Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:27 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,625 Posts
Yeah my plane setup doesn't have all of the best high quality stuff, but it runs well. My motor itself has 0 vibrations, you can put it propless on a table top and it won't even move when on, however it was never designed for the 6x4 prop I use, so I originally dremeled out the opening of the prop to fit the prop adapter, but obviously dremeling a prop is not the best of ideas and I am sure it is not perfectly center. The new motor I am getting not only is about 100 watts more powerful, and about 4000 RPM higher, but also a great match for a 6x4.

My ESC is rated (at constant) for 15 amps more then the motor will pull at WOT so I know it's fine, and I have a really nice 5A UBEC that I use. I have it setup with AP, Motor, and servos running off main battery, and camera, vTX, and OSD running on another.

I do have cheap servos in there, but they haven't given me a problem yet, and will eventually get replaced.
NorCalMatCat is online now Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:28 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
sounds good man! it's also good to stick with what you know works.

yes your vibes are likely from the hold being out of round... no amount of balancing can fix that...

good luck in the maiden!!!

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:33 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
are you using the supplied rubbery mounts? or velcro?

they recommend you use the rubbery mounts.

Can you do a test for me and try mounting it directly to the foam or whatever with double stick tape? then check your error to see if it's better or worse.

Steve
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,625 Posts
The way it is currently... I have a foam mount I made that velcros into the plane, it sits very snuggly in there. On that are 4 of the rubber mounts they include on the 4 corners of the AP. It does seem to me that the rubber dampening stuff they have is almost too soft.

My booster is here, but of course the patch is an RP-SMA to SMA, and I need an SMA to SMA patch, I have no clue if anyone in town is going to have them... maybe radio shack and they are going to charge a fistfull :P.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:16 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
1,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
I have flown the new firmware for 31ap today...

I can confirm the heading hold is EXACTLY what I requested and it works awesome!

However I could not enter the path navigation mode though... so not sure if there is something I am missing or there is a bug..

FY is busy at nab right now so they are not responding to me for the past few weeks.

Anyway heading hold is wicked!

Steve
Great! I requested that way back when they first introduced the FY-21. Glad to see you got them to finally listen.

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
they listen sometimes but we have to remember this is not a big company raking in gobs of cash... they are just a few engineers and must prioritize according to their costs etc.

If we are patient and remember this is hobby grade stuff for FUN we will all have a great time!

Steve
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,625 Posts
Ok I had my re-maiden! It wasn't a very long flight and the winds where whipping around 10 to 20 mph so I kept it under 1km. I did not use any of the AP modes during FPV though I did mess with it before the flight. Also oddly enough at one point in flight my Hornet OSD reset itself, was just flying along and all of a sudden it came up Hornet OSD v1.4 and proceeded to work as normal.

I also noticed no end of flight summary either?

My ground station recording was with EZCap on my laptop, the quality is crap and for some reason my EZCap was really doing a crappy job of keeping the sync right causing a lot of horizontal movement, though my display I fly with was much better then it used to be (I think the hornet OSD power system is much cleaner then what I was using before...).

I will have the video up soon :P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:44 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
I found a better recorder than EZ cap... remind me if I forget to post a link when I get home.

strange about the reset on the osd... are you supplying 12v to it? also what firmware are you running on the 31AP? the new one? and I think there is a way to update firmware on the hornet too...

reset on the osd sounds like a possible momentary losss in power to the osd. check connections by wiggling etc.

Steve
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
I found a better recorder than EZ cap... remind me if I forget to post a link when I get home.

strange about the reset on the osd... are you supplying 12v to it? also what firmware are you running on the 31AP? the new one? and I think there is a way to update firmware on the hornet too...

reset on the osd sounds like a possible momentary losss in power to the osd. check connections by wiggling etc.

Steve
Yeah I have a 3S 500mah on the Hornet, I landed with a voltage of 11.8 so I know it hardly used the battery. The 31AP should be 1.2, I updated both AP and Hornet at the same time. I will check connections though.

Oh forgot to post a pic from after my successful flight today :P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
thanks for posting!!! love seeing others setups.

ok so then it's down to connection loss eitehr power or data... or bad firmware lets hope its not firmware

Nice pic! how do you like the clover leaf? and do you notice a big difference in range / video quality from a patch?

Steve
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,625 Posts
First Post Crash FPV Flight - 4/13/2012 (4 min 44 sec)

Here is an edited down version of my FPV flight today... note that my live RX was not this bad, my EZCap is screwing up on horizontal sync, and records with just plane crap quality, also the 15 to 20mph winds can be blamed for any turbulent flying .
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
As for the vibes, I got one of these Feiyu Shock Absorbing mount today in a hope that it will resolve this issue for once and for all. When I have it tested, I'll post results here.

Mount can be found at: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/feiyu-shoc...unt-p-453.html
czorzella is online now Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czorzella View Post
As for the vibes, I got one of these Feiyu Shock Absorbing mount today in a hope that it will resolve this issue for once and for all. When I have it tested, I'll post results here.

Mount can be found at: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/feiyu-shoc...unt-p-453.html
I am interested in how it works for you...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:40 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Congrats Cat! Where was that vid taken?... I was out yesterday, and managed to get a chopping, jumpy image recorded... Right here in Algonquin Park Area!
Capture(3).mpg (4 min 41 sec)
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Last edited by simplyfly; Apr 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:48 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
here is a few stills from the day...
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly