HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:46 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_bondok View Post
HI guys, I'm not sure if this was addressed sometime a go or not. Yesterday it was very cold up here and i tried to fly my plane at -15 degree siliceous and i noted that the gyro for FY-31AP is not functioning probably, it was totally crazy.

Another thing is that I'm using Futaba 10CAP TX, I seted up the fail safe mode to activate the Auto Pilot. this set up worked ok at warm weather however yesterday the Auto Pilot kicks in at very short range (about 100 meter from the base). Have you came across such issue at cold weather? Do you have any solutions\ recommendations (other than not flying at cold weather ) ?

Thanks
Bond.
There is only 1 recommendation: don't fly at such temperatures. The Fy31AP is made out of components that are designed for consumer electronics. They are guaranteed for temperatures above zero. -15 degrees celcius is what we call mill spec (military specifications) and the FY31AP would be 3 times more expensive if they would use mill spec components.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:52 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
There is only 1 recommendation: don't fly at such temperatures. The Fy31AP is made out of components that are designed for consumer electronics. They are guaranteed for temperatures above zero. -15 degrees celcius is what we call mill spec (military specifications) and the FY31AP would be 3 times more expensive if they would use mill spec components.
I just came back flying in -7c with no apparent issues. Electronics while operating heat themselves.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:15 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
FY-31AP Specs.

FY-31AP module:
Input voltage : 4.0 ~ 6.0 Volt;
Current draw : 50mA (5V);
Size : 47 x 27 x 20 mm;
Weight (excluding wires) : 25g;
Temperature range : -25 C ~ +70 C;

Must be Military spec.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:36 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
I agree with the comments about the temperature, I have flown out of spec temp and I had to re-set the gyro.

I would say that they are not meant to really perform at these temps and to use caution as always be ready to take control at any time even more so in cold condition.

My 21AP did some very strange things on me in the cold the other day, stabization was bad and RTL did not work at all... before this it worked flawlessly... go figure.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:25 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Mill Spec chips on the FY31 AP . Now your talking!
I'll spend 3 times more for it.
In the meantime, anybody flying in cold temps had better have there electronics encased in a controlled enviroment. The heat dissipated
from the prop motor ESC and the heat dissipated from the video telemetry transmitter are good sources for heating up an encasement for temperature sensative electronics.
It's not an easy fix to protect the Fy-31 AP and the GPS electronics from the cold weather .
It sure would be nice to have my Skywalker drone work at minus 60 degrees Celsius and I think it could be possible if the proper encasement is used.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Sep 2012
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
Mill Spec chips on the FY31 AP . Now your talking!
I'll spend 3 times more for it.
In the meantime, anybody flying in cold temps had better have there electronics encased in a controlled enviroment. The heat dissipated
from the prop motor ESC and the heat dissipated from the video telemetry transmitter are good sources for heating up an encasement for temperature sensative electronics.
It's not an easy fix to protect the Fy-31 AP and the GPS electronics from the cold weather .
It sure would be nice to have my Skywalker drone work at minus 60 degrees Celsius and I think it could be possible if the proper encasement is used.
And not only that. Think about the following:

Servo's - What happens with the electronics? And lubricant in the gear? And possible moisture?
Receiver - Will the receiver still work properly at -xx degrees?
Battery - The battery will be the only component that will feel happy !!

Of course is easy talk for me. I am in Thailand, +30 degrees all the time. I don't even remember anymore how it feels with freezing temperatures.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:09 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
Does anyone have a better description on these parameters within the 2D GCS V4 Software.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Does anyone have a better description on these parameters within the 2D GCS V4 Software.
I've been asking this question to Feiyu since the day I started using the 31AP. Steve helped a lot and also if you read the Panda manual, there is some sort of explanation to it all. But Feiyu told me there are mistakes in that manual (they did not tell which) and were going to release a new manual on this.........

That's about 3 months ago.......

I don't want to be negative, but these parameters are the most important settings of all, and yet there is no proper manual to follow and understand which is doing what. It's all in Chinglish and non descriptive.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:04 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
I've been asking this question to Feiyu since the day I started using the 31AP. Steve helped a lot and also if you read the Panda manual, there is some sort of explanation to it all. But Feiyu told me there are mistakes in that manual (they did not tell which) and were going to release a new manual on this.........

That's about 3 months ago.......

I don't want to be negative, but these parameters are the most important settings of all, and yet there is no proper manual to follow and understand which is doing what. It's all in Chinglish and non descriptive.
Looks like we are all in the same boat so to speak. I used to use the FY-31 on a AXN and the plane flew nicely with default parameters. Today I started flying it on a much slower and heavier plane Skywalker and it was all over the map tracking through the Nav Waypoints etc. Doing circles at some of the way points. I'm sure the strong winds didn't help.

Looks like I will have to try a few parameters and see what changes and hopefully helps.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:58 AM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
702 Posts
Quote:
Battery - The battery will be the only component that will feel happy !!
I think that lipos will also suffer a drop on capacity in so low temps.

Sakis

sgrouts is offline Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:22 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
there is a description in the manual on how to adjust these settings

First set up a Box with a few hundred meters between each waypoint at least.

Then observe how the play takes the corners, if it over shoots the corner then increase P until it cuts the corner too tight... then back it off again so that it is somewhere between those settings.

I is something you will have to play with but there is a little blurb on that too. Essentially I get p as best you can and if you have no problems then don't touch I.

After that start increaseing the "route stability" which I think was "side offset dampening" in the other GCS, I am not sure why they changed the names. I have found that the heavier the bird (loaded skywalker for example) needs larger side offset dampening or route stability.

As an example my 2.3kg skywalker is at 70 for side offset dampening and it holds a very near pefectly staright line.

I also had to increase this value on my X5 airplane when I had Panda installed.

Getting a data modem and adjusting these values in a safe, known environment is very beneficial.

Steve
ps I WLL ADD THAT I HAVE ONLY TUNED USING THE 3D GCS AND THESE NAMES SEEM SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT SO I WILL CONFRM VERY SOON WHAT ALL THESE THINGS DO.

Quote:
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:53 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
there is a description in the manual on how to adjust these settings

First set up a Box with a few hundred meters between each waypoint at least.

Then observe how the play takes the corners, if it over shoots the corner then increase P until it cuts the corner too tight... then back it off again so that it is somewhere between those settings.

I is something you will have to play with but there is a little blurb on that too. Essentially I get p as best you can and if you have no problems then don't touch I.

After that start increaseing the "route stability" which I think was "side offset dampening" in the other GCS, I am not sure why they changed the names. I have found that the heavier the bird (loaded skywalker for example) needs larger side offset dampening or route stability.

As an example my 2.3kg skywalker is at 70 for side offset dampening and it holds a very near pefectly staright line.

I also had to increase this value on my X5 airplane when I had Panda installed.

Getting a data modem and adjusting these values in a safe, known environment is very beneficial.

Steve
ps I WLL ADD THAT I HAVE ONLY TUNED USING THE 3D GCS AND THESE NAMES SEEM SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT SO I WILL CONFRM VERY SOON WHAT ALL THESE THINGS DO.
Thanks trouble with the 2D V4 Software it has 3 columns but no definition what each column means even in the manual.

If I compare the default values with the 3D GCS manual even some of them have the default values incorrectly labeled, so its hard to decide which value to actually change.

The "70 for side offset dampening and it holds a very near perfectly straight line." I assume you changed the value from 60 to 70. 1 manual has the default at 5 another 60. So if you changed the 60 - 70 then I can do the same on the 2D V4 GCS software. As mu Skywalker was doing circles at waypoints to get the waypoint which isn't right. It looked like the wind was pushing it off course so it did a circle to get back on track. Didn't have any of these problems with a much lighter plane.

When you mention increase "P" what is "P" I assume in the Turn control configuration area. There are 3 values, Attidude or attitude Control (50), Attitude integ (5)& Hdg damping (50).

Sorry for the million questions...but the manuals suck...
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:05 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2008
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
I agree with the comments about the temperature, I have flown out of spec temp and I had to re-set the gyro.

I would say that they are not meant to really perform at these temps and to use caution as always be ready to take control at any time even more so in cold condition.

My 21AP did some very strange things on me in the cold the other day, stabization was bad and RTL did not work at all... before this it worked flawlessly... go figure.

Steve
Hi Steve, did you set up the gyro at the low temperature i mean out side. or should i do that inside then take the plane to the field. in your experience what is the best. by the way i'm in Calgary and open to meet you at your convenience.
h_bondok is offline Find More Posts by h_bondok
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:14 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
hi there yes the manuals suck... I plan to fly and change values while recording what they do on my computer screen.. but I have been soo darn busy.

I suppose I need to review everything on the 2D GCS before I comment on something and make a mistake.

the default for side offset dampening being 5 or 60 does not really matter... try it at 70 and see how you go.

what I will do is capture my skywalker settings and maybe they will work for you too.

sorry I need to do some more video's for the PID stuff and will as soon as I can spend a day flying for fun (which does not happen very often lately it's all work)

Steve

Quote:
Thanks trouble with the 2D V4 Software it has 3 columns but no definition what each column means even in the manual.

Sorry for the million questions...but the manuals suck...
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:19 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
hi there, i would allow the plane to adjust to the outside temp for 15 or 20 minutes... then do the jumper on the 21AP or 31AP or whatever and that "should" help... but not 100% guarenteed that's for sure...

Steve
PS love to meet you but finding time is always an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_bondok View Post
Hi Steve, did you set up the gyro at the low temperature i mean out side. or should i do that inside then take the plane to the field. in your experience what is the best. by the way i'm in Calgary and open to meet you at your convenience.