HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:39 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
Congrats Cat! Where was that vid taken?... I was out yesterday, and managed to get a chopping, jumpy image recorded... Right here in Algonquin Park Area! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rErN_...SE0A_JyyKl7j0=
Arcata, CA, the area I fly from is private property, but it borders a wildlife bird sanctuary which is what all the lakes are.

It turns out the horizontal sync issue is because the OSD really beefs up the video signal, and my EZCap doesn't like it, someone suggested I put a 500ohm potemeter on my video wire, since Radio Shack didn't have one I am going to see if adding an extra length of Video cabling will attenuate it enough to get jumpy free recordings. (Note my live view does not jump around!), at either rate I now have the connector for my 1 watt RC booster so I am about to go break some personal distance records :P
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Juggernaut Maiden
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
465 Posts
I am setting up the same booster... i am hoping that it will give me the range i need as well... lots of space to fly up here. Picked up a new cam, for some better vid. Check it out:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html

I have been recording the video feed, from a ccd cam. Never happy with the quality... This little cam should do the trick
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
I am setting up the same booster... i am hoping that it will give me the range i need as well... lots of space to fly up here. Picked up a new cam, for some better vid. Check it out:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html

I have been recording the video feed, from a ccd cam. Never happy with the quality... This little cam should do the trick
I tested the booster today, works great however it introduced a LOT of noise to my video signal... I am going to have to come up with a way to distance my video antenna a little bit, I noticed just turning myself slightly to get the antennas farther apart made it at least viewable, but it left a lot of bands of lines in my video, and if I was standing how I usually stand it would go from lines to bands of static!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:50 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
465 Posts
Good point... I think an RF inline filter is in order. http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=...9,r:9,s:0,i:85
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Good point... I think an RF inline filter is in order. http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=...9,r:9,s:0,i:85
Yeah that is good for when 1.3Ghz harmonic is stepping all over 2.4Ghz control, my situation is proximity of high power 2.4Ghz (1 watt amp on 2.4 Ghz radio (Input is set to 10dbi to comply with input window of the amp), on a 5db gain omni antenna, which was positioned 1 to 2 feet from SPW 1.3Ghz RX antenna. My solution is going to be to ground my TX case and put it on a tripod about 4 or 5 feet from the entire ground station, and maybe get some sort of tube to give it maybe from 5 feet altitude to about 10 feet altitude :P.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:03 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Congrats Cat! Where was that vid taken?... I was out yesterday, and managed to get a chopping, jumpy image recorded... Right here in Algonquin Park Area! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rErN_...SE0A_JyyKl7j0=
Now that I see where you are flying,I don't think that you would have any problem with your telemetry equipment interfering with other systems.
Unfortunately , your radio range must really suck no matter what frequency you use.
In the bush , I found that UHF has the best range , but you have to get your
base antenna up high, even higher than the trees. Maybe by using a helium balloon or a fire lookout you can get your antenna up high enough.
or something. If you start going that way , you better have a HAM radio license.
I just finished reading an article written by Zoltan Pittner the FPV chairman in the MAAC (Model Aeronautics Association of Canada) magazine.
In answering a question of what frequency can be used by somebody who doesn't have a HAM license, his answer is : NONE
He also states that the power output limit for analog transmitters set by Industry Canada is 0.75 milliwatts (or 0.00075 watts). This is referring to the January 2012 issue of the MAAC magazine.
Sorry to rain on your parade
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:55 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
465 Posts
That's ok larry, i am not too worried. My basic plan is to stay under the radar as it were, and make triple sure that I don't produce a reason for the "authorities" to come after me... As a general rule, if no harm done, no bonifide claim, then no foul.

I like your idea of using a ballon to position my antenna... A HAM lic would be handy, more for the knowledge than anything, research on the web can only get so far... now that you see where i am flying you see why I want long range, and major redundancy. I really don't want to lose my plane!

Raining today, so no go on the flights, hey CAT, how far did you get?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:47 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
465 Posts
A few weeks ago I was testing the FY-31 on the lake ner my house. All the equipment I was using at the time was new.. New and never maidened... My set up included a new radio(turnigy 9) and the FY equipment. At the time I was unsure if i could trust the inexpensive stock turnigy radio, so I kept LOS and checked out the range. During the flight, as I set up an approach, my plane lost control, and crashed. When I watched the video (I was recording the flight onto the laptop, but not wearing my fatsharks) I noticed that just before I lost control and crashed, the video jumped and became distorted for a fraction of a sec, then switched the flight mode from RC to ABM.... The hard nose it was repaired, and I went back a week or so later an tried the same test. This time I creashed in the very same spot!!! (only a few feet away) Strange, and unlikely. By that time I had some time to play with the equipment, and had range checked the radio system to about 1 km. The crash that occured was only a few hundred feet from me, so range was out. I began to wonder if someone on the lake wasn`t using a high power wifi amplifier... So i began to ask around and sure enough the cottage right infront of the crash site has a 2.4gHz amp that is always left on. I asked if they would turn it off when they weren`t using it, and if when I fly there they would also turn it off.. They were nice and aggreed and are very interested in having a nice aerial shot of their cottage in return... anyway, my point is that we need to protect our selves from unwanted noise, particularily when running an autopilot... rouge drones could speel an end to our fun if life of liability damage occurs... Perhaps sharing a band with internet users isn`t such a good idea.. now I am looking back at my 9cap and whishing i never got into 2.4 to begin with...
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,586 Posts
I chose a 2.4 amp because I don't have the $300 to $400 right this moment to lay down on a UHF system, though eventually I am going to :P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:22 PM
Estonia
Joined Mar 2010
60 Posts
Abm

