Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:37 AM
I didn't think it'd do that
Australia, TAS
Joined Nov 2011
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasmanR View Post
Hi all

When using the FY-31AP in an X8 flying wing - I understand that you have to activate elevon mixing on the FY 31AP unit. SImple enough. Do I also active elevon mixing on my RC TX ? - to me this seems the correct thing to do as when the FY 31AP is in deactivated mode surely all it does is pass the control signals from the RC RX to the servos and not act as a mixer ?

Chris
No matey leave your transmitter in normal airplane mode, flick up dip switch 3(you already knew that).

When you are in RC mode the 31ap still mixes the elevons for you.

Left servo goes to "ele out", right goes to "ail out"
omelette is offline Find More Posts by omelette
Last edited by omelette; Aug 20, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:41 AM
I didn't think it'd do that
Australia, TAS
Joined Nov 2011
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati749r View Post
As someone said in a previous post you might find it better to have the pushrod on the servo at the closest hole to the output shaft and the pushrod on the control surface at the furthest point. I had the same problem with excessive control movement in RTH and ACM modes. The FY needs to be set up mechanically so the control inputs from the FY to the RX with give you the correct amount of deflection at the control surface. Then you can fine tune the gains on the FY to give the required feel that you prefer in ABM and good authority when RTH or ACM is enabled.

With the X8 before I set up the FY mechanically I was getting extreme angles of bank. Scary. Now it performs well.
Thanks Ducati, yeah moved all the horn and servo positions first, funny thing was one random elevon would move to full deflection and the other wouldn't move at all. Reflash of firmware made a big improvement and fine tuning the dials got it sorted. Just need a nice day to maiden now.
omelette is offline Find More Posts by omelette
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:37 AM
Joined Feb 2010
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omelette View Post
Thanks Ducati, yeah moved all the horn and servo positions first, funny thing was one random elevon would move to full deflection and the other wouldn't move at all. Reflash of firmware made a big improvement and fine tuning the dials got it sorted. Just need a nice day to maiden now.
Great, good luck hope it goes well for you. Not looking good for us in the west weather wise for the next week. We will hold the bad weather over here for the next few days till you get you maiden out of the way. LOL
ducati749r is offline Find More Posts by ducati749r
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:02 AM
Addicted to Foamies
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omelette View Post
No matey leave your transmitter in normal airplane mode, flick up dip switch 3(you already knew that).

When you are in RC mode the 31ap still mixes the elevons for you.

Left servo goes to "ele out", right goes to "ail out"
Will do.

Thanks.

Chris
GasmanR is offline Find More Posts by GasmanR
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Hello everybody,

Anyone is using or knows if this https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_Radi...try-3dr915.htm will work with the FY-31AP?

All the best,

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:46 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotete View Post
Hello everybody,

Anyone is using or knows if this https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_Radi...try-3dr915.htm will work with the FY-31AP?

All the best,

Geotete
6 pin TTL telemetry being connected to 4 pin TTL Fy 31.?
What do you do with the RTS?
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:30 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,091 Posts
you only need TX RX ground and positive...

I don't use RTS with my xbee pros
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:47 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
I just looked at the telemetry cable that comes with the kit and it goes from
6 pin to 4 pin.
Besides , if it works on the Ardupilot Mega auto pilot then chances are pretty good that it will work with the FY 31.
Looks like a nice alternative to instead of the Xbee stuff.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:10 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I'm actually in the process of designing my own radio to be compatible with the FY31AP, I will post more details eventually.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:16 PM
Fatalities caused by FPV: Zero
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Jun 2011
518 Posts
Hey guys, I have a quick easy question:

I have been flying my FY-31AP for about 6 months now in my Skywalker. Just today I got around to upgrading the firmware to version 1.2 (I had to do the install twice trick, followed by power up and then down and then re-connect to verify version 1.2).

My question is:
Do I have to do anything else now? Like resetting the gyros (as per manual)? I could have sworn I read somewhere that you have to recalibrate something after upgrading the firmaware to 1.2

Thanks!
glassdogangle is offline Find More Posts by glassdogangle
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:42 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,091 Posts
Just make sure all your transmitter settings are functioning properly via the gcs... then if you are concerned it won't hurt to re-calibrate the gyro... but I never did..

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:14 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Fy-31ap

I am almost about to discard the fy-31ap. I have tried many thing to get it reliable but sometimes it works, 80% of the time I'd say it doesn't. I am using it on a bixler. I have tried reducing the mechanical links to the ailerons to the closest hole in the servo arm and still return to home is very intermitenant. Entering very tight circle while maintaining the same height. Sometimse it works, most often it doesn't. When it did work I let t return to home. However, a few hundred meters out from the 2900km journey it decided to start doing circles. And required me to intervene.

Is there anything else I can try before I completely give up on this? With a success rate of about 20 % it's hardly reliable. I am. Very familiar with control system but this seems illogical.
Integratedneck is online now Find More Posts by Integratedneck
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integratedneck View Post
I am almost about to discard the fy-31ap. I have tried many thing to get it reliable but sometimes it works, 80% of the time I'd say it doesn't. I am using it on a bixler. I have tried reducing the mechanical links to the ailerons to the closest hole in the servo arm and still return to home is very intermitenant. Entering very tight circle while maintaining the same height. Sometimse it works, most often it doesn't. When it did work I let t return to home. However, a few hundred meters out from the 2900km journey it decided to start doing circles. And required me to intervene.

Is there anything else I can try before I completely give up on this? With a success rate of about 20 % it's hardly reliable. I am. Very familiar with control system but this seems illogical.
Seems strange, never had an issue luckily myself. All I can think off, there is a problem with the GPS unit picking up the sat. I never change the mechanical linkages, they are set up as per normal and I'm using it on a similar plan AXN in all modes.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:03 PM
Fatalities caused by FPV: Zero
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Jun 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Just make sure all your transmitter settings are functioning properly via the gcs... then if you are concerned it won't hurt to re-calibrate the gyro... but I never did..

Steve
Well, I did a test flight this morning after upgrading my firmware to 1.2. BIG PROBLEMS!

Everything seemed okay. I took off, gained some altitude, did a manual RTL test from a couple hundred meters out and it came back just fine and went into ACM.

So I flew west. Got about 1.7km out and my video started getting a little snowy for whatever reason. Turned around and headed back home into the sun (it's 7:30am, so the sun is barely up over the horizon). My camera was pointed right at the sun, so I started using the compass and home indicators to navigate.

Something was terribly wrong. My compass would jump 90 degrees along with my home point indicators. I would be flying due east and then my compass would jump to show north (and the home degree indicators would follow suit, showing my home point off to my port when I knew it was starboard).

I felt like I was in the burmuda triangle! All I kept thinking was, "Wow! If I lose my RC link now, my plane will RTL somewhere out in the sticks!"

I am going to recalibrate the gyros, then do another test flight later. I hope that upgrading to 1.2 didn't mess things up (that is part of the reason why I procrastinated so long in the first place... If it ain't broke, don't fix it!).

We will see...
glassdogangle is offline Find More Posts by glassdogangle
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdogangle View Post
Well, I did a test flight this morning after upgrading my firmware to 1.2. BIG PROBLEMS!

Everything seemed okay. I took off, gained some altitude, did a manual RTL test from a couple hundred meters out and it came back just fine and went into ACM.

So I flew west. Got about 1.7km out and my video started getting a little snowy for whatever reason. Turned around and headed back home into the sun (it's 7:30am, so the sun is barely up over the horizon). My camera was pointed right at the sun, so I started using the compass and home indicators to navigate.

Something was terribly wrong. My compass would jump 90 degrees along with my home point indicators. I would be flying due east and then my compass would jump to show north (and the home degree indicators would follow suit, showing my home point off to my port when I knew it was starboard).

I felt like I was in the burmuda triangle! All I kept thinking was, "Wow! If I lose my RC link now, my plane will RTL somewhere out in the sticks!"

I am going to recalibrate the gyros, then do another test flight later. I hope that upgrading to 1.2 didn't mess things up (that is part of the reason why I procrastinated so long in the first place... If it ain't broke, don't fix it!).

We will see...
Sounds like a GPS issue. It uses the GPS for all the things that seemed to be going wrong. i.e. home direction indicator, compass & probably your airspeed indicator went as well.?.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk