HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
490 Posts
Is it the FY-31AP / OSD /GPS or just the FY-31?
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:09 PM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
is it the fy-31ap / osd /gps or just the fy-31?
fy-31ap
bicyclemonkey is offline Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:45 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,085 Posts
[QUOTE=simplyfly;20739536]
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post

I would be very careful using an inverter with the laptop... I have used this set up before, and have damaged my machine. The inverter supplied 120V alright, but also a second signal much higher in V. This damaged my input resistors.

Also, the inverter is very inefficient... I use a car adapter, purchased from an after market supplier. The car adapter changes the V output from the vehicles 12V, to the operating V of the laptop. It also protects against small surges and spikes.
Thanks for the advice. First I've heard of that kind of problem. I'll keep it in mind.

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Feb 2006
68 Posts
What data link setups will work with this system? Am I limited to the manufactures setup? According to Saabguyspg, you can use xbee stuff. (1st post of this thread)
I don't have any experience with these, so if someone can point me to some information, or school me up a little, It would be greatly appreciated.
R2276B is offline Find More Posts by R2276B
Last edited by R2276B; Feb 15, 2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:08 PM
Gravity Test in Progress
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jul 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2276B View Post
What data link setups will work with this system? Am I limited to the manufactures setup? According to Saabguyspg, you can use xbee stuff. (1st post of this thread)
I don't have any experience with these, so if someone can point me to some information, or school me up a little, It would be greatly appreciated.
Same here with the query about having to use FY's 2.4gHz data modem with my 2.4gHz flight radio. Thanks.
.Steve is offline Find More Posts by .Steve
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:39 PM
um, yea, I can make that crash
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Aug 2011
2,579 Posts
I'm considering the fy31ap/hornet mainly for its stabilisation and RTH features.

I can't find any info on if it can show RSSI in the OSD so i assume it can't but hope to be corrected. ???

Also, later on down the line i would like to add a MyFlyDream automatic antenna tracker (i know the opinions on antenna trackers here) and would like to know if i can use the fy31's GPS antenna to also feed the MFD's GPS encoder to save having two GPS antennas onboard. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance...
Wayno Complaino is online now Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
Hi all
I am also having the same problems as others have stated here about caching with Google Earth and the GCS. The problem I have is that the GSS opens up correctly, no problem there, but, I cannot 'zoom' in on the Google Earth main screen, which is important to set your ways, actually, necessary...unless you use some other software to calculate EXACTLY your coordinates and inpout them in the GCS, which I assume and presume would not be recommended.
Others out there have this problem?

PS -- I would like to mention that I am using Windows 7. The GCS did work at first, was really great, (see my videos on same thread) but now, major bug in this GCS. I have another laptop (yes, lucky me) that I use now but with this one I am using Windows Vista, works perfectly, so far. I did the other person`s advise about removing the program and so on but that did not work at all...
I am giving up until Feiyu Tech does an update. I will post more videos but this time using my HK FPP EPV plane and 2 4200 mah (8400 mah) 3S, and the very awesome NTM motor (1400 kv 560 watts).
cheers
eldiablo1969 is offline Find More Posts by eldiablo1969
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:10 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,072 Posts
For those with cache problems, download this program it works great!!

http://www.coipos.com/en/cge.php

Steve
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
490 Posts
[QUOTE=
I am giving up until Feiyu Tech does an update. I will post more videos but this time using my HK FPP EPV plane and 2 4200 mah (8400 mah) 3S, and the very awesome NTM motor (1400 kv 560 watts).
cheers[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat... and have the exact plane/motor ....The GCS is just too twitchy for me to try and use it at the feild. Originally I was hoping to be able to use the GCS for "on the fly" GPS based waypoints... but I just can't seem to get it to run solid. The google plugin hangs, and sometimes just locks up. The USB driver aslo wreaks havoc with some of my other devices, like my mouse.

For now, I will be content using the other features of the system, and try again with an updated GCS... It would be great if Feiyu would create a Linux version ( I can't stand having to use microsoft ;(
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:26 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
For those with cache problems, download this program it works great!!

http://www.coipos.com/en/cge.php

Steve
Thanks Steve! This thing works great!

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:45 PM
Gravity Test in Progress
Joined Jul 2010
401 Posts
GPS Antenna Location.

Aside from the manual stating the obvious about putting the gps antenna "face-up" how well does this antenna pick up satellite signals?

The reason I'm asking is I am thinking about locating it under the wing in a cutout in the fuselage under the trailing edge.
Is there any problem with having two GPS antenna's within 6" of each other.
I've had handheld GPS units side by side without a tracking problem inside a house still picking up satellites through a roof.
Just wondering if there are any quirks about this antenna?

Does this gps antenna generate any heat?
Last edited by .Steve; Feb 16, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:57 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,072 Posts
every install is different and it will all depend on the RF interferance in your plane. How you wire things up, what video tx you use, how close your power lines are etc. all play a factor.

GPS are receiving devices and don't care how close they are to eachother typically.

I group all receiving devices together on the plane and all transmitting devices together then create maximum distance between the two.

testing is your only true answer unfortunately.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Steve View Post
Aside from the manual stating the obvious about putting the gps antenna "face-up" how well does this antenna pick up satellite signals?

The reason I'm asking is I am thinking about locating it under the wing in a cutout in the fuselage under the trailing edge.
I there any problem with having two GPS antenna's within 6" of each other.
I've had handheld GPS units side by side without a tracking problem inside a house still picking up satellites through a roof.
Just wondering if there are any quirks about this antenna?
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:50 PM
Gravity Test in Progress
Joined Jul 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
every install is different and it will all depend on the RF interferance in your plane. How you wire things up, what video tx you use, how close your power lines are etc. all play a factor.

GPS are receiving devices and don't care how close they are to eachother typically.

I group all receiving devices together on the plane and all transmitting devices together then create maximum distance between the two.

Steve
Very true! I do my system's - Rx, Stabilizer, downlink, etc. as separate systems trying to power each individually, but ya can't do that all the time. Running a ground wire seems to make a difference on some setups.

The photo is just the first try at where all this is going to go in a small fuselage, it will change no doubt! Every electrical wire lead will be twisted and ferrite coils used as appropriate.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:18 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:

Steve

Don't forget about using RF filters.
Here in Canada the Model Aviation Assoc MAAC believes that you should
have your HAM radio licence to be in this hobby.

One can get really technical and talk about low pass filters and band pass filters etc and this shouldn't reqiure that I go to a DIY forum to discuss it.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:06 PM
South America
Joined Feb 2005
9 Posts
Well I am at wits end with this GCS software. Three computers, three failures. The USB TTL cable locks my mouse up on one machine. Cant figure a fix... Second one is a brand spanking new SONY laptop. Software ran once then its a never ending battle with instrument screens etc coming up. I have deleted the exe installation file. Deleted the goofle frame file in Feiyu folder as recommended. The third PC I loaded everything really carefully and it worked once. There after its dead again. ARGGGHHHH. Foxtech guys have tried hard to help. FEIYU guys are missing in action.

The OSD works fine, I get the sats to lock in, about 9 on average. SSL cable is fine as it loaded the new firmware in the hornet perfectly.

But this darned GCS is a packet of manure so far.

I have tried running it as the admin. Same problems. This is three weeks into my patience and anger management behaivour and I have never lasted this long before. I just want it to work, I need to load values to setup the 31AP.

Come one FEIYU TECH. There has to be a lot of guys like me out here who are frustrated. Get that GCS software runniung on W7 or better yet OSX :-) and you have a winner.
aLLANCITO is offline Find More Posts by aLLANCITO