HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Nov 2007
8 Posts
My fy31ap RTL was not working, same thing hard turn usually to the left.
I went back to my old setup which was a separate 3A 5v ubec plugged into my reciever and then obviously powering my fy31ap. I did notice that when it did hard circles and i looked at the osd, the deg to home with the arrow pointing left or right next to the heading box was lagging. If say it was doing left hand circles in RTL mode, the deg home sign would always point left <-- and the numbers would lag so much that it would never give a right --> heading. i just presumed that the servos were draining the fy31ap/esc of power in a turn and causing it to slow down or lag behind.
That might make sence, that reducing the machanical movement would reduce the load on the esc and therefore the fy31ap.
If this is the case ( i didnt try reducing movment machanically first) i would prefer this method of fixing the problem after all what happens if it needs to use alot of other control like rudder elevator aswell in RTL or the other modes for that matter? would this result in a lagging/crashing fy31ap?
BTW i have a 2nd 800mah 3s powering my osd/camera and vtx

hope this help someone, BTW has anyone uploaded the v2 and v1.5 firmware.
can it be downloaded anywhere?
regards jeff
j5ffx is offline Find More Posts by j5ffx
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Hello all

I am a complete newbie to this, and i am hoping that you guys might be able to help. I have just received my nice shiny new FY-31AP, Hornet-OSD, FY-606's and remote adapter.

After spending hours of going through the badly written instruction manuals, i discovered that they are ok if you are installing just one of the above pieces of kit, but are completely useless when trying to install them to work in conjunction with each other.

I have finally managed to get things connected so that i can tilt the FY-31AP, and it sends signal to a servo, and also moves the artificial horizon on the GCS (on my laptop).

I cannot however work out how to display a picture from the camera connected to the hornet-OSD. Is it possible to display a picture on my laptop screen or do i need another screen? I am hoping that i can do it all from just my laptop. I am pretty sure that i have the hornet OSD set up correctly, but do not know where or what to plug the "video out" cable too.

Any help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.
ttimmy2005 is offline Find More Posts by ttimmy2005
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:00 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimmy2005 View Post
Hello all

I am a complete newbie to this, and i am hoping that you guys might be able to help. I have just received my nice shiny new FY-31AP, Hornet-OSD, FY-606's and remote adapter.

After spending hours of going through the badly written instruction manuals, i discovered that they are ok if you are installing just one of the above pieces of kit, but are completely useless when trying to install them to work in conjunction with each other.

I have finally managed to get things connected so that i can tilt the FY-31AP, and it sends signal to a servo, and also moves the artificial horizon on the GCS (on my laptop).

I cannot however work out how to display a picture from the camera connected to the hornet-OSD. Is it possible to display a picture on my laptop screen or do i need another screen? I am hoping that i can do it all from just my laptop. I am pretty sure that i have the hornet OSD set up correctly, but do not know where or what to plug the "video out" cable too.

Any help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.
You need a video transmitter and receiver like http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=913 and http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1020, and of course some better antennas because stock rubber duck antennas don't do all that well (I recommend something like a bluebeam set).

Also the receiver outputs video via an RCA composite (yellow connector), so your viewing device either needs to be a display that takes RCA input (and does not blue screen!), or if you wish to use your laptop some sort of RCA video input device. I do not recommend laptops for FPV viewing however because there is usually a delay in the encoding, plus laptops don't tend to prove all that relaible in the field.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
You need a video transmitter and receiver like http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=913 and http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1020, and of course some better antennas because stock rubber duck antennas don't do all that well (I recommend something like a bluebeam set).

Also the receiver outputs video via an RCA composite (yellow connector), so your viewing device either needs to be a display that takes RCA input (and does not blue screen!), or if you wish to use your laptop some sort of RCA video input device. I do not recommend laptops for FPV viewing however because there is usually a delay in the encoding, plus laptops don't tend to prove all that relaible in the field.
Thank you for your help. Makes complete sense now. Looks like I will be ordering the video transmitter and receiver now. Lets hope i can get it all sorted soon and finally get in the air!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:48 AM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Ok, so my next question is a complete shot in the dark, and may sound a little strange.

I am not lucky enough to own a 9 channel receiver/transmitter. I only have a 6 channel. I see from reading the instruction manual that the FY-31AP changes mode by way of two 3-way switches. Is it possible to manually set a mode for it to run, kind of like a default mode of my choice. I was thinking along the lines of maybe shorting certain jumpers etc. If it is possible, could some kind person talk me through it? I'm looking to set it to fly to various waypoints that i set, but can take over control with the joystick plugged into my laptop, and if possible, also able to use the transmitter.

