HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
you can't spot Sh*t using an fpv camera that is a fact. you can't see an airplane like a human eye... sorry man not a chance... and it would be way too late if you did, plus judging the distance and trajectory... no way.

Not being a jerk here just saying.... try finding something on the ground next time you fly.... impossible... if you were in the airplane using your eyes you can see farther, and judge distance...

anyway it's awesome that you fly safe... I think out of LOS is OK so long as you are faaaaaaaaaar from airports.... and you are.

oh and 5.0miles from an airport is law.. just try flying close enough to an international airport (unless at a santioned airfield)...they have equipment that will see you, even checks for frequency violations.... and they will come get you... and they will take your stuff and you will go to jail...

you can check transport canada's website for this info and the FAA has similar if not more strick rules.

Steve

[QUOTE=NorCalMatCat;21312745]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Luckily I am 290 miles from the nearest airport even capable of a larger aircraft. All of the local airports support nothing but Cessnas and pipers :P.

I think restricting to VLOS is silly, I think the AMA approach to FPV is silly, and no safety is really going to come out of it. The human head has 270 degree field of rotation, a servo can have 360, I see no reason why pan and tilt camera systems are not just as safe or safer then even a person sitting in the plane looking around.

The only rule I ever see FPV flyers break is using frequencies illegally, the flying itself is not. There are suggested limits such as 400 feet if within 5 miles of an airport, however it's not a LAW, its a recommendation.

In a few more months when the FAA releases it's wording on what it is putting forth then we will know what really is law or not.

Just as a side note, everything I say is based on US rules and regulations, other countries can be very different :P
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:02 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
heading lock worked so well I was blown away.... seriously awesome... however becuase it holds such a tight line you will see very small corrections constantly but that is what you get if you want an accurate heading lock....

they sent me the new 2D gcs and aeromodelers but it's not working... my guess is that is top priority along with some other problems I have found with the Panda system.

I would say in a week. I love heading hold so much I will likely not bother with the 8 waypoints

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wep View Post
Wow, that is really really great!

THIS is a very good help when flying with headtracker.
This function and a headtracker makes is all a lot safer too since you can really look around more.

Did they mention when they will release the new GCS?
Soon is so....... subjective. :-)

Sunday I will also test it all myself
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
oh and as for the new gcs, I loaded it up and it works.. I am not sure why but sometimes when I connect the modem on any version of the gcs it crashes the program.

I simply unplug the modem form the usb port, re-boot the gcs and start over... somtimes it takes two tries but then all is good again and it does not crash during flight once running properly.

so I am back on the latest version of the GCS mostly becuase I need it to set up my Panda's physical orientation.

Steve
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:43 PM
wep
https://vimeo.com/wep800
Joined Dec 2006
220 Posts
new GCS

http://www.feiyu-tech.com/download-e...d=56&nav_num=6
wep is offline Find More Posts by wep
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:35 PM
wep
https://vimeo.com/wep800
Joined Dec 2006
220 Posts
Quote:
oh and as for the new gcs, I loaded it up and it works.. I am not sure why but sometimes when I connect the modem on any version of the gcs it crashes the program.

I simply unplug the modem form the usb port, re-boot the gcs and start over... somtimes it takes two tries but then all is good again and it does not crash during flight once running properly.

so I am back on the latest version of the GCS mostly becuase I need it to set up my Panda's physical orientation.

Steve

Grrrr.....

I can't start the new GCS
On both my Windows7 laptop en XP-laptop I get error:

run-time error '5'
Invalid Procedure call or argument.

and you have it working?
wep is offline Find More Posts by wep
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:39 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Grrrr.....

run-time error '5'

and you have it working?
I am getting the same problem
NorCalMatCat is online now Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:36 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
ok some mis-communication there.. the new standard GCS is working fine for me but the new 2D GCS is not... I was not clear it seems.

I told them last night at 1:30am while working on the panda system

they are working on it.

that new gcs 3.0 is what they call the 2D gcs which means it will work offline... but it's actually their old gcs... it's ugly as heck but if it works then I am happy.

btw I have had good sucess opening the area in the standard gcs while connected to the internet at home... then turn off the computer WITHOUT starting google earth... and when I got to the field I wait until I get a GPS lock then fire up the gcs... then it brings me to my area and I have a map...

