Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:24 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Yes very sorry for the silence here.

I will look at this and see what happens on my end. Sounds like it could be a bug. I like mine in heading hold mode and am a bit afraid to take it out hahahha

Ps I am no expert...
Ha-ha, no need to be sorry. Guess you've been very busy or just took a rest. Well, you may think yourself you are not an expert, but at least you have some years of experience which makes you one......
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:29 AM
Joined Oct 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
Maybe that is the problem. I think you need to have GPS connected and have a fix on the satellites and need to be moving so that the 31 knows where he is and the heading. Seems logical to me if you have no speed, altitude and heading, there cannot be a heading hold.
Yes I understand that but I need to get the fy31ap in Fixed–Altitude Flight Mode first, and that seems to be a problem, it always remains in Nav mode.
Peter64 is offline Find More Posts by Peter64
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:23 AM
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter64 View Post
Yes I understand that but I need to get the fy31ap in Fixed–Altitude Flight Mode first, and that seems to be a problem, it always remains in Nav mode.
There may be another explanation.

GCS has been written for both the Panda and the FY31AP. It seems to me, the 31 just doesn't have these functions (as before, I have looked the manual for the 31 back and forth) but the Panda has. So that could be the issue. The button is there, but the function is not supported by the 31. Again, I think only Feiyu (or Steve ) could answer this. I'm just guessing.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:22 AM
Norway, Nordland, Leknes
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
There may be another explanation.

GCS has been written for both the Panda and the FY31AP. It seems to me, the 31 just doesn't have these functions (as before, I have looked the manual for the 31 back and forth) but the Panda has. So that could be the issue. The button is there, but the function is not supported by the 31. Again, I think only Feiyu (or Steve ) could answer this. I'm just guessing.
Well it do or did work with my 31ap. It was on the previous firmware i did it. Hasnt been flying much lately so i hasnt tried or seen if it still stand on the newest fw.
I did it with the usb cable standing still.
Cant remember if the setting sticked in the menu after setting it.

Update:
I just tried to change to Heading lock flight mode in GCS3, it worked like it should.
Dialog said: "Command is sending", and after few seconds "Setting is succeded".
Fw 2.1
Bjoern
Thidsa is offline Find More Posts by Thidsa
Last edited by Thidsa; Feb 03, 2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: upd
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:03 PM
Alex USA
Joined Oct 2011
511 Posts
Hello Guys,

I do have a set of FY-31AP and Hornet OSD - love if because it's simplicity ...
Yesterday performed some firmware upgrade.
Never one for OSD 1.60
After upgrade - I have no FPV battery voltage, which should be located in left lower corner, right over temp.
Have I screwed up or you have the same situation ?

Thank you
usa.alex is offline Find More Posts by usa.alex
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:03 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
414 Posts
Is altitude AND head possible? Or just altitude OR heading?
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:15 AM
Joined Oct 2011
40 Posts
Thanks Thidsa & Pattaya01

Seems I needed the older version of the GCS. This time after I hit confirm I get "setting succeeded" in the box. Although each time you open the box again the nav-mode check box is always the one that is checked. Ill throw the thing in a plane and see what happens when I hit NAV mode.
Peter64 is offline Find More Posts by Peter64
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:12 PM
Norway, Nordland, Leknes
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt View Post
Is altitude AND head possible? Or just altitude OR heading?
Seems like one of them at a time
Thidsa is offline Find More Posts by Thidsa
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:58 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,131 Posts
good stuff guys, never got to this!

the response I got from FY was that you have to use GCS 3.0 but I think you figured that out now.

As for modes and how the GCS shows them I think it still says "nav" but an easy way to tell if it's working in heading hold mode is to....

1)power on the plane and get a gps fix
2)connect your gcs with data modem
3) read the wapoints that may be stored on the autopilot.... look at where they are on the map
4)select position three on your three position switch (which would be nav mode)
5)now on the gcs there should be red arrows that go off the map in the direction the plane is facing and NOT to a waypoint.

Remember that the 31AP has no compass so because of this it needs movement to calculate the heading so the arrows likely wont be directly off in the direction the plane was facing but when you fly they will be.

some tips on how to use this feature.