I know that the best solution would be to go out and buy a 9 channel tx/rx. This project i have embarked upon is with my Dad, who is heavily disabled, and we thought that the auto pilot and fpv would be a great way for him to get back into this amazing hobby. As you can imagine, money is extremely tight, hence why we cannot afford the required 9 channel equipment.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me, and i am sooooo hoping that there is a way of manually setting a desired mode.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:51 AM
I didn't think it'd do that
Australia, TAS
Joined Nov 2011
176 Posts
Hi all,

Just bench testing a 31ap in an elevon flying wing configuration (dip switch 3 up). Left, right, up, down all working as they should, ABM is working fine as well.

When I turn on RTL or ACM one servo moves full deflection. Not good, destined for a big crash.

I've had the full afternoon googling but only thing I found was a few pages back about moving the push rods closer to reduce throws and I'm not sure if these guys had the same problem as me. Still doesn't fix the servo movement problem also.

I haven't plugged it into a computer or upgraded any firmware.

I've done a reset and all the lights are doing what they are suppose to.

Anyone got a fix for it? or a link to similar problems? It's driving me nuts.

Ome

Edit......

Reflashing the firmware made a big difference, and I dialed in the pots again, it looks like she is good to go. Now as one elevon moves up the other moves down as it should. Still looks aggressive in movement and for a second or two when hitting RTL the unit looks like it still deciding which way to move the servos.
omelette is offline Find More Posts by omelette
Last edited by omelette; Aug 19, 2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:00 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Ok, so my next question is a complete shot in the dark, and may sound a little strange.

I am not lucky enough to own a 9 channel receiver/transmitter. I only have a 6 channel. I see from reading the instruction manual that the FY-31AP changes mode by way of two 3-way switches. Is it possible to manually set a mode for it to run, kind of like a default mode of my choice. I was thinking along the lines of maybe shorting certain jumpers etc. If it is possible, could some kind person talk me through it? I'm looking to set it to fly to various waypoints that i set, but can take over control with the joystick plugged into my laptop, and if possible, also able to use the transmitter.

I know that the best solution would be to go out and buy a 9 channel tx/rx. This project i have embarked upon is with my Dad, who is heavily disabled, and we thought that the auto pilot and fpv would be a great way for him to get back into this amazing hobby. As you can imagine, money is extremely tight, hence why we cannot afford the required 9 channel equipment.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me, and i am sooooo hoping that there is a way of manually setting a desired mode.
The system can work on a 6 channel system. 4 normal channels for the plane and 2 channels for the FY-31 to be fully functional. Or you can use just 1 channel for the FY-31, which will give you stabilizer mode on//Off or manual//Navigation mode (3 way switch or as rotary dial)

Using 1 channel you will miss the Return to Launch function and circle mode, which use the second channel.

Let me know if you need more information.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
So there is hope for me yet then! I don't have a 3 way switch on my transmitter, but i do have a 2 way switch that is unused. Am i right in thinking then that i will be able to switch between manual/navigation mode? Is so, whilst in nav mode, will that allow me to set waypoints for the model to fly too by itself? Thank you so much for taking the time to help a newbie.

Regards
Tim
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
So there is hope for me yet then! I don't have a 3 way switch on my transmitter, but i do have a 2 way switch that is unused. Am i right in thinking then that i will be able to switch between manual/navigation mode? Is so, whilst in nav mode, will that allow me to set waypoints for the model to fly too by itself? Thank you so much for taking the time to help a newbie.

Regards
Tim
I tried using a 2 way switch before but it didn't work correctly. From memory it went low straight to high and it needs a off in between (not sure the correct terminology)

Low been stabilizer on, high been Navigation mode but because there was no Middle (off) it didn't work well. So in this case you can probably use Stabilization mode only, which makes flying much easier. But to utilize the Nav mode you probably going to need a radio with a 3 way switch and or rotary dial.

I had the same problem as you when I started so I went with this radio from HobbyKing and replaced 2 of the rotary dials with 3 way switches from Radio Shack to utilize the full function of the FY-31AP.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19673

By the way this is also a 9 channel Tx and if you upgrade the firmware to er9X you can have 12 Channels.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I tried using a 2 way switch before but it didn't work correctly. From memory it went low straight to high and it needs a off in between (not sure the correct terminology)

Low been stabilizer on, high been Navigation mode but because there was no Middle (off) it didn't work well. So in this case you can probably use Stabilization mode only, which makes flying much easier. But to utilize the Nav mode you probably going to need a radio with a 3 way switch and or rotary dial.

I had the same problem as you when I started so I went with this radio from HobbyKing and replaced 2 of the rotary dials with 3 way switches from Radio Shack to utilize the full function of the FY-31AP.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19673

By the way this is also a 9 channel Tx and if you upgrade the firmware to er9X you can have 12 Channels.
WOW, what a price! I think i can just about manage to get one of those, and I love the idea of replacing the rotary dials with 3 way switches. Well it looks like there really is hope for my Dad and I getting our plane in the air pretty soon. I hope that the next time i post here, will will be with a success story, and maybe a video or 2 Thank you so much for taking the time to help out a newbie
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:08 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
WOW, what a price! I think i can just about manage to get one of those, and I love the idea of replacing the rotary dials with 3 way switches. Well it looks like there really is hope for my Dad and I getting our plane in the air pretty soon. I hope that the next time i post here, will will be with a success story, and maybe a video or 2 Thank you so much for taking the time to help out a newbie
No problem. Don't forget to factor in shipping costs!!. Since you will be paying shipping you might as well get other things you need to make up the shipping weight.

As for installing 3 way switches, its fairly easy. I'm just about to do 2 more radios, I will try and take a few photos. You will need 2 * 5k or 4.8k resistors for each switch to emulate the 5K rotary / pot. at its extremes.

FPV generally is not a cheap form of flying...as there is always something to make it better. Goggles, Ant. tracking, long range video equipment, filters, UHF long range radios...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
My FY-31ap works great in Stabilized mode, RTH. However, when I put it in NAV mode, it seems to want to nose dive. I have the altitude set to 100m. Anyone have any ideas to share?

Thanks-
daronj is offline Find More Posts by daronj
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:07 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
A 2 way switch would work if you can program it properly, but will only give you 2 selections out of the 3, I.E. if you want RTH and Normal but no circling you would program your 2 way to be about 0% on low, and 50% on high, if you wanted circling but no RTH (RTH could still be failsafed for signal loss though), you would set your low to %50 and your high to 100%. Same princible for ABM/Waypoints. Of course this all depends on your radios ability to be programmed as such.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:22 AM
Addicted to Foamies
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2006
41 Posts
Elevon Mixing

Hi all

When using the FY-31AP in an X8 flying wing - I understand that you have to activate elevon mixing on the FY 31AP unit. SImple enough. Do I also active elevon mixing on my RC TX ? - to me this seems the correct thing to do as when the FY 31AP is in deactivated mode surely all it does is pass the control signals from the RC RX to the servos and not act as a mixer ?

Chris
GasmanR is offline Find More Posts by GasmanR
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:27 AM
Joined Feb 2010
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omelette View Post
Hi all,

Just bench testing a 31ap in an elevon flying wing configuration (dip switch 3 up). Left, right, up, down all working as they should, ABM is working fine as well.

When I turn on RTL or ACM one servo moves full deflection. Not good, destined for a big crash.

I've had the full afternoon googling but only thing I found was a few pages back about moving the push rods closer to reduce throws and I'm not sure if these guys had the same problem as me. Still doesn't fix the servo movement problem also.

I haven't plugged it into a computer or upgraded any firmware.

I've done a reset and all the lights are doing what they are suppose to.

Anyone got a fix for it? or a link to similar problems? It's driving me nuts.

Ome

Edit......

Reflashing the firmware made a big difference, and I dialed in the pots again, it looks like she is good to go. Now as one elevon moves up the other moves down as it should. Still looks aggressive in movement and for a second or two when hitting RTL the unit looks like it still deciding which way to move the servos.
As someone said in a previous post you might find it better to have the pushrod on the servo at the closest hole to the output shaft and the pushrod on the control surface at the furthest point. I had the same problem with excessive control movement in RTH and ACM modes. The FY needs to be set up mechanically so the control inputs from the FY to the RX with give you the correct amount of deflection at the control surface. Then you can fine tune the gains on the FY to give the required feel that you prefer in ABM and good authority when RTH or ACM is enabled.

With the X8 before I set up the FY mechanically I was getting extreme angles of bank. Scary. Now it performs well.
ducati749r is offline Find More Posts by ducati749r