HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:25 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsam View Post
Open the GCS and minamize, waiting 3 minutes and use!

I have many problems with the GCS... When i do it, the program works!

Thanks!
Open task manager and view the process log while running the GCS... the GCS is a hog, and demands too much from the computers resources... too bad that the code is proprietary... I believe linux, or mac for that matter would be a better platform for serial port controllers...Feiyu hard ware is high quality, but perhaps they should let others develop the software...
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:06 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
491 Posts
After repairing my EPP FPV that has the feiyu fy-31 installed, I think i am ready to test the system. After months of owning the Feiyu gear, I still haven't got around to really testing it out... I am new to FPV, and all the equipment I am using is also new... It is a little overwhelming! Unfortunately for me there really is no suitable launch / landing site anywhere near me (except for the lakes) so I have had some trouble getting flight time. Add to that the windy, nasty weather of late....

Obviously the GCS is an issue... Feiyu is working on it, and I am certain they will come up with something really good! In the meantime, I would recommend that the fy-31 is not reliable for instant waypointing. Initially I was intending to use this feature, it seems that the GCS is the limiting factor.

Ground range tests with the 433mHz data 602 modems indicates that the range is there. I ground tested the system to 500m... Link rates with the data modems are good, but bottle necked by the slow USB serial port situation.

Waypoint flying in my neck of the woods will result in a loss of LOS, so i am being extra cautious about using the GPS based NAV features, in fear that a malfunction or glitch will result in my loss of the airplane...

The ABM mode is brilliant! I have been able to set the system up, and in my limited test am confident that it works like a charm.Still haven't tried the Auto circle, or updated the firmware for heading hold...

In one of my initial flight tests, I had a system failure,I believe this was due to overheating the underpowered BEC. Don't skimp here! Do as instructed and spend the money on a reliable heavy duty 10A BEC. In my case, I added two more 3A BEC, One BEC runs the RX / FY-31, one runs the Video system, including Hornet and GPS, the last runs the data modem

The supplied wire harness need to be upgraded. The included male to female adapter is problematic, don't use it. I soldered all my connections for the modems directly, and am running the fy-31 and modem separately, and independent from the video system.

As a result the total system with 500mW video Tx, data modem, pan/tilt cam, video recorder (30g HD wing cam) three separate BEC, 2x 1000mAh 3s batteries and Feiyu FY-31ap/ GPS/ Hornet has taken on some weight....I am now running 6s 5000mAh on 85A ESC, with 42mm NTM motor on 10/7. AUW in excess of 3kg....

The data modem gets very warm, and has limited heatsinking, so I mount the unit to the top of the wing. It tends to be a power hog, and along with the video Tx rundown the 2000mAh battery in less than 30min...

All in all I am very happy with the feiyu products,and customer support. The GCS issue will be solved, one way or the other soon... I am sure of it!

Now that I am all set up with the LRS, i will be off to explore the Algonquin park area! Hopefully I will have some decent video, and flight test / reports soon!

Nice work Feiyu, keep it coming!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Hello Everybody,

My USB TTL cable from FyeTech is dead.
Is there any way to improvise a cable or I have to buy the one from Feiyu?

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:02 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I just wanted to report in that I finally got to test fly my plane with the new motor yesterday and it went great! I could go from dead stick to WOT with no ill effects in ABM. ABM also made the stiff cross wind landing pretty easy .

Now that I am confident my AP is functioning well I am going to start pushing the limits and see what she can do .

Also it sounds like ReadyMade will have stock in a week or two and they will be replacing mine because of the POTS, I do dread having to take it out of the plane and even more so setting up the replacement one, but I do need it to get it dialed in perfectly like I want it, but its flying OK for now .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:57 AM
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
902 Posts
Hi,
Can't wait for the new 2D GCS. It must be hard for a small company to pull all these bits and peices together, make product to make money and do R & D.
I am very thankful for this little box. I was flying out over French Island (near where I live) and was about 8km from home with 5km of water between me and the plane when I panned to have a look around and I lost picture but still had OSD so I knew the camera cable pulled out. I hit RTL and sure enough about 10mins later I could hear it circling above. I was able to follow and descend from about 600m to 80m using the OSD. It was like flying IFRand I just had to relax and trust the instruments.