Hey guys,

I ve done some more testing with my fy31ap and I cannot get the ABM nor the Waypoint mode to work. RTH and ACM work fine.
I ve done the dipswitch 4 calibration, but that didnt change anything.
whenever I try and switch on the ABM or Waypoint mode the AP pushes down the elevator and banks to the right and would spiral until impact.
Any thoughts on this, what am I doing wrong?

regards,
T.
thulufu is offline Find More Posts by thulufu
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thulufu View Post
Hey guys,

I ve done some more testing with my fy31ap and I cannot get the ABM nor the Waypoint mode to work. RTH and ACM work fine.
I ve done the dipswitch 4 calibration, but that didnt change anything.
whenever I try and switch on the ABM or Waypoint mode the AP pushes down the elevator and banks to the right and would spiral until impact.
Any thoughts on this, what am I doing wrong?

regards,
T.
What mine would do before I got the vibrations down a bit...

I actually flew ABM mode today while FPVing .
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
That's ok larry, i am not too worried. My basic plan is to stay under the radar as it were, and make triple sure that I don't produce a reason for the "authorities" to come after me... As a general rule, if no harm done, no bonifide claim, then no foul.

I like your idea of using a ballon to position my antenna... A HAM lic would be handy, more for the knowledge than anything, research on the web can only get so far... now that you see where i am flying you see why I want long range, and major redundancy. I really don't want to lose my plane!

Raining today, so no go on the flights, hey CAT, how far did you get?
My balloon idea involves a "Cross Banding 433 MHZ UHF to 900 MHZ modem" system. Right now I have a long range UM-12 433 MHZ modem setup that I want to interconnect it with my 900 MHZ Xbee Pro. Unfortunately my UHF modem is limited to 1200 baud however I really am only interested in command signals and GPS data so that speed should be adequate.
I would like to have the 433 MHZ modem installed in my plane (connected to the FY-31 AP ) and then transmit info to the cross-band repeater ( located at a high level platform) and then down beam to my ground station via the 900 MHZ Xbee Pro modem.
My UM-12 UHF system only outputs 10 milliwatts and the Xbee 900 puts out 50 milliwatts so you can see that the repeater would have to deal with only 60 milliwatts of RF power and use the advantage of higher line of sight weather it be a tower, balloon, kite,tree top mountain top etc to get a very good line of sight with my UAV or FPV.Therefore you have a low power system that is not going to cause too much interference and it's not going to drain the batteries of your UAV, FPV or high level repeater platform.
I'm just wondering if the baud rate of the FP-31 AP can operate at 1200 baud.
I haven't tried that out yet.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:07 AM
Estonia
Joined Mar 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
What mine would do before I got the vibrations down a bit...

I actually flew ABM mode today while FPVing .
Hm but the indicator on the OSD doesnt really show any vibrations, but I ll give it a try with the motor turned off, it should work then right?
I ve got the AP mounted on the pads... what else do you suggest to get the vibes down?

T.
thulufu is offline Find More Posts by thulufu
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:21 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thulufu View Post
Hm but the indicator on the OSD doesnt really show any vibrations, but I ll give it a try with the motor turned off, it should work then right?
I ve got the AP mounted on the pads... what else do you suggest to get the vibes down?

T.
If you are talking about the AERO reading mine just stays 0000 too, look at the AP while it is in the plane and throttle up, and look to see if the red light starts to blink or not.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:18 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2008
291 Posts
Stripped pots problem here too

Hi

I have both the FY-31 AP and FY-30A. After reading about the stripped pots problem here I was extra careful when I turned the pots on my FY-30A.

As mentioned here before, the pots are tight because there is some goo covering them (see picture).

Although I was most careful and used just minimal amount of torque in my fingers and absolutely the right size screwdriver, the rudder pot was stripped.

The pots are really fragile, like clay.

I sent this picture and explanation to BevRC where I bought my stuff from in March and to Feiyutech as well. Hope they will replace my stabilizer with a new one or at least fix it. Will let you know what happens.
tupelo is offline Find More Posts by tupelo