HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Hi NorCalMatCat,

I'm just back from work, I'll post a solution before bed time, within 3 hrs aprox.

Cheers mate,

regards to all,

Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Hi

I tried using a V-Tail mixer to do flaperons with my FY31. It worked on the bench. But I removed it because the servo movement was too rough. I have high speed servos and the V-tail mixer is one of those cheap ones. Do u get better quality ones? For highspeed coreless servos.

5m scale wow!
GTiDonavan is offline Find More Posts by GTiDonavan
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:25 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
FY31 AP, Suggestion for multiple servo connection.

Hi Guys,

@ NorCalMatCat, Sir, you are correct that there are no spaces in the FY31 brick for more than 3 flying control outputs.
I am going to guess that our chum has an rc system capable of mixing his outputs from his TX, so that he can have 2 Ailerons, with diff travel set to combat adverse yaw, 2 Flaps for variable wing camber functions, 1 Rudder and 1 Elevator. I make that 6 rx outputs, he also has Crow braking, for landing.

To fly his glider he requires roll, pitch and yaw with the added bonus of a braking function.
To have the glider flown by FY31AP he requires 2 more channel outputs, a 3 posn switch for selecting OFF, ABM, NAV modes, and another 3 posn switch for selecting RTL, OFF, ACM, that makes 8 rx outputs.
To enable flight by the FY31, we only need, Roll, Pitch and Yaw.
My suggested solution is this:
Connect 1 aileron, 1 elevator and 1 rudder servos to the output of the FY31, this will satisfy the control requirements.
Connect the 2, 3 posn (FY31 control) RX outputs to the FY31 as normal.
Leave the other aileron and 2 flaps as direct connection from rx output to the relevant servos.
Typical flying scenario #1, FY31 off; all normal set up, full functionality.
#2, ABM mode, FY31 assists with it's 3 dedicated servos.
#3, NAV mode, our pilot flys off into the blue under FY31 command to glide to his next sequential way point.
#4, ACM mode, FY31 commands circling flight.
#5, RTL mode, FY31 commands return to launch/start/ home.
The physical set up would require the 'brick' to be fitted slightly nose up, to allow the glider to attain the correct attitude for sustained gliding flight.
A glider will fly succesfuly with one aileron in roll function, especially with differential movement set up, it will be slower than with 2 ailerons, or the Rudder's secondary effect of roll could be used for the wing leveling in ABM, NAV and RTL modes.
I personally use rudder and no ailerons with the FY31 for flying with aileron output to the rudder servo, I'm cheap and it saves weight.
Further comments and suggestions are most welcome.

To view the attached schematic, double click for largest viewing size.

Cheers,
regards to all,

Al
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:55 PM
Neal
Christchurch, NZ
Joined Nov 2004
154 Posts
Wow Al, that was exactly what I was looking for. I have a Futaba 9C and a 10C.
The 10C says it has "PCM:8+2 channels W/TM10 8+2/7" whatever that means.

At the moment I use 6 channels (2 Aileron, 2 Flap, 1 rudder, 1 Elevator)
plus one siwtch for aerotow release and turning my Thermal Scout on/off.

I did have one switch for spoilers but don't use them, and another for a retract that I also don't use now.

The three position switches are used for camber control etc, but what I can do is set up two model memories, one for normal flight, and the second for FPV flight. Not sure what happens if I switch model memory in flight, never been brave enough to try it!
HotAir2 is offline Find More Posts by HotAir2
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I don't think this concept is going to work well... for one crow will not work with any FY31AP mode but off, it will dampen all control inputs and create a differential anyway as the aileron on the FY31AP will have much less throw then the one that is not, same for crow and such.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:03 PM
Neal
Christchurch, NZ
Joined Nov 2004
154 Posts
Hmm, I see what you mean. I'll have to buy one and set it up on the bench and test it.

If I am thinking about this the right way, I can fly with it disabled (RC) mode, then I won't have any problems at all.

Assume I fly with it in RC mode then lose control (Tx failure, out of range etc) then the FY31AP will kick in and bring me home - with limited functionality and on only one aileron. It will kick in automatically won't it?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Neal
HotAir2 is offline Find More Posts by HotAir2
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
If you setup failsafes yes, I have mine setup to RTH on failsafe with 50% throttle, I do not use the throttle management of the AP itself.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
"Suggestion"

Hi Guys,

The ideas given above are a suggestion, it is a 'best fit' from the information supplied by Neal, "to make my glider safer", I agree it is not an optomized solution, but Neal will know how he wants to make his glider safer, I only offer an idea to make progress.
If it were me flying my 5mtr glider, I would personaly fly it in rc mode (FY31 OFF) in line of sight, certainly for launch and landing I would want all functions available. However, once at height setting off on X-country flight the ABM mode would reduce pilot workload.
For autostab function there are other systems available, HK has one for $18;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html

It is a matter of 'Horses for courses' as I see it, you pays your money and takes your choice, I fly large foam sheet airframes costing less than $50 with $100's and $100's worth of exotic electronics and cameras inside them, that makes no sense, but it works for me, I have FUN.

