HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:13 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Are the Chinese spying on Fy31 Ap software users

I just recently bought a new Laptop to be used only for my Fy31 AP GCS (using windows 7) and the only way to run the FY31 software is to turn off my Norton antispy software
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:51 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,132 Posts
this is a bug they need to fix.. it seems to happen on all their hardware... I told them but it still keeps happening... the firmware you load IS the firmware onboard... the little revision description really could say anthing as it's just text.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariuszL View Post
hello everyone

Today I try upgrade my FY-31AP. Everythings go great with 100% sucessfull :]
But I have problem with one button in firmware upgrade software - Read the Version number.
Before upgrade with 1,20 - was 1,12 .. now (after upgrade ofcourse) when I check current version - is steel 1,12 - why ??
Anyone check this upgrade software function ?
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:02 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
506 Posts
Feiyu Tech GCS Problems.... In an attempt to test the data modems range, I have set up the plane without an Rx. The Rx is connected to the remote adapter, and it simply fails to relay any signal to the plane.

I have reinstalled the software, tried every port, and am running the system from a 5a BEC, not the USB power...

The GCS is not stable, on any of my machines. Yes the data modems connect, sometimes, and usually cause the mouse to jump all over the scree, and the GCS hangs...

In my attempt to get the data modem to relay the signal to the plane.. no way. Nothing. When I click on the RC data link button... nothing. It does not turn green, or relay any information to the plane.

frustrating...
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:30 AM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,132 Posts
mm yes frusterating for sure..

ok what modems are you using again please?

Honestly from what I have read and what I have been told 19200 is not fast enough to control a plane. I am not sure why Fy put so much effort into a feature like this. Even with a fast bad rate you will still have lag...

I know it's not the answer you want to hear but I would put the receiver back in the plane and extend your RC range via booster etc.

Sorry you are having trouble. I would love to help but I have never connected any FY products in this fasion because of my preference not to go that route.

As for GCS not being stable yes my older machine running XP was terrible at running the GCS.

Something you can try is to reduce the downlink rate to 2 or 3 hz (needs to be done every time the AP is powered up because default is not 10 I belive.

also reduce your uplink rate to 10hz

finally turn off all other running programs and preferably create a boot structure for your computer that loads only very basic programs (no antivirus, scanners, email etc etc. should be running)

good luck!

Steve
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:54 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
506 Posts
I am giving up on the data modems... I will just program the way points on the ground and save them in the FY-31. I have been using the new data 602... When connected to the plane the data modem causes a considerable gitter. The result is unnerving, and a great strain on the power system... all servos jumping back and forth constantly... Nope, I am done with this. I like the Fy-31, but the data modems are out. Any takers? Best offer?

Also, in the future I hope to see a linux version... just a gut feeling that the system would work better with a stripped down OS... windows is definitely not up to the task.... BTW I am using a very powerful and modern computer... 3.2gHz Quad, 16G mem, USB 3.... all i can say is LINUX please...
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:59 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
506 Posts
Seriously, I am offering the data modem 602 pair, with remote adapter and related wiring's to the first best offer...
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:01 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Failsafe Redundancy is a Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
Wow, losing a plane is hard... especially when there aren't even a bunch of pieces to pick up... My condolences, Biggles.

My question relates to the use of the data modems to extend RC range. i am currently using the stock Turnigy 9x, and am looking to extend the range, at least as far as my Vid Tx (range Video 600mW) Seeing as I have a 600mW data modem, it seems reasonable to try and use this device. I originally assumed that it would be as simple as using the remote adapter and the data modem...

I have tested the GCS system, using the Rx connected to the remote adapter and the data 602. I also have an identical Rx in the plane. I have tested the range of the stock 9x to about 1km. No problems. What I would like to arrange is that the data modem (relaying my Tx signal via) takes over control as soon as the plane goes out of range.

I am not sure if this is possible, and I would feel alot better about it if the data modem could be used to relay the signal without the computer...

For now I am planing on upgrading the 9x to Frsky module, and using a 1mW 2.4gHz amplifier... however, i would still like to figure a way to have the data modem work as a fail safe if the range of the Tx is broached.. any ideas or am i just cracked?
Using a high powered wireless modem is a bad idea for a failsafe in my opinion.
I really think that having an extra card up your sleeve for a failsafe is a great idea and it's something that all uav or fpv users should consider.
I would opt for a separate transmitter and receiver at a totally different frequency band and use a master /slave or pilot / copilot control chain of command with the
FY -31 or whatever autopilot being the slave or copilot.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:06 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
506 Posts
I fully agree...
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:01 AM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Jul 2006
113 Posts
Firmware update..

Just a heads up, there is a new firmware version, 1.20 marked as "important"

Dear User,
Feiyu product FY-31AP firmware has been upgraded to version 1.20.
The updatings are following:
1.under some special circumstance ,the aircraft may be shut down. This firmware will solve this problem;
2.Increase Fixed–Altitude Flight Mode and Fixed-Heading Flight Mode;
3.Improve the communication frequency configuration in the connection of half-duplex radio;
4.Change the default target speed to 64.8Km/h;
5.Increase the self-checking function of gyro, accelerometer and Input/output port.