So my $300 investment saved itself, plane and other equipment. I have had no issues with the FY 31ap and wanted to post this here for those wondering whether or not it is worth it.
damoz is offline Find More Posts by damoz
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:02 AM
wep
https://vimeo.com/wep800
Joined Dec 2006
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damoz View Post
Hi,
Can't wait for the new 2D GCS. It must be hard for a small company to pull all these bits and peices together, make product to make money and do R & D.
I am very thankful for this little box. I was flying out over French Island (near where I live) and was about 8km from home with 5km of water between me and the plane when I panned to have a look around and I lost picture but still had OSD so I knew the camera cable pulled out. I hit RTL and sure enough about 10mins later I could hear it circling above. I was able to follow and descend from about 600m to 80m using the OSD. It was like flying IFRand I just had to relax and trust the instruments.

So my $300 investment saved itself, plane and other equipment. I have had no issues with the FY 31ap and wanted to post this here for those wondering whether or not it is worth it.
Good story!
wep is online now Find More Posts by wep
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:53 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I had a most perfect landing in 10mph cross wind today thanks to ABM. Came down while going about 3mph forward and touched the ground so soft the landing gear didn't even make a noise!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
59 Posts
How to connect FY606 data radio to GCS?

hi all.

first time going into FPV.
I bought the FY31AP, Hornet OSD and a pair of FY606 data radios.
exactly like in alishanmaos video
Unboxing FY31AP Hornet OSD and FY606 Data Radio (5 min 47 sec)

Seems like I can't connect the FY606 radio to my laptop/GCS
without an additional adapter box... am I right?

Where can I buy this adapter? Bummed that this piece of eqpt
wasnt clearly indicated as a necessary item to connect data radio
to GCS.

thanks
blushoes is offline Find More Posts by blushoes
Old May 01, 2012, 08:45 AM
Addicted to Foamies
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2006
60 Posts
USB -TTL Adaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blushoes View Post
hi all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_CjLEgfx2Q

to GCS.

thanks
While you can buy USB-TTL adaptors for other places on the web ( just google and you can find merchants).

The FY-31AP includes a usb-ttl cable in the package. It is used to update the firmware of the 31AP but from my reading should be able to be used to connect the 602 modem to a computer.

You just need something like a header pin plug to connect the cable from the data modem to the usb ttl cable attached to your computer.

Chris
GasmanR is offline Find More Posts by GasmanR
Old May 01, 2012, 09:15 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blushoes View Post
hi all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_CjLEgfx2Q

to GCS.

thanks
Didn't you get a remote adapter with the data radio?
Old May 01, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Hornet runs off of 3s lipo.

I run 5 servos, and 31AP off of a 5a SBEC, and Hornet off of a seperate battery myself.

Also much unexpectedly ReadyMade shipped me out a replacement FY31AP + return shipping for the current unit .
Old May 01, 2012, 07:05 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
411 Posts
if i plugged the GPS into the wrong socket on the Hornet OSD.... feeding it 5v instead of 3.3v.... have I broken my GPS sensor?

It now just doesn't get a lock at all, the FY31AP red light constantly flashes... help
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old May 01, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbrit81 View Post
if i plugged the GPS into the wrong socket on the Hornet OSD.... feeding it 5v instead of 3.3v.... have I broken my GPS sensor?

It now just doesn't get a lock at all, the FY31AP red light constantly flashes... help
Try resetting the gyros, though glashing red LED is a sign something is wrong...
Old May 01, 2012, 09:01 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
Oh no! My guess would be yes it's toast but I hope not!

A blinking red light means sat lock but if it's blinking immediately then something is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbrit81 View Post

saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old May 02, 2012, 04:51 AM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
411 Posts
It starts to blink (at the same rate as the blue light) as soon as I plug in power, when I'm inside... I don't think it can have sat lock in the kitchen so I think it's toast... gutted

I'll reset the gyros ( the unit has been sitting dormant in the shed for a few months ) and do some static testing in the garden today with the FPV gear all plugged in and switched on. The HornetOSD will quickly show if I have any GPS issues... where to buy just the GPS sensor though? and are any other GPS sensors compatible with FY31AP?
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB