https://vimeo.com/wep800
Joined Dec 2006
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksterr View Post
Firmware update..

Just a heads up, there is a new firmware version, 1.20 marked as "important"

Dear User,
Feiyu product FY-31AP firmware has been upgraded to version 1.20.
The updatings are following:
1.under some special circumstance ,the aircraft may be shut down. This firmware will solve this problem;
2.Increase Fixed–Altitude Flight Mode and Fixed-Heading Flight Mode;
3.Improve the communication frequency configuration in the connection of half-duplex radio;
4.Change the default target speed to 64.8Km/h;
5.Increase the self-checking function of gyro, accelerometer and Input/output port.

This firware is so important, please download to update.

http://www.feiyu-tech.com/news-en.php?id=20&nav_num=4

Mike.

I am surprised that nobody is asking about nr2 .....

2.Increase Fixed–Altitude Flight Mode and Fixed-Heading Flight Mode??

What does increase mean here? Or do they mean: introduce?

is it now possible to maitain altitude in stab-mode? And maintain the heading?
(stick release is alt and hdg hold)

This is exactly what i miss on the FY31AP... especially the Alt-hold like on the 21AP.
wep is offline Find More Posts by wep
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:58 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Bah I seem to be loosing the vib war here.. I am thinking I need to get the actual vibration dampening tray... anyone have a link to it I cant find it?
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:36 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Yes it really is a challenge because the gyros are using a vibrating structure Coriolis effect that is very sensitive to external vibrations.
There is an RC Groups article on how gyros works that is worth checking out.
Check foxtechfpv for cushioning stuff or if you know a drummer , they use a gel pad for dampening . I know it's a real drag dealing with these cheap gyros.
larry baraniuk is online now Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:43 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
401 Posts
I have just been out for my first flights in an X8 wing and tested out the FY31 functions

The auto-circle mode seems to work well. Maintains altitude and circles roughly about the spot where the mode was activated.

The RTL mode had some issues. When i was flying out there was a strong cross-wind blowing. To get the plane flying flatish i had entered a lot of left-trim to the elevons. After activating RTL about 2.5kms away the plane turned around, but then kept turning past the home direction and maintained a steep bank. I noticed if i gave it some stick the plane would still respond. So what I think was happening was all the left trim I had entered was semi-overriding the RTL and causing the plane to keep turning!

This could be a real problem if i lose the video feed and assume the plane is coming back, it would have entered a death spiral. I think I would have been better off turning my transmitter off so that the trims were zeroed to the failsafe position. However, after centering the trims the plane was still trying to turn in the wrong direction though so i'm not sure what was going on. Switching back to ABM mode bought everything right again. *shrug*
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:45 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt View Post
I have just been out for my first flights in an X8 wing and tested out the FY31 functions

The auto-circle mode seems to work well. Maintains altitude and circles roughly about the spot where the mode was activated.

The RTL mode had some issues. When i was flying out there was a strong cross-wind blowing. To get the plane flying flatish i had entered a lot of left-trim to the elevons. After activating RTL about 2.5kms away the plane turned around, but then kept turning past the home direction and maintained a steep bank. I noticed if i gave it some stick the plane would still respond. So what I think was happening was all the left trim I had entered was semi-overriding the RTL and causing the plane to keep turning!

This could be a real problem if i lose the video feed and assume the plane is coming back, it would have entered a death spiral. I think I would have been better off turning my transmitter off so that the trims were zeroed to the failsafe position. However, after centering the trims the plane was still trying to turn in the wrong direction though so i'm not sure what was going on. Switching back to ABM mode bought everything right again. *shrug*
I noticed this problem as well, I just physically trimmed out my plane to fly with no radio trims. Technically the gyros should be countering the force of any wind for you...
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:19 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
401 Posts
They should have, I agree. The wind was very strong (30+knots) and the plane was wandering about quite a bit in ABM mode. Gains are at the factory position for now. Perhaps the gains were too low for the wind or the rate of movement was below the limit which the stabiliser has effect. Also the wandering was yaw movement, and there is no way to counter that on this plane...

Maybe when it switches into RTL mode it memorises the servo positions and assumes they are centred or something like that. Any subsequent changes to servo position would then mess with it. Although ive noticed in RTL mode when sitting on the ground the servos move more and more to effect turning when the fy31 doesnt appear to be getting a response from the plane.

More testing required. Will try centering the trims next time and if it still plays up, switching in and out of RTL mode to see if anything strange is 'memorised'.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:39 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
They should have, I agree. The wind was very strong (30+knots) and the plane was wandering about quite a bit in ABM mode. Gains are at the factory position for now. Perhaps the gains were too low for the wind or the rate of movement was below the limit which the stabiliser has effect. Also the wandering was yaw movement, and there is no way to counter that on this plane...

Maybe when it switches into RTL mode it memorises the servo positions and assumes they are centred or something like that. Any subsequent changes to servo position would then mess with it. Although ive noticed in RTL mode when sitting on the ground the servos move more and more to effect turning when the fy31 doesnt appear to be getting a response from the plane.

