HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:02 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,646 Posts
How do you guys like this system? I have a dragon OSD and I'm thinking about trying out something different. I need it to have an OSD and stabalization. I've been looking at the fy31AP and the adrupilot 2.5. What do you guys think?
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:31 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
How do you guys like this system? I have a dragon OSD and I'm thinking about trying out something different. I need it to have an OSD and stabalization. I've been looking at the fy31AP and the adrupilot 2.5. What do you guys think?
FY31AP of course.

But maybe we (I) are (am) not the right person(s) to ask. We are pretty biased. Secondly, I have absolutely no knowledge on the adrupilot 2.5 (or any other version)



But as you can see from previous posts from me, I am flying FY31AP + Hornet + FY606 and very happy.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:46 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
The Model Aviation Association of Canada (MAAC) has just come up with new guidelines and here is a quote regarding Frequency and radio spectrum.:

" There are several measurements, verifications, and proof flights which prove that a 2.4 Ghz analog video transmitter cannot interfere with DSS 2.4 Ghz RC controllers. However , for the safety of the UAV pilot, UAV plane and UAV equipment, the UAV pilots are advised not to use 2.4 Ghz video transmitters because a single 2.4 Ghz radio turned on during the UAV flight can effectively interfere with the video system and blank out the video signal."
That's very interesting. Never thought about it that way. So what they mean to say is, when you fly FPV and use the video signal on your goggles or screen to fly (not autonomously), if someone switches on another transmitter using 2.4GHz, you could loose your video signal and loose control.

So this warning does make sense. It is far better to use a video system NOT on 2.4 if you fly like that. Since I am not using the video to fly, but just to record my flight, I still feel safe. Loosing the video signal would not make any difference for me. I take off and land by direct eyesight, fly my control waypoints within eyesight and then let it go.

But I do think the warning is valid and the measurements are sensible.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:08 PM
Registered User
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
That's very interesting. Never thought about it that way. So what they mean to say is, when you fly FPV and use the video signal on your goggles or screen to fly (not autonomously), if someone switches on another transmitter using 2.4GHz, you could loose your video signal and loose control.

So this warning does make sense. It is far better to use a video system NOT on 2.4 if you fly like that. Since I am not using the video to fly, but just to record my flight, I still feel safe. Loosing the video signal would not make any difference for me. I take off and land by direct eyesight, fly my control waypoints within eyesight and then let it go.

But I do think the warning is valid and the measurements are sensible.
I think that the video signal will be lost just for a short period.
No problem While flying autonomous.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:17 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
I think that the video signal will be lost just for a short period.
No problem While flying autonomous.
I do not think it will only be lost for a short period. The 2.4 Ghz radio's using hopping technology, are actually looking which channels are free and which are occupied. They will avoid the occupied channels and go for the free ones. If your video is on 2.4 and you are flying away, whoever switches on the radio will not respect your video transmitter. As you are further away, the signal from your video TX is too small for the radio to be considered. So it might use that particular channel as a free channel. Your video might be screwed up for as long as this radio is switched on. Of course when you fly autonomous, no problems.

Now I am happy I have chosen 5.8GHz for video. No interference, small and light equipment, small antenna's and good range. (+10Km on 500 mW). The only problem with 5.8 is you always need line of sight. It is such a high frequency that anything that is in its way, will block the signal as well.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:13 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
I do not think it will only be lost for a short period. The 2.4 Ghz radio's using hopping technology, are actually looking which channels are free and which are occupied. They will avoid the occupied channels and go for the free ones. If your video is on 2.4 and you are flying away, whoever switches on the radio will not respect your video transmitter. As you are further away, the signal from your video TX is too small for the radio to be considered. So it might use that particular channel as a free channel. Your video might be screwed up for as long as this radio is switched on. Of course when you fly autonomous, no problems.

Now I am happy I have chosen 5.8GHz for video. No interference, small and light equipment, small antenna's and good range. (+10Km on 500 mW). The only problem with 5.8 is you always need line of sight. It is such a high frequency that anything that is in its way, will block the signal as well.
What antennas are you using on your setup for 10+ KM.?
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:41 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
I finished the auto drop test video.
I am also selling the old system. Details at the following link
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...38&postcount=1
PistaJ is online now Find More Posts by PistaJ
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:05 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
What antennas are you using on your setup for 10+ KM.?
TX, 500 mW, cloverleaf
RX, diversity, scew planar for short range and 5 turn helical with wavetrap for long range. I point my antenna by hand.

19112012_Wat_Yansangwararam.avi (7 min 44 sec)


At 3:30 reach 12Km.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:15 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
805 Posts
what size batteries are you using for that distance ? 24km round trip
motofox is offline Find More Posts by motofox
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:45 AM
Registered User
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
I do not think it will only be lost for a short period. The 2.4 Ghz radio's using hopping technology, are actually looking which channels are free and which are occupied. They will avoid the occupied channels and go for the free ones. If your video is on 2.4 and you are flying away, whoever switches on the radio will not respect your video transmitter. As you are further away, the signal from your video TX is too small for the radio to be considered. So it might use that particular channel as a free channel. Your video might be screwed up for as long as this radio is switched on. Of course when you fly autonomous, no problems.

Now I am happy I have chosen 5.8GHz for video. No interference, small and light equipment, small antenna's and good range. (+10Km on 500 mW). The only problem with 5.8 is you always need line of sight. It is such a high frequency that anything that is in its way, will block the signal as well.
I didn't consider that situation but that is correct that the radio will not detect the weak signal coming from the distant video signal and then it could start using those frequencies.

One of my fellow fliers in my club uses 5.8 Ghz video and uses a tracking system that helps with the long distance transmits.
I personally don't like the higher frequencies and try to stay below 1.3 Ghz with my telemetry equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RIPcombat?feature=watch
RIPrc Eagle Tree Sim with the Skywalker (8 min 40 sec)

FPV Crazy Wind EagleTree Fy20a SkyWalker NO PROBLEM (2 min 51 sec)
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:17 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
491 Posts
One thing i feel is missing from the 31Ap... aside from airspeed, is RSSI.

It would be very cool if feiyu could figure a way to add this feature to an otherwise awesome AP system.
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:24 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofox View Post
what size batteries are you using for that distance ? 24km round trip
I am using Turnigy 3 cell, 4000 mA/H, 2 pieces in parallel. Gives me a total capacity of 8 A/H. Average power consumption 10A during flight, at 60 Km/Hr. Total range (theory) would be 48 minutes = 48 Km. But I never fly that long. Longest flight sofar is about 30Km. Also, these batteries are not giving the full 4A/H. So my safety margin is 30%.

Batteries make up more than 1/2 the weight of the total plane which is now at 2.1 Kg.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:46 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Good morning all,

I have to share something with you guys that is absolutely not related to the FY31AP or any other Feiyu product, but worth sharing. Snce this is the only threat I actively and regularly visit, I share this with you.

I was looking for another radio with at least 9 channels and since I am using Spektrum, I looked at either Spektrum or JR. But both with 9 channels or above are beyond my budget. Especially the receivers are expensive.

So I started to compare models and prices and stumbled upon Walkera Devo 12S. Most online shops sell this radio at more than 400 USD.

But this radio is amazing: 12 channels, telemetry and you can assign any control to any channel.

Just by luck I found a company called Himodel. They are in China and offer this radio for 385USD, including 12 channel receiver. It is www dot himodel dot com. I am a bit reluctant to order from China, but I must also admit that sofar I had no problems with other suppliers from China. So I gave it a try.

They take their time with the first order because they want to be sure the customer is for real, no dispute being opened from PayPal and then they ship.

But after that, this company is absolutely fabulastic. Never ever had such an excellent service and fast delivery. 110% trustworthy and reliable. They ship with FedEx, sofar every order has been delivered to the door, 1 or 2 days ahead of schedule. And the shipping cost is peanuts compared with what Hobby King charges. Only for the Radio I paid 50USD, the other 2 small orders only 16 USD per shipment. Delivery within 2-3 days!!!!

I had some question regarding backorder, reply within 1 hour.

Amazing.

There are still companies out there that take service seriously!!!!
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:51 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
One thing i feel is missing from the 31Ap... aside from airspeed, is RSSI.

It would be very cool if feiyu could figure a way to add this feature to an otherwise awesome AP system.
RSSI for what? There is no receiver in the 31AP and the GPS signal shows the number of satellites. I am very curious what RSSI you would like to see.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
I have both the fy-31ap and the APM 2.5. I prefer the APM 2.5. It's cheaper and more powerful. It requires a bit more knowledge but it pretty easy to get working very well and the documentation is far superior. I have no trouble setting it up, i only leant to fly in april this year.

If your not happy with some aspect of the planes performance you can change it pretty easily with arduplane. The PC software is great, well written, stable, runs on old hardware, buffers the maps at home and has no surprises - settings do what you expect. If you are scared about setting it up in your plane just get a bixler or skywalker and download the profiles for the planes. I left my fy-31ap as the gyro got progressively worse and decided to try the APM when it became available for less than $100.

It's fantastic and the adons (air speed sensor and osd are about $20 each too).
Integratedneck is offline Find More Posts by Integratedneck
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product FY thread: FY20A/FY21AP/FY3ZT/FY31AP/FY90Q/FY91Q/FY-Frame/FY-GCS/FY-OSD/FY-Dataradio yiny0730 FPV Talk 316 Sep 19, 2011 02:30 PM
Discussion Question: KK board and FY-20 or FY-90q Hamanu Multirotor Talk 2 Feb 08, 2011 05:10 PM
AXI'fy your CORONA...NIB 2820/10 iflych52 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jul 26, 2004 09:24 AM
Fy or Die ? a newbie poll Demolisher Foamies (Kits) 29 Mar 08, 2003 03:31 AM