Steve
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:43 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
I really don't understand why anybody would like to get more range further than line
of sight unless you are a cattle farmer that owns a hundred square miles of land
and you want to keep an eye on your cattle.
A UAV or FPV pilot should always be able to take over complete control of there
plane. Anybody totally relying on a data modem to control there plane must be on a death wish. A 2 pound RC airplane will go right through the windshield of a Cessna 172 airplane. Causing damage to the plane could give send you to prison. I anybody gets killed then the RC pilot will be charged with manslaughter.
I think its just a matter of time before a hobbyist UAV or FPV flyer will kill somebody . One of the 2 articles below is about a small RQ-7 Shadow UAV hit the wing of a C130 cargo plane and all the damage it does.

http://defensetech.org/2011/08/17/mi...130-and-a-uav/

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blog/s...ource=activity

Here is the thing, I do own a very large property, and much of it remains a mystery to me. In fact, given the number of trees and elevation changes, I wouldn't have to fly very far to lose LOS. I agree, FPV UAV flight in populated areas can pose certain risks, more likely to crash into road traffic than another aircraft... It seems unreasonable to me that it would be possible to fly right into another aircraft, it is not very often I fly over a few hundred feet, no where near the altitude of a cessna... Not by a long shot. In my case, there isn't an airport for large craft for many hundreds of miles. Some small heli's and other cessna like planes do fly in the area, and I have even seen a catamaran land on the lake at the end of my road. It would be near impossible to even try and hit another craft, and that would be assuming they couldn't see the models and avert.
If a Cessna was hit by my craft, it would be because they were negligent, and flying way too low... Either way, I believe flying out of LOS in no mans land is fine, and as for the other types of infractions, like amplified Tx signals, and other frequency issues... well I would think that the FCC, CRTC or whoever has real issues to worry about, and I very much doubt than any RC FPV'er will ever be charged unless going out of their way to be negligent, or ignorant or unlawful.

In populated areas, where UAV flights may cross major roads or residential areas, I think some stiffer regulations could be useful, but pointless should said operator choose to ignore them. Keeping in mind that certain things are deemed illegal, and are also quite common, like a certain herb many of us enjoy from time to time....
Oh, and in the case of this UAV hitting the C-130... one can only remark on the level of military incompetence... it is likely that neither of the aircraft should have been where they were at the time of the collision... absolutely nothing to do with this hobby, so lets just talk about the performance characteristics of the feiyu system this thread is about...
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Last edited by simplyfly; Apr 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
Here is the thing, I do own a very large property, and much of it remains a mystery to me. In fact, given the number of trees and elevation changes, I wouldn't have to fly very far to lose LOS. I agree, FPV UAV flight in populated areas can pose certain risks, more likely to crash into road traffic than another aircraft... It seems unreasonable to me that it would be possible to fly right into another aircraft, it is not very often I fly over a few hundred feet, no where near the altitude of a cessna... Not by a long shot. In my case, there isn't an airport for large craft for many hundreds of miles. Some small heli's and other cessna like planes do fly in the area, and I have even seen a catamaran land on the lake at the end of my road. It would be near impossible to even try and hit another craft, and that would be assuming they couldn't see the models and avert.
If a Cessna was hit by my craft, it would be because they were negligent, and flying way too low... Either way, I believe flying out of LOS in no mans land is fine, and as for the other types of infractions, like amplified Tx signals, and other frequency issues... well I would think that the FCC, CRTC or whoever has real issues to worry about, and I very much doubt than any RC FPV'er will ever be charged unless going out of their way to be negligent, or ignorant or unlawful.

In populated areas, where UAV flights may cross major roads or residential areas, I think some stiffer regulations could be useful, but pointless should said operator choose to ignore them. Keeping in mind that certain things are deemed illegal, and are also quite common, like a certain herb many of us enjoy from time to time....
Sounds a lot like my area :P Though to be honest a lot of pilots of smaller aircraft will fly quite low, I have seen many times aircraft of both wing and heli type fly well under 400 feet in my area, even while I was flying FPV I have had aircraft come very close, BUT I stay under half mile range, which I can hear a plane from much farther away then 1/2 mile, and I am sure to know my surroundings and exactly where my plane is, when I see a real one I look LOS at it, look at it's trajectory, its speed, its altitude, and calculate where my plane is relative, only once did I ever feel I should move out of the way, and even then that plane was probably 500 feet higher then I was.

