SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:07 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,042 Posts
IMHO ardu is junk.. give me FY any day...
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Hello everybody,

This post isn't to say that one is better than the other, it's only a problem that I have and I would like some feedback/suggestion/solution to my problem:
I have the FY-31AP on a bixler, on the bench I don't have vibrations in any percentage of the throttle, every servo is traveling in the right direction and the stabilization is working also in right direction.
The plane with the FY-31AP disabled flies great, the TX input is minimal, but when I enable the FY-31AP to ABM, immediately the plane banks to the right.
Already tried to do the "Neutral Recording" on the ground and in the air, without any success!
I have one FY-30A unit working in another plane with the DOSD, and I didn't had any of this problems, even the "Neutral Recording" was in the ground only once!

All the best,

Geotete

P.S. - Anyone is using the 9x with this unit and have the 3 positions working in the TX? Can share the file?
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:43 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotete View Post
Hello everybody,
The plane with the FY-31AP disabled flies great, the TX input is minimal, but when I enable the FY-31AP to ABM, immediately the plane banks to the right.
Already tried to do the "Neutral Recording" on the ground and in the air, without any success!
Geotete
I NEVER do the neutral recording in the air. I rather go with the 'safer' method of doing it fixed on the table. Never have a problem this way.

Look at your LEDs. If they are blinking funny (e.g. red LED flashing even without any movement, then you need to reset the Gyro).

I've had my X8 do what you mentioned because the gains were too high (31ap went bonkers because of my motor vibrations). I brought the gains to just a few clicks from center and no more issues after that.

Gains DO NOT have to be at maximum.

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
I found that if the AP is not facing exactly forward it will cause compensation to fly straight and can cause a bank. Because no kind of neutral initialization can account for forward motion
GTiDonavan is offline Find More Posts by GTiDonavan
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:22 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Hello everybody,

This post isn't to say that one is better than the other, it's only a problem that I have and I would like some feedback/suggestion/solution to my problem:
I have the FY-31AP on a bixler, on the bench I don't have vibrations in any percentage of the throttle, every servo is traveling in the right direction and the stabilization is working also in right direction.
I have one FY-30A unit working in another plane with the DOSD, and I didn't had any of this problems, even the "Neutral Recording" was in the ground only once!

All the best,

Geotete

P.S. - Anyone is using the 9x with this unit and have the 3 positions working in the TX? Can share the file?
I installed 2 * 3 Way switches from Radio Shack, replacing some of the Rotary Pots. Connect the wires the same, middle to middle, left to left etc and solder in 4.8K resistors between the middle pin on the switch to left pin and another to the right pin. Works great for FY-31AP controls. I did 2 switches, 1 for stabilization, Nav and the other for RTL & Circle.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:08 PM
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Hello everybody,

All the best,

Geotete

are the 3way switches clean?
Control with servo monitor.
FY: are the blue LED indicators flashing correct?

Best regards
Otto
autist is offline Find More Posts by autist
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:17 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autist View Post
are the 3way switches clean?
Control with servo monitor.

Best regards
Otto
They were new so relatively clean... sorry couldn't resist. Not sure what you mean!

If I connect a servo to the switch channel, Down would move the servo down, Middle position server in neutral & up would move the servo up. Basically the same as the rotary pot but with only 3 fixed positions. Works well with FY-31AP, I hated using the rotary dial, hence the switch to 3 pos switch.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:18 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,311 Posts
Blue lights flash correctly on the FY-31AP.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:34 PM
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Blue lights flash correctly on the FY-31AP.
OK.
May be you know: nethertheless is the firmware of your FY 31 #1.20? http://www.feiyu-tech.com/news-en.php?id=20&nav_num=4
I had small problems with the former 1.12.
1.20 is without problems.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
I had problems with my fy31ap when I got it. It wouldn't rth or acm...just circle and the wind would carry it away. Manufacture told me to reload firmware (even though I had the latest). I did that and reset the gyros and reset neutral. After doing this it works as advertised.
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiDonavan View Post
I found that if the AP is not facing exactly forward it will cause compensation to fly straight and can cause a bank. Because no kind of neutral initialization can account for forward motion
Quote:
Originally Posted by borneobear View Post
I NEVER do the neutral recording in the air. I rather go with the 'safer' method of doing it fixed on the table. Never have a problem this way.