1) head in the direction you want for about 5 seconds at least before selecting the mode. This ensures the AP has a good idea of where you want to go.
2) the altitude WILL be maintained so don't worry there... it will hold the last altitude before the mode was selected.
3) the plane may make a snake "S" instead of following the line... no worries you need to tune your PID's

First thing to do when tuning PIDs

If you are flying a Skywalker make sure in parameters 2 tab you select navigate by ailersons only NOT with rudder... the skywalker turns like garbage with rudder from these autopilots

If flying with skywalker and you have large aileron throws (most peple do) start by turning down the turn control (first box that is default at 50) get it down to 30 and the S should be smaller.

Start there... I will post my skywalkers setting in a screen shot tonight and will add more notes for tuning.

It will fly pretty darn bang on the line when tuned.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:53 AM
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Help, I' lost.

I have been using the FY31AP in my FPV Raptor, no problem, all worked well. Today I put the same FY31AP in my new X8, flying wing. Put dipswitch 3 to on (Flying wing mode for 31) and checked all functions.

I move aileron on my TX, only left control surface on X8 moves. I move elevator on my TX, only right control surface on X8 moves. I switch on Stabilization Mode and move the X8, both control surfaces move correctly.

I reverse aileron or elevator on TX, same as above, only this time left and right are switched. I reverse both aileron and elevator, identical as above.

I double checked by connecting both control surfaces directly to receiver, all works well. So TX and RX are working OK.

What am I doing wrong?????
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:51 AM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
752 Posts
Hi,
Have you tried disengaging your elevon mixing on your rc tx?

Sakis
sgrouts is offline Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:43 AM
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrouts View Post
Hi,
Have you tried disengaging your elevon mixing on your rc tx?

Sakis
You are a genius. Thanks a lot. You have to set your TX to normal plane, the 31 does all the mixing. I had my TX also set as wing. This forum is priceless.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:55 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
You are a genius. Thanks a lot. You have to set your TX to normal plane, the 31 does all the mixing. I had my TX also set as wing. This forum is priceless.
I had the same issue... The 31-ap does the mixing, didn't expect that, but it makes sense when you think about it...
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:43 PM
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
I had the same issue... The 31-ap does the mixing, didn't expect that, but it makes sense when you think about it...
No, it doesn't make sense at all. When I switch the 31 to Manual mode, it should just pass the signals through. This way, it is always involved and needed. Secondly, when the 31 has a problem and I remove it, I have to completely set up my TX for flying wing. Thirdly, if this is the case, it should have been mentioned in the manual.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the 31 and very happy to use it, but there is a BIG lack of information. This forum compensates for that a lot, but it shouldn't be necessary.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:42 AM
Philippines, Central Luzon, Guiguinto
Joined Jul 2011
110 Posts
Hi guys,
ive been flying my f-tek31ap (fy31ap) for a month with version 2.1 firmware, also got the Ftek-OSD (hornet) flashed with 1.6 but haven't installed the osd still waiting for the camera.

im using tgy9x er9x frsky module and have program the following flight modes and switches
3way sw, ID0 normal, ID1 ABM, ID2 ACM
Gear sw, Normal RTL

i dont intend to setup my plane with waypoints thats why i removed NAV mode but interested in what cyclops storm can do, hold altitude, headlock alone.
a fren on utube explain to me NAV modes hav 3 submodes,
correct me pls if im wrong
1. Path Flight Mode (requires CGS etc)
2. Fix Altitude Flight (will this work without CGS)
3. Head Lock (will This work without CGS)

wondering if i can make use of 2)FAF fixed with nav mode
without any use of CGS software
if so id remove ACM in my 3way switch ID2 and bring back NAV mode

i tried a couple of time to try to set it up, but when testing the nav mode on the table the aileron seem to deflect just like it was in path mode.

ive been reading this thread and always this topic seem to vanish but for interested people like me, would like to know if FAF can be programmed fixed to NAV mode without having to fly with CGS and laptop!

a process of how to set it up, and what cgs software version we should use to set it fixed to FAF or Heading hold would be helpful. im not into waypoints or autonomus flight, just simple fpv flying, hoping to make use of this 2 modes (FAF and Heading hold)

thanks james
jbx907 is offline Find More Posts by jbx907
Last edited by jbx907; Feb 06, 2013 at 10:24 AM.