HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:07 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
aero that's great! so sorry I did not do the test we talked about yet. I am flying this weekend and want to try some features like auto take off and click n fly etc.

glad you are here too!

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
1) wiring harnass:

so the wiring harnass you guys have may be different than mine because i never got a hornet osd... now I wish they sent me one so I could answer questions.

the data line from teh osd to the unit should be a femal by female plug, it should have two wires, one black and one white. The black goes to the ground pin. If you look in the manual it will tell you what pin is what.

Can you please post a picture of all your cables and how you have it setup? and maybe a pic of the osd?

2) powering the control unit

PLEASE PLEASE use an external BEC and connect it to your RX on a free channel. I have had too many problems with these units running onboard BEC from the ESC. External BEC's are cheap and reliable. Get one of at least 3.0 amps. If you are flying a larger plane get a 7-10 amp bec.

Not all BECS are created equal. I highly recommend the castle creations 10amp bec. Also if you are running digital servo's make sure you get a very powerful bec of 10amps becuause they draw a lot more current.

3) power for osd and video TX

You should use a 12v camera and 12v video TX. This can be powered with a 3S lipo connected to either the camera or the video TX. The power will then run through the OSD powering the osd and the out the other connection to power the video camera or video TX depending on your layout.

it's best to use a separate power supply for FY osd's as they are very senestive to noise (snow on the screen) if you want to use the same pack as your flight power pack then you need to clean up the power. I recommend using ad anyvolt micro from dimension engineering. it's a step up step down voltage regulator and you have to set the voltage via the screw. Set it to 11.5 and your video TX and camera will last much longer.

you mention that your video TX is 5.0v in this case you need to feed 12v to the osd and then drop that voltage feed to 5.0v at your video TX with something like a recom 5.0v regulator. it's easiest to just use a 12v camera and 12v video tx.

4) connection between osd and 31AP

you say it also has 5.0v? so this is different than my setup... can you please post a picture? I will also read your manual too.

when in doubt do not apply any power... I can skype with you if required too.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
Perhaps I am confused.. I see the connections that you have made... I am confused by the included wire harness provided by Feiyu... The cable that I believe connects the OSD to the FY31 has male pins....I can obviously rewire it, yet I wonder why the complication... can you elaborate steve, am I missing something?

To overview: FY31 receives power via receiver. If I am not using a BEC, then the power is delivered via CH.3, from the ESC directly into the FY-31.

The OSD, and Vid TX receive power via a separate 3s batt (in my set up) The Vid Tx 's 5V supply is bridged on the OSD... I am wondering if this s correct. It seems like this may be an additional source of power, that could damage the OSD, as it is also receiving power from the 3s supply... I am tempted not to connect the red pin...

The connection between the OSD and FY31 also seems to carry +5V? I am tempted to remove this pin as well.

I apologize if I seem overtly anal about these connections, it just isn't clear. The manuals provide detailed information, in a way that seems, to me, counter indicative...

Unfortunately for me, Feiyu is on Holidays with the rest of the country for the remainder of this month, so any additional help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:40 PM
I love to be above the clouds
Joined Aug 2011
326 Posts
fy gear has no antenna tracking system ? or does the gcs do that too?
KellyFPVER is offline Find More Posts by KellyFPVER
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:36 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
No, no tracker that I am aware of. I plan to mount the patch antenna to a post that extends above my head, attached to my backpack... when I want to track the antenna, I will just move my body... I have heard reports of trackers that end up looking at the ground...and I would rather spend the money on a better Vid. Tx...
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:54 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Here is a photo I took the other day. After reading and watching the Vid, I am sure it is wrong... The post you made is really helpful. I am faily certain I can get this connected properly now... The photo shows how far I got, and now can connect the OSD to the FY-31.. Here is how I plan to connect:

BEC connected to 3s 1000mAh, to the receiver.
Receiver connected to the FY-31 via supplied multi connector.
GPS connected to UART data input on FY31
Output to servos and ESC from FY-31
OSD power supplied by 1300mAh 3s. Power from the Vid Tx bypasses the OSD, only the vid in and out are connected. OSD switch is connected to ch. 8 from the Rx.
Current sensor is connected to the main battery, ESC and FY-31, lower row, below the GPS connections.