You are also right about the FCC if you live in a rural area, however in heavily populated areas the FCC can be fast to come down on someone using a lot more power then they should be, as well as illegal use of ham bands because hammers DO NOT TOLERATE people using those bands illegally and will report you on a dime, but again this is much more rare in a rural setting, but again if you have any hammers in your area and you step on them they will be fast to report you.

I am going to fly FPV without worrying about politics plain and simple. Currently there are NO LAWS on flying a plane FPV in the US, so if I want to go 20 miles away or up to 12,000 feet altitude then I shall, and I will do so as safely as I can.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:28 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
All one has to do is to google search "FPV car casing or police helicopter chasing or high altitide flying YOUTUBE " and you will see allot of crazy and daring videos
I have presented a couple of examples.
FPV rc plane night flight police helicopter chase (3 min 24 sec)

WORLD'S 2ND BEST FPV FLIGHT!!! Skyscraper Multistory Building Tower Antenna Plane Near Crash FPV RC (5 min 1 sec)

Here in Canada an FPV pilot has to have there amateurs radio licence in order to be able use telemetry equipment on there FPV. The following website has a practice examination and if you can get over 80% than you should go and get your ham radio licence.If you don't pass ,then you'd better stick to flee powered telemetry.
http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/study.jsp
I can't believe the high powered telemetry and RF booster systems that are on the market. They are cheap and they probably kick out allot of RF noise.
And what about this Remote Adapter system for the FY-31, where the radio receiver is connected to the ground station and the plane only has a data modem.
How does the failsafe kick in when you loose signal. I asked this question on this thread a few days ago with no reply and I can't find anything about it in the manual. My guess is that the Remote adapter unit in the plane senses data errors and then puts the plane in a RTL mode.
If you are flying low , then your radio range isn't going to be that great.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
All one has to do is to google search "FPV car casing or police helicopter chasing or high altitide flying YOUTUBE " and you will see allot of crazy and daring videos
I have presented a couple of examples. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nifuuM9oltU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erkh9...eature=related
Here in Canada an FPV pilot has to have there amateurs radio licence in order to be able use telemetry equipment on there FPV. The following website has a practice examination and if you can get over 80% than you should go and get your ham radio licence.If you don't pass ,then you'd better stick to flee powered telemetry.
http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/study.jsp
I can't believe the high powered telemetry and RF booster systems that are on the market. They are cheap and they probably kick out allot of RF noise.
And what about this Remote Adapter system for the FY-31, where the radio receiver is connected to the ground station and the plane only has a data modem.
How does the failsafe kick in when you loose signal. I asked this question on this thread a few days ago with no reply and I can't find anything about it in the manual. My guess is that the Remote adapter unit in the plane senses data errors and then puts the plane in a RTL mode.
If you are flying low , then your radio range isn't going to be that great.
The first video I have seen before and they never actually got in trouble! The helicopter thought it was another REAL aircraft flying in a space it should not have been, once they realized it was just an RC they told them to be aware and left. I have to see the second video I don't know much about it :P.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
the data modem is a two way connection if the modem loses coms with the GCS after 10 seconds it will return home. The range of a good 900mhz modem is far greater thn that of any 2.4 system especially when flying low.

however you should alwyas have RC as back up IMHO

Steve
ps people have to start being responsible wiht this eqiupment... the people who do this are questionable at best and will ruin it for all of us soon.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:57 PM
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
882 Posts
Hi,
I have some xbee pro 900mhz modules from an old build. Did you have to do anything special to connect them to the ftech 31ap or just follow their datalink manual?
Had a bout 20 flights now and although I don't use ABM or RTL much, I have had to use it twice and just love having it there.
Haven't tried gcs yet but may have a go on the weekend
damoz is offline Find More Posts by damoz
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:01 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
the data modem is a two way connection if the modem loses coms with the GCS after 10 seconds it will return home.
That is good to hear.

Thanks for the info, Steve
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Sep 2010
677 Posts
Quote:
Grrrr.....

run-time error '5'

and you have it working?
same error here... i am unable to start the new GCS3.0 I have sent the log to feiyutech... they said that they will revert in a day or so... i have even sent them the screenshots... they are working on it on prioirty is what I am told.
aeromodellers is online now Find More Posts by aeromodellers