Neal, I hope you get something out of this mate.

Cheers,

regards to all,

Al
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:05 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Roll correction on one servo?

Hi Guys,

With regard to the doubtfulness of one aileron servo being sufficient to manage the roll control, a possible solution would be to adjust the 'Gain pot' to increase the movement, if required.
I have flown with one aileron and it is managable, ask the nice guys who fly speed models around a triangular race course, sometimes they use only one, to save weight, mind you all turns are normaly in one direction, but you still have to roll in and out of the turn. I guess the only way forwards here is to actually do it, and then we see the results.
As NorCalMatCat has said, failsafe settings on the RC must enable RTL mode, with appropriate power level, if applicable.
Most FY31 users have tested this feature at some time or another, and it has proven very reliable. I found the most unusual thing was to NOT interfere with rc control inputs when in any of the "auto modes", it took a few flights to readjust to this technique.

Cheers,

regards to all,

Al
Last edited by rotorheid; Jul 24, 2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:49 AM
Madras India
Joined Aug 2006
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Video's
http://vimeo.com/35180853

how to connect
http://vimeo.com/31307727

FY GCS overview PLEASE CLICK THE LINK IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER AND WATCH IN HD ON VIMEO OR IT WILL BE BLURRY!!!!
http://vimeo.com/38753825
i have a xbee 09p 900mhz :-
http://www.digi.com/products/wireles...o-900#overview
which is the base board that you are using for interfacing the xbee with the computer and the fy 31 ap .
i tried a making a circute with the st232cn ic and then connected it to a cp2102 usb to serial converter board , the data is transmitting and being received which is indicated by the leds connected and i double checked it using the hyperterminal, but it did not work with the FY 3D GCS software.

let me know how you used the xbee so that i can follow the same procedure.
can you use the adafruit xbee adapter?.
sbrv24 is offline Find More Posts by sbrv24
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Is it not risky with one aileron on AP. Couldnt you get in a situation where you turning one side and the otherside is compensating and both could lift at the same time. For example. Pushing the plane down
GTiDonavan is offline Find More Posts by GTiDonavan
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:01 AM
voyager4
The Netherlands, NH, Den Helder
Joined Sep 2005
30 Posts
Had a good flight today. With my own build cloverleaf I flew for about 4,5km away of the homepoint. I had installed a micro sd into the hornet osd but after the flight nothing was written on the sd. The FY-31 and the Hornet works fine. Do I have to do something before the micro sd will capture the telemetie data from the fy-31? maybe I have to format in another format?
please help.
voyager4 is offline Find More Posts by voyager4
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4 View Post
Had a good flight today. With my own build cloverleaf I flew for about 4,5km away of the homepoint. I had installed a micro sd into the hornet osd but after the flight nothing was written on the sd. The FY-31 and the Hornet works fine. Do I have to do something before the micro sd will capture the telemetie data from the fy-31? maybe I have to format in another format?
please help.
Was the SD card formatted prior to use? Also be aware there is a reset bug with the Hornet and using SD cards... the FY people know about it and hopefully are working on fixing it... It won't effect your flying, but will reset all screen data including your home location visually, though RTH would still bring it back to your actual home location... just be aware .
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:39 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4 View Post
please help.
Did your cloverleaf setup improve your signal. I just tried a cloverleaf setup this weekend on a 5.8 ghz system and noticed an improvement with just a little bit of noise on the turn around back to base.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:59 AM
voyager4
The Netherlands, NH, Den Helder
Joined Sep 2005
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
Did your cloverleaf setup improve your signal. I just tried a cloverleaf setup this weekend on a 5.8 ghz system and noticed an improvement with just a little bit of noise on the turn around back to base.
Yes it did, I have a cristal clear picture on my fatshark. I use 2.4ghz 500mw for video. I turned at 4,5km because at that time I think it was far enough but I know it can be much further. With the Fy-31 inside I will try another time to go for 5+ km because I know the FY will save me, I hope

this is the video of the flight, pitty I did not have video of the osd data, I had hoped to get the data from the sd card and played it back in the GCS software.

Fpv flight over the pishoek, Slootdorp (3 min 9 sec)

Does anyone know how the format for the micro sd, is it Fat or another format?
voyager4 is offline Find More Posts by voyager4
Last edited by voyager4; Jul 25, 2012 at 03:04 AM.