Look at your LEDs. If they are blinking funny (e.g. red LED flashing even without any movement, then you need to reset the Gyro).

I've had my X8 do what you mentioned because the gains were too high (31ap went bonkers because of my motor vibrations). I brought the gains to just a few clicks from center and no more issues after that.

Gains DO NOT have to be at maximum.

BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
I had problems with my fy31ap when I got it. It wouldn't rth or acm...just circle and the wind would carry it away. Manufacture told me to reload firmware (even though I had the latest). I did that and reset the gyros and reset neutral. After doing this it works as advertised.
Thanks everybody,

I'm using the latest firmware and already done the reset, more than once, to the firmware and to the gyros. What I don't understand is, if it is so easy for the FY-30A, why not for the FY-31AP?
The led's are working OK without any error.
Gains are a 15% to 20% from the neutral, not at maximum.
I did start to record the neutral on the bench and after the erratic flight I tried in the air.
The unit is in the middle of the plane and the arrow is pointing forward, as you can check by the images.
For dampening the vibrations I'm using one layer of this and on top another of this, so I have the vibrations controlled. Check the image.
I will give another try this weekend and will have in consideration all the comments.
Thanks,

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:27 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,042 Posts
sounds like you have tried most everything... my only shot in the dark is that the CF is playing a part in this??? but this is a real shot in the dark...

can you produce the effect on the ground? if so maybe create the effect, then remove it from the CF and try again????

Steve
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Thanks everybody,

I'm using the latest firmware and already done the reset, more than once, to the firmware and to the gyros. What I don't understand is, if it is so easy for the FY-30A, why not for the FY-31AP?
The led's are working OK without any error.
Gains are a 15% to 20% from the neutral, not at maximum.
I did start to record the neutral on the bench and after the erratic flight I tried in the air.
The unit is in the middle of the plane and the arrow is pointing forward, as you can check by the images.
For dampening the vibrations I'm using one layer of this and on top another of this, so I have the vibrations controlled. Check the image.
I will give another try this weekend and will have in consideration all the comments.
Thanks,

Geotete
I had issues with my gps being located close to the hornet osd and carbon fiber. I needed to relocate the gps on top of the wing. Now I get 12 satellites where as before I would get 5 to 7. Not saying that this is your issue but something to keep in mind.
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:20 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
I installed 2 * 3 Way switches from Radio Shack, replacing some of the Rotary Pots. Connect the wires the same, middle to middle, left to left etc and solder in 4.8K resistors between the middle pin on the switch to left pin and another to the right pin. Works great for FY-31AP controls. I did 2 switches, 1 for stabilization, Nav and the other for RTL & Circle.
I considered circuit board bashing the FY31 AP and replacing the micro pots
with better quality pots but never got around to performing the micro surgery
soldering required.
I like the size of the pots that are on the FY 20 A stabilizer.
Too bad they didn't stick to that size of integration for the FY 31.
Glad to see that somebody replaced the pots with something else and ending up with good results.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:23 AM
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
They were new so relatively clean... sorry couldn't resist. Not sure what you mean!

If I connect a servo to the switch channel, Down would move the servo down, Middle position server in neutral & up would move the servo up. Basically the same as the rotary pot but with only 3 fixed positions. Works well with FY-31AP, I hated using the rotary dial, hence the switch to 3 pos switch.
I watched in servo monitor of T14, that playing with other channels one switch channel for FY suddenly moved!
I had in a former model mixed this in prog.mixer.
If this condition occured in flying FY RTH was out.
I think, modell flying with the new technics is sometimes VOODOO
Last edited by autist; Jul 12, 2012 at 06:39 AM.