HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:45 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,062 Posts
wow talk about a postive attitude! I will take a lesson from you sir!

steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
BNUC-s
Joined Feb 2012
300 Posts
believe me I didn't feel very positive when it happened, in fact I had a right sulk on. But I'm not going to beat myself up too much about it, I think I was entitled to sulk a bit anyway the new fy31 has just arrived and I'm really looking forward to testing again, what an awesome bit of kit it is!
biggles uk is offline Find More Posts by biggles uk
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:29 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Welcome to the Rogue Drone Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles uk View Post
believe me I didn't feel very positive when it happened, in fact I had a right sulk on. But I'm not going to beat myself up too much about it, I think I was entitled to sulk a bit anyway the new fy31 has just arrived and I'm really looking forward to testing again, what an awesome bit of kit it is!
So your FPV went Rogue on you eah!
Don't give up on it. I haven't given up on mine and I lost mine almost a year ago.
From what I can guess , I lost control of my EasyStar because I didn't use a seperate BEC for my Ardupilot Mega.
Check out my thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499028
To sum it up :
-Your FPV landed nicely into a tree or bushes or on the ground
- Make-up some posters and post them on bulletin boards at gas stations and
grocery stores and give a copy to the police. That's what I did and I offered a
$100 reward.
- I also posted at a local bow hunting store during the hunting season.
In my case, my EasyStar drone headed for nothing but remote bush and farmland and I told some farmers to watch out for it during harvest time.
Even with all my efforts, I haven't succeeded in finding my EasyStar but now my
hobby has changed and now I've got myself involved with combining FPV with Aerial Photography.
With the next flying season coming up. I will be using the Fy 31 on my Skywalker and I have alot of bush areas and fence lines to check out in a large area that I have calculated as potential spots where my EasyStar ended up.
Even though my drone probably got eaten up by a combine harvesting machine
or a hunter found it and kept it. I still haven't given up on it.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:43 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
401 Posts
Has anyone opened up the hornet OSD? Given it can be powered from 6-13V it must have an internal 5V regulator. Would be nice to bypass it when using 5V cameras and vTx so it can be powered directly from a 5V reg thus a dedicated power source isnt required...
Opt is online now Find More Posts by Opt
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:59 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt View Post
Has anyone opened up the hornet OSD? Given it can be powered from 6-13V it must have an internal 5V regulator. Would be nice to bypass it when using 5V cameras and vTx so it can be powered directly from a 5V reg thus a dedicated power source isnt required...
Whatever voltage that you supply your Hornet with will go straight over to your camera. The Hornet doesn't have an internal voltage regulator so just use a
7805 5 voltage regulator between the hornet and the 5 volt camera (simple 3 pin device : pin 1 goes to Volts in,pin 2 goes to Ground & pin 3 is 5volts out)
https://www.google.ca/search?q=7805+...w=1024&bih=677
Keep in mind that the input of the regulator has to be more than 7.5 volts though
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Mar 29, 2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: added info
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:51 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
401 Posts
I dont have 12V on the plane (other than a lipo balance tap) and i'm trying to minimise the amount of components and not add more regulators. I have 5V and 14.8V on the plane, so want to know if i can power the hornet from 5V by modifing it. I'll crack it open and trace the circuit regardless but thought it would be useful to ask if anyone has already done so
Opt is online now Find More Posts by Opt
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:58 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,062 Posts
unless hornet is different than the other FY osd's this is not true, you need at least 11v to run all other FY osd's

this means inputting 12 on the 12v pin or the video input + pin.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
Whatever voltage that you supply your Hornet with will go straight over to your camera. The Hornet doesn't have an internal voltage regulator so just use a
7805 5 voltage regulator between the hornet and the 5 volt camera (simple 3 pin device : pin 1 goes to Volts in,pin 2 goes to Ground & pin 3 is 5volts out)
https://www.google.ca/search?q=7805+...w=1024&bih=677
Keep in mind that the input of the regulator has to be more than 7.5 volts though
Last edited by saabguyspg; Mar 29, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,062 Posts
just add a 12v recom regulator and it will also clean up some noise you may get on the osd from running one battery

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt View Post
I dont have 12V on the plane (other than a lipo balance tap) and i'm trying to minimise the amount of components and not add more regulators. I have 5V and 14.8V on the plane, so want to know if i can power the hornet from 5V by modifing it. I'll crack it open and trace the circuit regardless but thought it would be useful to ask if anyone has already done so
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Problems connecting my Xbee pro 900

I thought I'd try the Xbee pro 900 again.on the fy31
It worked fine on my Ardupilot mega but I can't get it to work on the FY31 GCS
Right now it works great when I test it on the X-CTU but the GCS doesn't want to accept the data.I think it has something to do with the data framing
Is there anything that has to be done with the I/O settings.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:53 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,062 Posts
all setting are to be default but the baud needs to be 19200 and you have to do this for both the air and ground modem of course.

Steve
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Yup that's the way I've got it setup
When I have the Fy31 hooked up straight to the computer it all works but no go when I put the data through the modem . I have the green light show on both modem units
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:52 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,062 Posts
Something is kit configured with your modems properly

Did you change the com port to 19200 as well? See my video On the gcs

I have used xbee pros lots it should work
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:19 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Problem Solved

Problem solved
My base Xbee was version 1061 firmware ( I bought it about a year ago)
My new Xbee for my plane will not accept version 1061 so I had to use a version
that they both agree on which is version 1002
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:53 PM
Chelmno, Poland
Joined Dec 2009
11 Posts
hello everyone

Today I try upgrade my FY-31AP. Everythings go great with 100% sucessfull :]
But I have problem with one button in firmware upgrade software - Read the Version number.
Before upgrade with 1,20 - was 1,12 .. now (after upgrade ofcourse) when I check current version - is steel 1,12 - why ??
Anyone check this upgrade software function ?
MariuszL is offline Find More Posts by MariuszL
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:06 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
490 Posts
Wow, losing a plane is hard... especially when there aren't even a bunch of pieces to pick up... My condolences, Biggles.

My question relates to the use of the data modems to extend RC range. i am currently using the stock Turnigy 9x, and am looking to extend the range, at least as far as my Vid Tx (range Video 600mW) Seeing as I have a 600mW data modem, it seems reasonable to try and use this device. I originally assumed that it would be as simple as using the remote adapter and the data modem...

I have tested the GCS system, using the Rx connected to the remote adapter and the data 602. I also have an identical Rx in the plane. I have tested the range of the stock 9x to about 1km. No problems. What I would like to arrange is that the data modem (relaying my Tx signal via) takes over control as soon as the plane goes out of range.

I am not sure if this is possible, and I would feel alot better about it if the data modem could be used to relay the signal without the computer...

For now I am planing on upgrading the 9x to Frsky module, and using a 1mW 2.4gHz amplifier... however, i would still like to figure a way to have the data modem work as a fail safe if the range of the Tx is broached.. any ideas or am i just cracked?
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly