Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:47 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
great stuff guys, as for anti virus Windows 7 on it' own does quit well at anti virus and does not cause issues with the GCS... so long are genearlly you are not doing silly things with your computer

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:18 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
That's why I bought a cheap laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromodellers View Post

My advice... if you want to run GCS, dont install any antivirus/antispyware softwre... this will compromise on system security, but i guess feiyutech has to release upgrades to address this issue. Till that time I am totally vulnerable....

Take this advice only at your own risk...
That's one of the reasons why I bought a cheap HP 2000 laptop for $425 and I use it only for the GCS software .In addition my new laptop can operate on the battery for more than 4 hours which is great for the field and also I have upgraded from Vista to Windows 7.
If a Trojan or virus gets in my new Laptop and mucks it up , then it's no big deal.
I can just wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall windows if things go extremely
bad.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Sep 2010
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
great stuff guys, as for anti virus Windows 7 on it' own does quit well at anti virus and does not cause issues with the GCS... so long are genearlly you are not doing silly things with your computer

Steve
I have a company provided laptop... Had a symantec corporate edition on it. Earlier it was working fine... But off lately it starting messing wid my gcs. So uninstalled it... Not sure if other antivirus programs behave the same way or different.... It did not allow me to intall rhe gcs... After removing the symantec everything is cool...
aeromodellers is offline Find More Posts by aeromodellers
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Sep 2010
677 Posts
Did nyone try upgrading to 1.20 wid my instructions? Just curious....
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:40 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
aero, that's the exact way I have always done it with all FY products and never had an issue...

but no sorry I have not done it yet. I will try and get it done tonight.

thanks for the point form list I will add a link to your post on page #1

steve
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Sep 2010
677 Posts
Thanks Steve. Appreciate that...

Cheers...
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:52 PM
BNUC-s
Joined Feb 2012
300 Posts
I run avast anti virus and haven't had a problem yet although I've only used it 3 times
biggles uk is offline Find More Posts by biggles uk
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
Firmware update question: I just received the FY31AP and read the note about firmware 1.20. Do I have to first apply the older firmware versions: 1.10 and 1.12 BEFORE updating with the latest 1.20 ? Or can I simply install 1.20?

Thanks,
Mike
uavrat is offline Find More Posts by uavrat
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
Aeromodellers - Sorry, another question. You say to disconnect the RED wire from the USB/TTL cable (I got from BEVRC) but the firmware PDF named: Firmware upgrade procedure.pdf - Step 7. does not say to disconnect. it says:

STEP 7: Plug the Serial connector to the controller module [-,+, UART] port.
Please ensure the polarity of your wires is correct. The RED wire is “+”. Wrongly connecting the polarity will damage your controller module.

Why disconnect?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:38 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
You should be able to go directly to 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by uavrat View Post
Firmware update question: I just received the FY31AP and read the note about firmware 1.20. Do I have to first apply the older firmware versions: 1.10 and 1.12 BEFORE updating with the latest 1.20 ? Or can I simply install 1.20?

Thanks,
Mike
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:39 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
Disconecting here ensures you don't overdraw the USB port for power

That being said I have done it both ways but aero is correct to be on the safe side you can disconnect this

Quote:
Aeromodellers - Sorry, another question. You say to disconnect the RED wire from the USB/TTL cable (I got from BEVRC) but the firmware PDF named: Firmware upgrade procedure.pdf - Step 7. does not say to disconnect. it says:

STEP 7: Plug the Serial connector to the controller module [-,+, UART] port.
Please ensure the polarity of your wires is correct. The RED wire is “+”. Wrongly connecting the polarity will damage your controller module.

Why disconnect?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
Thanks guys, appreciate the quick reply. I really don't want to fry something.

When is it OK to leave the red wire connected in the USB/TTL cable?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:33 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
usually you don't... it's all really just good practice in order to ensure you don't wreck your usb power supply
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:43 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles uk View Post
I run avast anti virus and haven't had a problem yet although I've only used it 3 times

I didn't have this problem when I was using my old Laptop running on Vista but when I switched over to my new Laptop running Windows 7 then all of a sudden it was "Set the dogs loose and get the chopper up " on Anti Virus threats and Trojan threats and having to shut it all down in order to get the GCS to work .
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Sep 2010
677 Posts
Quote:
When is it OK to leave the red wire connected in the USB/TTL cable?
If you do not have any servos or rc receiver plugged into the module, you may leave the red wire attached.

But life ain't that simple... Once you install the module, it is very irritating to remove all connections everytime just to upgrade the module, so it is advised to remove only the red wire from the usb cable and power the 31AP through BEC.

But like Steve said, it is a good practice to remove the red cable and power your module through a separate BEC for the safety of the USB port and the AP