HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:36 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMRfly View Post
ok, so quick question... why is the fy31 combo $288 when the FY21 combo is still $388. is it because it is beta? its got me a little suspicious... (i'm a 21 fan and i reckon its rock solid)

///////////////////////////////////////
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Last edited by simplyfly; Jan 31, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
Here is a current price list...
yup, but they are still selling fy21ap/117 combo at $338? so i still dont get it.. why is fy21ap/117 still costing 338 when new combo is a lot cheaper? makes me think they are selling the new version cheaper because it is beta and has bugs??
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:22 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
478 Posts
??? Ok. Maybe. Perhaps they have ramped up production, or received so much money from the FY21 that they can afford to sell it less... who knows...either way, they are providing this equipment at a very reasonable price, and we should see how well they work first, I am still waiting...
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
yeah same here. 21 is rock solid, so i am hoping 31 will be the same ;-)
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:58 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,617 Posts
I'm flying my FY31AP with an extended nose Skywalker, and its been a blast!!

I'm using it with the AP117 OSD (took out from another plane), Thomas LRS, stock FY606 2.4 Ghz Data Radio, and latest GCS downloaded from here:

http://shop.fyetech.com/product_info...products_id=83

Everything works as it should. GCS is easy to understand and works perfectly (unlike their earlier versions!!).
I haven't tested the 8 Waypoints yet, but hopefully will by tomorrow.

One thing that you'll need to get used to is that the FY31AP will take over throttle control when RTH and auto circling (ACM) is activated. The system will throttle up to something higher than my 'normal' cruising speed.
All good I suppose (to prevent stall).

Cheers,

BB
borneobear is online now Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
All fixed..

Thanks lbarreiro,

I simply had the date tx/rx wires crossed over going from the 31AP to the Hornet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbarreiro View Post
For "rx" I meant "Radio"
fpvtestpilot is offline Find More Posts by fpvtestpilot
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:50 PM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Jul 2006
110 Posts
Hi all. I have been following this thread from the start and have finally got my hornet and 31AP all working now.

A few things to note. The 2 are sold together however the instructions are very separate and the references to each other are quite unclear. There should be another sheet that shows the connection process (this is where everyone is nervous) and fair enough too. We are given bare ends and sparse notes with very sensitive, expensive pieces of gear and one bad mistake and out comes the magic smoke!!

If you have a look on the website re the AP117, the picture they show so clearly what to do and what goes where.

Anyway, I have pictures, osd, gps etc. All finished ready to install into the plane.

Will let you know how it goes in the next few weeks. It will be replacing a FY30A which has been amazing as an intro to these devices.

Mike.
miksterr is offline Find More Posts by miksterr
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:13 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,983 Posts
I have my first warning to all using this system... I used it in kinda cold weather -12 or so... but it was taken from my house which is +20 deg or so....

it behaved quite poorly and a few times I had to take manual control and bring the plane back.

I am hoping that if I do a gyro initialization at the field this can be corrected.

Be warned however! and yet another reason to always have RC control AND data modem control... if I had no onboard receiver I would have lost my plane.

Steve
ps I hope to test this again possibly tomorrow.... I will install the jumper in the field. If it works I will put a switch on the plane so I can re-init the gyro anytime I want.

also note that up till today everything was working very well and I assume it is the cold temps.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:27 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,617 Posts
Hey Steve,

I checked before and the hardware they use is rated for -20 degrees. So going to -12 is probably very near to the working limit of the system (confirmed by your experience).

The shock jump from +20 to -12 will probably do any gyro in.

Anyway, regardless the temperature and weather, we should ALWAYS be 3 steps ahead of what to do if anything goes wrong. Thats the only way we can bring a plane back home safely, this time and every time.

NEVER take the option of not having a RC receiver on board!

BB
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:34 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,983 Posts
likely as well when I climbed 50m or so the temp dropped down a bit more...

at any rate it is strange because these are the same gyro's etc used on the 30A and 91Q these I have taken from +20 degc to -30 deg immediatley from the house to the garage and had no issue at all with them....

it's quite strange to be honest...

more testing.

Steve
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:08 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
478 Posts
That's very interesting. I plan on using this throughout the winter. Initializing the Gyro while in flight.. very good idea Steve. The temperature sensitivity of the gyro is a concern. I regularly fly in sub -10c. I suppose, if the tolerance of the sensor was subjected to some moisture from condensation, it could deviate more than normal. I wonder if the cabin started to heat up while the plane was in use...

Long range Rx redundancy could become a serious issue while operating a +2km range. I have thought about this, it begins to beg the question, perhaps a short wave operators license is in order, along with some UHF equipment...

I'd like to learn more about this aspect of radio control. I have wondered when someone like Futaba would start to produce longer range systems out of the box. The reply was that it would require a radio operator license. Not a bad idea really.

The FY602 data modem and Rx could be backed up, I suppose by a long range UHF system, or whatever... even a cell/wifi stick with on board mini computer... so we can consistently bring that ship home, in control.

I'd be really interested to hear what other pilots are doing in order to provide Rx redundancy in the +2km range.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:23 AM
Austria
Joined Apr 2011
70 Posts
When i "stress test" the FY31AP Gyro on the ground so that the red Led stay solid, the FY31AP stops completely working and stops all signals and the power for the RC Transmitter. So when the gyro have in flight to much vibrations the plane is lost, because the RC Transmitter is useless ???? Is that normal ??? Normal it should switch to "manual mode" ??? can anyone test this because this is scary to me !

Greets
schmiernippel is online now Find More Posts by schmiernippel
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:44 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,617 Posts
Far as I know, when the vibration gets too high, auto stabilization stops working and control is 100% manual.

I've seen this happen on the FY21AP (turning G force too great resulting in stabilization failure), control is transferred 100% back to the pilot. I don't see any reason why the 31AP would be any different.

If your 'stress test' means hand shaking the hell out of the module, shake it together with the RC Receiver.

BB
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:19 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiernippel View Post
When i "stress test" the FY31AP Gyro on the ground so that the red Led stay solid, the FY31AP stops completely working and stops all signals and the power for the RC Transmitter. So when the gyro have in flight to much vibrations the plane is lost, because the RC Transmitter is useless ???? Is that normal ??? Normal it should switch to "manual mode" ??? can anyone test this because this is scary to me !

Greets
I have had a similar experience while using the FY30A. According to the manual, the system should revert to the default manual mode. In my case, using the 30A in stabilize mode, vibrations would case the system to stop sending control to the servos, my Rx also wasn't responding. Also, I think that the RX power going out is strange. How do you have it connected?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,983 Posts
to clarify you can't initialize the gyro "inflight" only before the flight.

Steve