Let me know if this is good. I'll take another few shots in the morning, close up to show all the connections.

Hopefully at the end of this we will all know how it goes... Really looking forward to trying this system out!!!

Unfortunately I am still waiting for the data 602 (433mHz 600mW data modem) and will be for the next few weeks, when China goes back to work...

Thanks again for your help Steve, I hope there is a way I can return the favor in the near future....
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:40 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
ok simply, keep us posted and when its all set up post a new picture.... wait to add power untill you are 200% sure you have it right.

my payment is that we all fly! and fly safe!!!

Steve
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:46 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
BEC connected to 3s 1000mAh, to the receiver.

bec can get power from your main flight pack so you can save some weight.

Receiver connected to the FY-31 via supplied multi connector.

correct

GPS connected to UART data input on FY31

correct.

Output to servos and ESC from FY-31

correct
OSD power supplied by 1300mAh 3s. Power from the Vid Tx bypasses the OSD, only the vid in and out are connected. OSD switch is connected to ch. 8 from the Rx.

incorrect I believe.... my AP117 needs 12v on the video connection to function. I would imagine the hornet is the same. Plesae check your manual for those pins.... I need to find that manual.

Current sensor is connected to the main battery, ESC and FY-31, lower row, below the GPS connections.

yup sounds right

Let me know if this is good. I'll take another few shots in the morning, close up to show all the connections.

yes please do

Hopefully at the end of this we will all know how it goes... Really looking forward to trying this system out!!!

Unfortunately I am still waiting for the data 602 (433mHz 600mW data modem) and will be for the next few weeks, when China goes back to work...

unless you plan on flying with only the modem you can go fly, test the stabilzation, RTL and auto circle etc with what you have

Steve
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:47 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Here is a copy of the hornet manual...
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:00 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Unfortunately for me the A/V tX I have outputs 5V... so I will have to power the OSD from another source.... The Hornet has a set of pins, marked +12V / GND, then under them SW/+12V. My interprtation of this is:

Jump the +5V coming out of the Tx
Connect the +12V/GND to the 1300mAh supply
Connect the SW/GND to the Rx (ch.8)

The final connection, from OSD to FY-31 is as you said, black and white two wire connector to the lower set of terminal, directly below where the GPS connects. These terminals are marked GND/+/ UART.

That should do it... I'll snap a photo of this in a few hours when I can make it to the shop...
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:01 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Spoken like a true pilot... you have class my friend!... but I'd still like to buy ya a beer!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:50 AM
Austria
Joined Apr 2011
64 Posts
I also dont know how i connect the Hornet OSD to the FY31AP ??? With the black and white cable ??? And in which direction ???

greets
schmiernippel is offline Find More Posts by schmiernippel
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:20 PM
Norge, Rogaland, Bryne
Joined Oct 2011
339 Posts
Black is ground and white is signal. Black to te left side and white all to the right. You will find it in the manual.

I have just connected my FY31AP today with AP117 OSD. It works wery well.
Have set up all channels except Navigation mode. I have only 7ch radio.

I only used the manual for connecting everything, and it was easy.
Efti is online now Find More Posts by Efti
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:31 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Where I am now....

V in from camera Vid out to Tx. Power jumped? not connected to OSD.

Current Sensor connects main battery to OSD GND/+5V/AD1/AD2

RED/Black connect OSD GND/+12V to 1300mAh 3s

WHITE/BLACK connect OSD GND SW to the Rx (ch.*)

OSD connects to FY-31 GND/Rx to -/UART on FY31

It is possible that the OSD may require +12V to the video in/out, as these are bridged on the diagram. This I would think can be done by running a parallel connection from the +12V input (1300mAh 3s input)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:13 PM
Norge, Rogaland, Bryne
Joined Oct 2011
339 Posts
You only connect one 12V to supply OSD. Camera will be supplied with 12V from OSD.
Efti is online now Find More Posts by Efti
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
ok, so quick question... why is the fy31 combo $288 when the FY21 combo is still $388. is it because it is beta? its got me a little suspicious... (i'm a 21 fan and i reckon its rock solid)
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)