY31AP. With scratchbuilds this isn't the case.

For the Windex, yesterday I resorted to bypassing the FY31 for rudder, plugging this directly into the RX (as I do with throttle).
If you have gone as far as you can with linkages and gain adjustment and both make no difference I can only suggest trying this.

My tests with the Windex showed improvement (RTH from 400m), but I need to go further out to be sure of the full effect.
Sorry to say none of this helps with your issue of a sudden ACM whilst returning under RTH. That does seem to be a case of the FY31 not getting sufficient GPS data.

It would be nice if Feiyu Tech would assist this debate, if only to explain the interaction of all the variables i.e. Control surface throw/Gain/GPS data rate. If they have already done so I would appreciate the link.
PopHi is offline Find More Posts by PopHi
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:44 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
More testing

More testing today and again the results are terrible. Funny you said about the rudder I turned its gain to zero so it did not move. Still it would enter in tight loops. The gps gets 7-11 sattelites usually 9 so i don't think that is the problem.

When coming home that time from far away it entered its tight circle mode at about 70% the way back. The OSD still show its in RTL mode. I am beginning to think that spending any more time with it on my bixler is a waste. Perhaps this plane is not suited to the system. It maybe that I have version 2 firmware with bugs. Anyway, I have decided I will try it in my skywalker that has been sitting around to see. I would have given up by but it could be such a valuable tool that I have had only had work a tiny percentage of the time.

I have waited and watched to see if the plane would ever come home. Clearly home position is correct and I watched it more times fly away and see the distance from launch increase. Sometimes when entering the circles i use the sticks to pull it out and point it to home. Sometimes this works othertimes it doesn't and returns to circling. All this happens while RTL is displayed on screen.

One other thing is my bixler has quite a few modifications. It has flaps, everything is hinged which effectively give the control surfaces a bit more surface area as they pivot further out. I also extended the rudder and elevator.
Integratedneck is offline Find More Posts by Integratedneck
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:37 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
how does it fly in stabilized mode?

can you bang the sticks around and it gets pretty much back to level?

if that all works well then we should start tuning your PID settings, I have messed around with the FY PID quite a bit.

If you are flying quite a custom airframe this may help.

first try choosing the option to navigate just with the the ailerons and no rudder.

make this selection ON THE GROUND!!! because you will have to cheak all your control surfaces are moving correctly.

then get up for some flights, and post the log file here so I can take a peek...

maybe we can get something worked out.

Steve
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:35 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Already transferred everything to my skywalker. Certainly the amount the control surfaces move on this is a lot less than on the bixler. I will give this a few flight tests and report back. Tested it in the garage last night. Six satellites in a few seconds and, all surfaces move correctly. Set all pots to about 50% in the correct gain direction as a test.

With the bixler flying around with the auto balance mode was very good. No problems ever in auto balance mode. Never had any overcompensation or unexpected results.

I look forward to this working correctly. I had used my bixler on some good long flights around 3km. When not using return to launch or auto circle mode everything works well. I also had the problem where auto circle mode would get into tight circles and be unable to recover from sharp circling. It maintains hight but get blown down wind of the initial point. I have had it work before when the air was perfectly still, so I know it can work.

This skywalker has no modifications so fingers crossed.

Any news on the V2.00 firmware? I home it's not a beta etc. My Hornet OSD which came in the bundle was version 1.4.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:31 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Good news

Tested the skywalker with the 1.9m wing and the fy-31ap setup with hornet OSD. The difference was incredible, every time but once retun to home worked. Just worked. The one time it didnt I could see it was quite tail heavy and getting caught in circles. Similar to when try to fly a plane with an off centre of gravity. Corrected with better battery placement and servo trims.

When returning home it doesn't always take the shortest route, overshooting it's turns sometimes but able to correct its self. Sort of snakes it's way home. Any suggestions? I have not changed the throws on the servos from their maximum positions. The gains are about 50%. Everything seems to be working alot better in the skywalker. 12 satellites very quickly, crushing current of about 2A.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:36 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
yes see the manual for adjusting PID's to correct for overshooting the line etc.

it will take some tuning but you can do it all in flight via GCS and get a very accurate flight path

remember however that if the PID settings are wrong it will do some very strange things that are similar to the bixler that is the nature of adjusting PID's

Always have manual control ready and start tuning according to the manual.. it works.

Steve
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:36 AM
Fatalities caused by FPV: Zero
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Jun 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
yes that is strange... good news is you can load old firmare back on if you want to anytime.

Steve
I went ahead and recalibrated the gyros on the FY-31AP using the jumper, and that seems to have fixed the problem. I was worried there for a second!

So, if anyone upgrades firmware to 1.2, my suggestion is to recalibrate the module before flying.

The manual says it is not recommended to recalibrate if you don't have to, but in this case it seemed warranted.
glassdogangle is offline Find More Posts by glassdogangle
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:39 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
I don't think there is an issue with doing it here and there... maybe just not "all the time"

I have read people who do it at the beginning of each day's flights with no adverse effects.

I can't see why it would cause an issue but best to only do it when something is wrong.

steve
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Jun 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
there is no compass... it relies on a combination of forward motion calculated through the gps and the gyros inside the plane to calculate heading...

if you are barley moving you will have strange compass readings.

steve
Yes, that is definitely true. One time I was at about 13,000ft in some kind of jetstream, and as I flew south into the wind my speed was showing 5-7 kmh, and the compass kept jumping around from south to east to west...

Kinda wierd, but yeah, it seems there is not a compass inside any of the units, it is done by calculations, much like the airspeed is not true airspeed, but calculated based on GPS movements.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:42 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
airspeed is not airspeed you are correct, it is ground speed, hence you can stall so make sure your manage your throttle accordingly.

if you do stall take full manual control (not stabilized) to gain your flight lift etc back... stabilized mode may inhibit your stall recovery.

Steve
PS a little bird told me FY is working on an airspeed sensor for the panda (sorry I don't think it's goint o be available for 31AP)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
I don't think there is an issue with doing it here and there... maybe just not "all the time"

I have read people who do it at the beginning of each day's flights with no adverse effects.

I can't see why it would cause an issue but best to only do it when something is wrong.

steve
Quick question: I have recalibrated twice now. Once when I first got the unit 6 months ago, and then again just a few days ago after installing firmware 1.2

I noticed the first time I recalibrated, the blue light stayed on for 10-20 seconds, and then it shut off, indicating recalibration was complete.

This last time I recalibrated, after installing v1.2, the blue light stays on continuously, even after a minute or so. I actually did the recalibration a second time after this, because I was certain that blue light was supposed to go off after 20 seconds or so.

When you guys recalibrate with v1.2 firmware, does the blue light go off after 20 sec or so?

Thanks for the help! I just am curious if my FY-31AP has some yet undiagnosed issue. It seems to operate perfectly fine, however.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
PS a little bird told me FY is working on an airspeed sensor for the panda (sorry I don't think it's goint o be available for 31AP)
Nice! However, I must say I find the groundspeed reading extremely helpful when I am determining how far I can safely head out when there are strong winds.

When I fly downwind a kilometer or so, then turn around home, and my ground speed shows 10-12 kmh or so, I know not to head out much further in that direction.

It would be excellent if they could have both readings up at the same time, both airspeed and groundspeed! Maybe have airspeed front and center, and groundspeed somewhere down at the bottom near the voltage indicators. That would be just perfect!