SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:39 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thulufu View Post
I ve done exactly that, the mouse icon turns into a cross and that's it... nothing else happens.
Hrm, works for me not sure..

On a side note, I got out to do some flying today... stabilizer was somewhat working, but it was scarey! For some reason the second it's turned on it's like it wants to completely undo my trimming... I most certainly do need to adjust my elevator for better trim as I had to give nearly full down trim to fly level, the AP stabilizer seemed to want to nose it down at around 15 degrees, and roll the plane to the left at about 10 degrees, and flying in some pretty turbulent wind it did a good job of keeping the plane from bouncing around too much.

Also anyone know any software that can read the txt files the hornet OSD produces? I can use GCS and watch a replay but it doesn't give any data summary like fastest, highest, etc.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Ok I have trimmed out my elevator physically so it should fly straight with no radio trim, hopefully that will satisfy the AP and make it fly stable... On the ground when I switch on stab mode no control surfaces even blink an eye unless the plane is moving, so hopefully that equates up in the air too...
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Ok I am making progress!

I adjusted my elevator to where it should mechanically need no trim at all from radio, which it is close, but what it needs I can tweak the pushrod and get it perfect. However my first test flight the AP still caused it to want to go DOWN. I landed, looked at it and pondered, and realized how many wires and things are all up on it and probably all moving around in flight, plus the way I have it mounted seems to be pretty loose, I moved the mass of wires around and tried to isolate it as much as possible, and took off again. This time she actually stayed stable except for a noticeable desire to stay banked to the left about 10 to 15 degrees, which was kind of funny because it was maintaining altitude in that orientation and going straight... I am guessing it was using rudder to pull that off.

At either rate I call this a partial success, so now my next move is to tweak that elevator rod, then see about making my AP mount in a way it will keep anything from touching it (encase it in a foam room ROFL), and make sure it stays more solid (padding it against the fuse to keep the entire assembly from moving).

Hopefully this will get her working right. It was also very turbulent winds again today, so getting the plane to actually go straight was a feet as it just wanted to crab through the air.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:16 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles uk View Post
Since loosing my plane I have been researching about spektrum recievers and I don't know how many of you know but it is definitely worth upgrading to the dsmx system rather than the old dsm2. The dsm2 only uses two parts of the 2.4ghz channel, it randomly chooses 2 sets of frequencies every time you switch on. Sometimes the two parts can be quite close to one another, if this happens and you do come across any interference there is a danger that the interference could cover both the frequencies your tx and rx are using and then you will experience a brown out.
The Dsmx system uses nearly all of the 2.4ghz channel by hopping from one frequency to the another, so even if there is interference in part of the channel it won't matter because it can use the rest of it.
So it won't matter how much range you have if you end up having your signal masked by interference
Could you let me know where you got this information from.
So far what I've found is that the advantage of the dsmx technology is that you'renot going to have interference problems at an airfield that has a lot
of 2.4 GHz radios ( like over 30 or so).
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:54 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I dont know what to do, I cant get the elev and rudd trim pots to turn and they are reversed
Sorry to be a terminoligy nazi here but the Pots on
the FY31- AP are not trim controllers.
They are P.I.D (Proportional ,Integrator, Derivative) adjusters .
Although ,the pots only adjust the proportional part.
They really have nothing to do with trim.
Maybe this has already been pointed out and my apologies if so.
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Apr 09, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
Sorry to be a terminoligy nazi here but the Pots on
the FY31- AP are not trim controllers.
They are P.I.D (Proportional ,Integrator, Differentiator) adjusters .
They really have nothing to do with trim.
Maybe this has already been pointed out and my apologies if so.
Yeah I know they aren't trim

Though I am curious, the PID settings on GCS... does anyone have a good explanation?
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:55 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Yeah I know they aren't trim

Though I am curious, the PID settings on GCS... does anyone have a good explanation?
Don't go there
Unless you are looking for trouble.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
Don't go there
Unless you are looking for trouble.
???
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:21 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,091 Posts
You don't have th waypoint editing tab selected watch my gcs video