This firware is so important, please download to update.

http://www.feiyu-tech.com/news-en.php?id=20&nav_num=4

Mike.
miksterr is offline Find More Posts by miksterr
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
I have been unable to get the Firmware update software to acknowledge the FY31AP. The USB TTL cable is set up on my PC and I am entering the correct port and 19,200 baud. I can open the port, but when I connect the FY31, I never see the "Connect Success" message. The GCS did, in fact, connect once and show my plane location on the map, but only once and I can not get it to connect to the FY31AP either. Using Win7 x64 and running everything as Administrator. I have tried various PL2303 drivers as well. Anyone have any suggestions? I have not been able to get any support from BEVRC. I have also contacted Feiyu directly and have a response, but communication is slow. Just thought I'd ask here.

Thanks-
daronj is offline Find More Posts by daronj
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:33 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
I bought a USB to TTL converter from BEVRC and it doesn`t work I checked out
the circuit board and it uses the Prolific PL2303 chip , I did a little bit of reverse engineering ,checked voltages ,reversed tx and rx connections but no luck.
Don`t supply power to your FY-31 from your USB to TTL converter and get rid of the TTL V+ going to the 4 pin connector that you connect to the FY-31. Supply 5 Volts to your FY-31 from your radio receiver , ESC or BEC
If you got your plane displayed on the GCS at your GPS co-ordinance then
it was working and I can also recommend reloading the GCS and Google Earth Plug-In.
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Apr 02, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:13 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,132 Posts
mm I will look at their specs.

I can't imagine why they wont work with you so it concerns me that there may be a probelem with them.

Steve
edit, whoa those are expensive... sorry I will stick with my xbee pro's

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
Seriously, I am offering the data modem 602 pair, with remote adapter and related wiring's to the first best offer...
Last edited by saabguyspg; Apr 02, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
731 Posts
Ok... Here is the trick that works for UPGRADES.... i did that myself yesterday with 100% success... Now my 31AP reads 1.20

Follow chronologically.

1.) Download the firmware upgrade rar file from the website.
2.) Login into ADMINISTRATOR in win 7
3.) Unzip all files into a folder on desktop
4.) Now plug the USB cable in the USB slot.
5.) Ensure you take the red wire OFF the connector. You dont want to power your 31AP with USB.
6.) Open the upgrade program and choose the correct port. (At this time the 31AP sould not be connected.)
7.) Click "Open Port". this should change the button to "Close port". This confirms that the port is now open.
8.) Disconnect any DATA MODEMS if you have installed. Servos and RC Rx can stay connected.
8.) Now connect the USB cable (without the red wire) to the 31AP on the UART port. 31AP should NOT be powered at this time.
9.) Now power the 31AP through a separate BEC. (you may have servos connected... doesnt matter...)
10. The moment you power on the 31AP, you will see "Connect Success" in the upgrade program.
11.) Upload the firmware as directed.
12.) Once you get the message "Firmware upgrade success" or something like that.... DO NOT DISCONNECT ANYTHING IMMEDIATELY.
13.) Wait for atleast a minute.
14.) Then switch off the power supply to 31AP first.
15.) Remove the usb cable from the AP.
16.) Close the port and remove the USB cable from the computer.
17.) Then recheck for version by following the same protocol from step 4.

Walla... you should have the new firmware....

Cheers !!!
aeromodellers is offline Find More Posts by aeromodellers
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:30 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
A Simple Master -Slave Failsafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
Using a high powered wireless modem is a bad idea for a failsafe in my opinion.
I really think that having an extra card up your sleeve for a failsafe is a great idea and it's something that all uav or fpv users should consider.
I would opt for a separate transmitter and receiver at a totally different frequency band and use a master /slave or pilot / copilot control chain of command with the
FY -31 or whatever autopilot being the slave or copilot.
Here is a simple Master-Slave using the Landing Gear channel of the Master radio to switch control from one radio to the other.
Anybody using a 2.4 GHZ spectrum radio or any other radio that involves Binding between the transmitter and receiver should seriously consider this setup because of the rebinding delay and uncertainty when the receiver looses signal.
If this is too much DIY for you ,then, too bad.
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Apr 03, 2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:38 AM
Joined Sep 2010
731 Posts
OK.. for the GCS errors... I was unable to re-install the GCS once I uninstalled it to fix a bug....

I figured that Symantec or Norton would not allow the Feiyutech.exe to be copied into the folder. They were suspecting it as a spyware or a virus....

Uninstalled symantec and now everything works good.

My advice... if you want to run GCS, dont install any antivirus/antispyware softwre... this will compromise on system security, but i guess feiyutech has to release upgrades to address this issue. Till that time I am totally vulnerable....

Take this advice only at your own risk...
aeromodellers is offline Find More Posts by aeromodellers