More testing required. Will try centering the trims next time and if it still plays up, switching in and out of RTL mode to see if anything strange is 'memorised'.
Over the years (more than I care to remember) I have noticed that any trimming/setup attempted on a windy and or turbulent day is for the most part a waste of time. Wait for a calm day and get it trimmed out MECHANICALLY. In other words, fly and trim. Then land and adjust the control rod links to give the same control surface deflection you had with trims, except now you have re-centered the radio trims. Fly and repeat. Only after you have it flying straight and level with the radio trims centered do you start setting up the autopilot.

Just my 2 cents worth .

Later;

D.W
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:35 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
. Wait for a calm day and get it trimmed out MECHANICALLY. In other words, fly and trim. Then land and adjust the control rod links to give the same control surface deflection you had with trims, except now you have re-centered the radio trims. Fly and repeat. Only after you have it flying straight and level with the radio trims centered do you start setting up the autopilot

D.W
I totally agree with the above quote. Keep in mind that on turbulent days ,you are exposing your plane to allot of vibrations that give your gyros erroneous feedback that just destroys the whole feedback control sequence.
The Fy-31 AP is just a cheap toy autopilot system and don't expect too much from it. OK!
larry baraniuk is online now Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:34 AM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wep View Post

This is exactly what i miss on the FY31AP... especially the Alt-hold like on the 21AP.
I read that and assumed they were talking about fy21 firmware... anyone know?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:35 AM
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Mar 2012
39 Posts
Hi,

@biggles uk #565, @damoz #567, @larry baraniuk #569

with new download and unzip of upgrade or with crossing cable, sorry, no result

Many thanks for writing.

OK, my two FY31AP are working well in moment.
But I can make no upgrade if necessary.

You can see RTL and landing with FY31AP in video.
Model is EasyStar. Location Germany, nearby Friedrichshafen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ic7UIt4uQE8

At 3:40 is activated RTH.
At 5:44 is reached startpoint, model begins to circle.
At 6:50 model lands automatic.

What a pleasure, isn´t it?
autist is offline Find More Posts by autist
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:21 AM
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
895 Posts
Here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Bah I seem to be loosing the vib war here.. I am thinking I need to get the actual vibration dampening tray... anyone have a link to it I cant find it?
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/feiyu-shoc...unt-p-453.html

I got the cable working by trying a few different drivers. Was pretty easy once that was sorted. I am loving this thing. Did a 10km flight today, my furthest by far and to test hit RTL and waited and there it was. Has really boosted my confidence to push further away and I will now put my gopro on for better video. Cool.

Sorry about the video. Must stop using other peoples music and learn to play something myself!
damoz is offline Find More Posts by damoz
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autist View Post
Hi,

@biggles uk #565, @damoz #567, @larry baraniuk #569

with new download and unzip of upgrade or with crossing cable, sorry, no result

Many thanks for writing.

OK, my two FY31AP are working well in moment.
But I can make no upgrade if necessary.

You can see RTL and landing with FY31AP in video.
Model is EasyStar. Location Germany, nearby Friedrichshafen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ic7UIt4uQE8

At 3:40 is activated RTH.
At 5:44 is reached startpoint, model begins to circle.
At 6:50 model lands automatic.

What a pleasure, isn´t it?

Hello,

The auto-landing, isn't a feature from the FY-31A, so, at 3:41 the plane starts descending, when it reaches the 5:44 descents more and when it's doing it's circles, is always descending until it lands.
So we loses altitude until the touch down, right? This is not a auto-landing IMHO, also when it "lands" it's a 9 meters above the ground and not a 0 if it has a ultrasonic unit, another feature that the FY-31A doesn't have.
Don't take me wrong, I also have a FY-31A and I'm happy with it, for me is the best plug and fly unit with OSD and auto-pilot features around here, I just think that the expression "auto-landing" isn't the most correct one for this unit.

All the best,

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:06 AM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
401 Posts
Does anyone know what causes the Hornet OSD to not make it past the version screen or PAL/NTSC note?
I have a second one that just powered up, the video feed works, but i dont get into the OSD screen. It stays on the startup screens

at first i had the data cable to the fy31 backwards, but now it's good. does first time startup need a gps lock or something like that?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Sep 2010
709 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know what causes the Hornet OSD to not make it past the version screen or PAL/NTSC note?
I have a second one that just powered up, the video feed works, but i dont get into the OSD screen. It stays on the startup screens

at first i had the data cable to the fy31 backwards, but now it's good. does first time startup need a gps lock or something like that?
1.) Ensure you have the OSD display set to show all information... Better just remove the cable for switching modes. Default mode is Screen1 with all information displayed.

2.) Ensure that the "tx" pin on the 31AP (UART port) is connected to "Rx" pin on the OSD. Black is common ground.
aeromodellers is offline Find More Posts by aeromodellers
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:10 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
Ok here is what I requested from FY regarding this when the 31AP first came to me.

I wanted the be able to remove all waypoints from the AP
After the waypoints were removed and you do not load new ones I wanted NAV mode to be fixed altitude flying WITH heading hold
This way you can fly straight and level with no waypoints loaded in

I just loaded the new firmware last night but have not checked to see if this truely is what they have done.

If they did to what I requested then that's AWESOME!!

PS I have had major trouble with the USB prolific driver lately (worked befor now quit) I am using windows 7. I will provide a download link to a working driver for win 7 tonight when I get home.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wep View Post

saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg