SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:06 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
larry you can send it to them and they will upgrade the firmware for free!!!

but you live in canada and when I did that they charged me 40$ for the UPS fees!!! crazy and pointless.. but if you live stateside it's a good thing.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:48 PM
BNUC-s
Joined Feb 2012
300 Posts
Since loosing my plane I have been researching about spektrum recievers and I don't know how many of you know but it is definitely worth upgrading to the dsmx system rather than the old dsm2. The dsm2 only uses two parts of the 2.4ghz channel, it randomly chooses 2 sets of frequencies every time you switch on. Sometimes the two parts can be quite close to one another, if this happens and you do come across any interference there is a danger that the interference could cover both the frequencies your tx and rx are using and then you will experience a brown out.
The Dsmx system uses nearly all of the 2.4ghz channel by hopping from one frequency to the another, so even if there is interference in part of the channel it won't matter because it can use the rest of it.
So it won't matter how much range you have if you end up having your signal masked by interference
biggles uk is offline Find More Posts by biggles uk
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:17 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
sounds similar to the futaba FASST and that system is far better than spektrum. I'd say yeah.. upgrade.

steve
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:44 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Ok question... I got my FY31AP installed and went to do a test flight today with everything off. I noticed however that even with all things off that it still was trying to stabilize, I tried to fly anyway which resulted in the plane quickly coming back down.

So I guess my question is what am I missing... all I was trying to do was a trim flight to get the plane itself in trim, then I was going to do stabilization record flight.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:04 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
sounds like channel 5 is not telling the AP to be in RC mode or you had channel 6 in RTL or circle mode which will override channel 5

do you have an osd? this way you can tell for sure you are in the correct mode. You can also tell your mode in the GCS if connected via usb or modem

I would not advise to fly unless you can make sure all modes are working 100% because you may have been in RTL mode and that would have equaled crash

Steve
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
sounds like channel 5 is not telling the AP to be in RC mode or you had channel 6 in RTL or circle mode which will override channel 5

do you have an osd? this way you can tell for sure you are in the correct mode. You can also tell your mode in the GCS if connected via usb or modem

I would not advise to fly unless you can make sure all modes are working 100% because you may have been in RTL mode and that would have equaled crash

Steve
I was basing my thoughts on the lights of the AP, the OSD is in there but not hooked up, I was just trying to trim out the plane and get it all setup and working. Now I have a nose to fix :P

I will figure it out tonight somehow, hopefully.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:33 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
yes, in manual it will not control the servo's at all... you definately need this mode to ensure you have your dials going the right direction etc as well.

keep us posted... we are here to help !!|
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:07 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
Looks like FY is at some model exibit for a few days.

I am trying to get their new GCS to work but it's not there yet... it looks like they may have added a live video window beside the map!! how cool would that be

Steve
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Curious, it states in the manual that you need to trim your plane via control linkages... will using trims throw off any of the AP functions? Cause that is going to be a PAIN to do if I have to trim it out perfectly via the hardware.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:20 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
it looks like they may have added a live video window beside the map!! how cool would that be

Steve
Yes, that would be very nice, especially if I attached a big LED flatscreen to my Laptop.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:34 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
trim mechanically as much as you can. i found that with severe radio trimming it did not fly as well.

when you are close then use the leveling function (dip switch 4)

then after that in flight you can set level too.

Lots of ways to do it and you know what? it flies pretty damn good out of trim too hahaa.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Curious, it states in the manual that you need to trim your plane via control linkages... will using trims throw off any of the AP functions? Cause that is going to be a PAIN to do if I have to trim it out perfectly via the hardware.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I dont know what to do, I cant get the elev and rudd trim pots to turn and they are reversed
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:29 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
? what? you can't get them to turn? they are stuck?

there is a tiny little arrow in the white part of the dial.. when pointing up that is like neutral. They turn left or right from there.

Steve
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
? what? you can't get them to turn? they are stuck?

there is a tiny little arrow in the white part of the dial.. when pointing up that is like neutral. They turn left or right from there.

Steve
Yeah they will not turn, aileron turned fine but elevator and rudder will not, now it appears both pots are stripped too, I found pointing the AP backwards got the elevator to respond properly but rudder is not, I don't know what to do...
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:53 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
either send it back or replace the pots yourself. It's pretty easy to do if you can solder.