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulufu View Post
I ve done exactly that, the mouse icon turns into a cross and that's it... nothing else happens.
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Woo close!!! I just got done building a little housing to protect the AP, and went out for one more test before darkness struck. I got up in the air, and on the second attempt to stabilize she flew nice and straight, I flew around for a minute, turned it off, landed, then tried to flip the stab programming switch in place but it wasn't happening, so I had to pull it out to flip it, then put it back in, and up in the air I went... and low and behold she slightly nosed down, but just SLIGHTLY, I think the angle it's at now must be slightly different then before I flipped that switch... At either rate it was acceptable for testing, so I tried loiter mode... and it WORKED, she nosed down slightly at first but then just did a rather large circle, holding it's altitude fine. I then flew about 200 meters away and flipped on rth, she kept altitude just fine, did a rather sharp U-Turn, and flew right to me, got to where I took off and started doing a figure 8.

So I am confident a little fiddling with what it's attached to and it will fly just fine .

What a thrill to watch it just circle on it's own, I can't wait to get it ironed out and flying right every time so I can finally do some FPV, I will totally utilize the loiter mode for good camera panning opportunities
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Forgot to attach pics
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:14 AM
Estonia
Joined Mar 2010
60 Posts
thanks

It works, it works !!!
I didnt set the launch point, that was the problem, figured that out thanks to the video, after that adding the waypoints was a piece of cake. Upload worked as well as download, same coordinates came out of the box. Will try out the triangle cruise as soon as it stops snowing.
Thanks for your help.
Just one more question: Does the AP117 work fine with the FY31-AP?
thulufu is offline Find More Posts by thulufu
Old Apr 07, 2012, 04:57 AM
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
902 Posts
Hi Guys,
Quick thank you for this thread. Got mine up and going easily with the Hornet thanks to all the information on here.
I had the OSD - 31ap connector wire reversed which took and hour or so to work out. How to power the OSD and 12v vTx and that the TX would power the Hornet. I had cycled the Hornet view to off and thought I had missed a wire but only the needed the switch clicked once more.
RTL and Stabilised worked out of the box although the track home is not direct and wondering is the PID or such can be tuned?
Haven't been able to get the USB TTL driver to work yet so haven't updated the firmware or waypoint 'missions' but the perfect 'easy' step up from the Ardupilot Mega, and osd draws much less from the Vid battery than my Remzibi.

Thank you for the info on this thread
damoz is offline Find More Posts by damoz
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I am really becoming disheartened by this AP... I adjusted all my trims so that she flies perfectly straight with no radio trim... This morning I went out and flew for an hour, every single time I would take it up to adjust the stab I would get it to fly level, land, flip the switch to take stab programming off, go back up, and it would act unpredictable. I spent an hour straight just taking off, trying it out, landing, taking off, reporgramming it, landing. What I noticed is this: First time I try to stabilize it, it either wants to nose down or nose up, and generally roll left, usually second attempt to program it it will fly nice and level, or a slight roll to the left. On landing I would disable the switch for stab programming, take back off, and on flipping on stab she either dives down or up, and wants to persistently stay a little to the left.

I also experimented with RTH and circling. Often just after programming the stab it would do both quite well, however I noticed on RTH it would do a figure 8, then on the last turn of the 8 it seemed to want to just keep on going straight, I didn't let it keep going to find out. I also noticed that it only works the first time and sometimes the second time I turn either on, after that it acts unpredictable.

I checked it's physical mounting and it's firmly in place... I feel like that is $200 I just threw away...
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:17 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damoz View Post
Hi Guys,
Quick thank you for this thread. Got mine up and going easily with the Hornet thanks to all the information on here.
I had the OSD - 31ap connector wire reversed which took and hour or so to work out. How to power the OSD and 12v vTx and that the TX would power the Hornet. I had cycled the Hornet view to off and thought I had missed a wire but only the needed the switch clicked once more.
RTL and Stabilised worked out of the box although the track home is not direct and wondering is the PID or such can be tuned?
Haven't been able to get the USB TTL driver to work yet so haven't updated the firmware or waypoint 'missions' but the perfect 'easy' step up from the Ardupilot Mega, and osd draws much less from the Vid battery than my Remzibi.

Thank you for the info on this thread
Good to hear.
Yes it still is a bit of mucking around , but not as bad as the Ardupilot Mega.
So is it the data in , data out wires that were crossed and does your wiring jive with the drawing
that I've attached.
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Apr 07, 2012 at 12:29 PM.