Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
851 Posts
FY31AP FAF mode

Hello Steve
First let me thank you for posting all the FY31AP and GCS movies you made; they are very nice and helped me figure out how to use it.

Perhaps you can help me on this one; I'm trying to enable FAF mode on the FY31AP with the GCS, but for some reason it doesn't save the flying mode configuration to the FY31AP. Every time it returns to default NAV mode instead. It's already running on firmware 1.20.

Any thoughts about that?

Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Video's
http://vimeo.com/35180853

how to connect
http://vimeo.com/31307727

FY GCS overview PLEASE CLICK THE LINK IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER AND WATCH IN HD ON VIMEO OR IT WILL BE BLURRY!!!!
http://vimeo.com/38753825
czorzella is online now Find More Posts by czorzella
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:17 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,958 Posts
do you have it on a 3 position switch?

also the 31ap does not maintain altitude in the middle switch position.. it only maintains roll and pitch.

in navigation mode it will maintian preset altitude.

you need a three position switch and need to adjust the enpoints of the switch to get your desired modes on some radios

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
851 Posts
Steve

Thank you for your information.

I have it configured on two x three position switch but I didn't actually test it on flight.

Reading some posts back I had an impression that by selecting FAF on GCS, then the NAV mode would be disabled; I was expecting to see the acronym "FAF" instead of NAV on screen of the Hornet OSD.

Are you saying that even if NAV mode is being showed on OSD, FAF is actually enabled? If so, is there a different way to confirm FAF mode is selected? Maybe using the GCS?

Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
do you have it on a 3 position switch?

also the 31ap does not maintain altitude in the middle switch position.. it only maintains roll and pitch.

in navigation mode it will maintian preset altitude.

you need a three position switch and need to adjust the enpoints of the switch to get your desired modes on some radios

Steve
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:33 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,958 Posts
I will start over..

the three position switch on your RC TX is manual, stabilize and navigation.

Stabilize will not maintain altitude with 31AP
Navigation will go to pre set waypoints

if you click an icon on the GCS screen in an attempt to change these modes it will do nothing all of this is controlled via RC TX

Now the Hornet is supposed to show the waypoint that you are flying to in the middle at the bottom on the screen when in navigation mode

If you are in stabilized mode I am sure it should say something else... I am not 100% familiar with the hornet's OSD.

In the gcs if you select stabilized mode the green icon should light up indicating this and NOT the navigation icon.... this will tell you that you are in the stabilized mode

Anothe way to tell is to simply put it in stabilized mode and the control surfaces should move as you bank the plane back and forth.

If you are in navigation mode and do the above test then the control surfaces will do much more strange things... but don't worry it won't do that in the air.

Things to remember RTL and Auto circle modes on the other switch take priority over manual stab and nav modes... so make sure you are in the middle on that switch.

also tripple check in stab mode that your surfaces are going the right way when the plane is banked left right up down etc.

does this help??

Steve
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:14 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,609 Posts
I believe he is refering to the new GCS ability to re-program nav mode for Altitude Hold, Heading Hold, or NAV, I have not yet tried this functionality myself... But when you are in balance mode it says ABM on the Hornet OSD, If you go to NAV mode it will say WP1, WP2, WP3 (Or something similar to this...)... etc, RTL will say RTL, Circle mode will say ACM.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
851 Posts
Steve,

NorCalMatCat understood my question. I've attached a PDF file where youŽll see snapshots of available GCS flying mode options and expected FAF mode
displayed on the hornet.

I just got a message from Feiyu-Tech support saying they were able to reproduce this issue and they expect to have it cleared on the next Hornet firmware update. Until then, I'm afraid we won't be able to use this FY-31AP functionality which was added with firmware 1.20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I believe he is refering to the new GCS ability to re-program nav mode for Altitude Hold, Heading Hold, or NAV, I have not yet tried this functionality myself... But when you are in balance mode it says ABM on the Hornet OSD, If you go to NAV mode it will say WP1, WP2, WP3 (Or something similar to this...)... etc, RTL will say RTL, Circle mode will say ACM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:17 AM
voyager4
The Netherlands, NH, Den Helder
Joined Sep 2005
29 Posts
My micro sd card into the hornet Osd didn't record anything of the FY-31. I have send Feiyu tech an email. In there answer they ask my if I use the 1.5 version, but there is no such a file on the download page of FY. The newest on the site is V1.4, that is what I use. Anyone know where to find the 1.5 version for the hornet osd?
voyager4 is offline Find More Posts by voyager4
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:24 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,615 Posts
Had some RTH issues with my FY31AP in the last few weeks.

A lot of hair pulling and scratching, and I finally traced it to my old AP117 OSD which I had 'recycled' for my X8 AP plane.

Conclusion: the AP117 CANNOT be used with the FY31AP. I have no idea why, but it messes up the RTH function AND the GCS communication too.

After I installed the Hornet OSD, everything works as advertised.

Wish I'd figured this out earlier. Could have saved me a lot of grief.

BB
borneobear is online now Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:11 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,958 Posts
MMM I use my old AP117 with 31AP

What issues did you have? did they crop up after a while?

Maybe I need to swap to the hornet. I removed the Hornet from my panda becuase I literally just watch the GCS with that thing... I don't ever fly it FPV becuase it's been so reliable I can tweek setting etc all day long....

I also just moved my Panda to my skywalker becuase the X5 is J.U.N.K.

Steve
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:12 AM
Tester 22
Australia, SA, Klemzig
Joined Oct 2010
15 Posts
Fy31ap

Hi guys.
First flew FY31AP in an X5 today. Went well.
Setup is X5, newer canted wingtips, unmodified thrust angle. Will add some pics later. Turnigy SX 3513 1420kV 40APlush, works great perfect power, not over powered though. EZUHF on Futaba 12FG with 8 ch lite Rx. Works great and with flt conditions set for each mode I have expo + less travel set for RC mode with separate trims on each mode. 2x 2200 3s in parellel gives 30 mins. Great! Ezosd with IRC 5.8 ghz vid setup with eztracker great, gives 2 km range with 5 turn helical.
CG is about 2cm in front of pimples. So a bit of throw is required in pitch. Got thrust line and trim perfect before going to abm. This makes a bit difference!!!! Was really windy today but RTH and ACM worked great. Coming back xwind, some big hdg changes were made to track back home, but all good. Wish that the fixed alt mode could be enabled though.
X5 with fwd cg was pretty sweet.

Cheers

Lachie
Lachlanhayes is offline Find More Posts by Lachlanhayes
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:11 PM
voyager4
Joined Sep 2005
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4 View Post
My micro sd card into the hornet Osd didn't record anything of the FY-31. I have send Feiyu tech an email. In there answer they ask my if I use the 1.5 version, but there is no such a file on the download page of FY. The newest on the site is V1.4, that is what I use. Anyone know where to find the 1.5 version for the hornet osd?
Get the Hornet V1.5 file today, thanks Feiyu tech
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:48 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,609 Posts
Hey where did you get it? It's not listed on the website, can you attach a link to it? Also what changes are in it? (Hopefully they fixed the SD Card reset bug!)
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
voyager4
Joined Sep 2005
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Hey where did you get it? It's not listed on the website, can you attach a link to it? Also what changes are in it? (Hopefully they fixed the SD Card reset bug!)
I get the file from Feiyu Tech, I send them an email and they are responsing very quick, great FY. I couldn't find this file on the FY site, maybe they will place it soon? I can send it to you by mail if you want.
Don't know the difference between the v1.4 and 1.5 yet ,and if it fix the sd card bug I don't know that too. At first sight I didn't see changes. I will test it asap.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:52 AM
Joined Jan 2012
851 Posts
Concerning the FAF mode not being displayed on Hornet OSD, I've inquired Feiyu-tech if v1.5 would have resolved the issue and I got the following reply:
----------------------
Dear sir,
We will renew the OSD firmware that it can display "FAF" as soon as possible. If it is tested successful ,We will tell you . Thank you very much!
Feiyu Team.
----------------------
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:52 AM
Addicted to Foamies
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2006
58 Posts
FY-31 AP Pin Interface

Hi all

Can someone please tell me the function of pins 8,7,6,5 on the 31-AP pin interface. They are labelled GND, Power, P1, P2 respectively but their function / purpose is not listed in the manual. Can I use pins 8 & 7 as power input from an ubec to avoid powering things from my esc via the throttle pins ?

Chris
GasmanR is offline Find More Posts by GasmanR