HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:41 AM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromodellers View Post
I recon that any osd can be used in such a scenario. The question here is wether Cyclops can use the data output from 21AP to display information.
Not sure, but I reckon that he, like me, is only interested in the RTH feature. I should probably just sell my FY-31 and get a Nova OSD.
bicyclemonkey is offline Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:47 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromodellers View Post
In this video, the user is using cyclops OSD with 21AP but he is not using the output from the 21AP to the OSD. He is using the OSD independently and the 21AP is not conected the to OSD in anyway. The OSD is calculating the GPS speed, height, etc through its own GPS module.
The Tx1 and Rx1 pins from 21AP are not connected to the OSD.

I recon that any osd can be used in such a scenario. The question here is wether Cyclops can use the data output from 21AP to display information.
I finally got a chance to look closer to the video and noticed that the FY 21ap isn't
hooked up to the telemetry, so I stand corrected.
Looking at how the the FY31 and the Hornet are hooked up in parallel and then hooked up to the telemetry ,this probably can't be done with the cyclops
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:29 PM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
471 Posts
It seems the only difference is you'll have two GPS modules instead of the FY31 and 117 sharing a single GPS.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:48 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,078 Posts
saabguyspg,

I have a couple of questions for you. Just finished reading this entire thread and found a lot of good information but none pertaining to my query.

If I remember correctly, you mentioned having a 3ZT autopilot. I hope it is ok to ask questions about it in this thread. If not, please direct me to another area.

I have a 3ZT from the first run of these units that was shipped out way back when... Blue plastic cases on everything .. When it first arrived, I couldn't get the GCS to work on my laptop because I was using Vista. The old GCS only works on XP (or so I was told at the time) so put it in a drawer where it has remained until a few days ago. I downloaded the latest GCS and found that it works fine on my Vista laptop, so I connected everything together on the 3ZT and began testing. Everything came together quite nicely, so I fired up the GCS and continued the tests with 100% success.

I installed the system in an old Skywalker and again everything tested perfectly. I then loaded up and drove to my favorite flying site for the initial flight tests. After setting up, I found that the GCS would not work and surmised that it was because I do not have internet access at the flying site.... Access to the web is necessary because it uses GE for it's mapping feature...

3 test flights were completed without the GCS and were all successful. Stabilization was perfect, circling around a point and return home flawless.

Now for my questions. Is there a way to cache the Google Earth data used in the GCS in the same manner as GE will do when running it alone? In other words, if I access GE at my home, shut the lap top off and then drive to the flying site, I can still access the maps around my home even though I do not have internet access. It uses the data cached earlier at home. This does not seem to be the case with the GCS.

Second question. Are there any updates available for my old 3ZT? I have searched around but so far without success. I haven't had any trouble with it on the bench, or during the 3 test flights, but have read that there are a few bugs in the system.

Thanks in advance!

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:32 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclemonkey View Post
It seems the only difference is you'll have two GPS modules instead of the FY31 and 117 sharing a single GPS.
Just checked out a TV to USB converter gadget ,it costs around $7 . with it the video output of the remzibi or cyclops can be converted to usb, then use a usb to ttl converter to connect it to the fy31 ttl cable.
It's allot of mucking around and not practical if you don't already have a usb to ttl converter kicking around.
Not sure if the setup will work but I might give it a try when I get my FY31.
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Feb 03, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:20 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
saabguyspg,

I installed the system in an old Skywalker and again everything tested perfectly. I then loaded up and drove to my favorite flying site for the initial flight tests. After setting up, I found that the GCS would not work and surmised that it was because I do not have internet access at the flying site.... Access to the web is necessary because it uses GE for it's mapping feature...

3 test flights were completed without the GCS and were all successful. Stabilization was perfect, circling around a point and return home flawless.

Now for my questions. Is there a way to cache the Google Earth data used in the GCS in the same manner as GE will do when running it alone? In other words, if I access GE at my home, shut the lap top off and then drive to the flying site, I can still access the maps around my home even though I do not have internet access. It uses the data cached earlier at home. This does not seem to be the case with the GCS.

D.W.
I made a feeble attempt to try to cache the google earth data . It was a while ago but I think I was able to make a file , but I couldn't get the file to work with the GCS .
To quick fix the problem I got a smartphone and use it as a wi fi hotspot.
But it sure would be nice to operate the GCS with google earth files of certain areas.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:31 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
I made a feeble attempt to try to cache the google earth data . It was a while ago but I think I was able to make a file , but I couldn't get the file to work with the GCS .
To quick fix the problem I got a smartphone and use it as a wi fi hotspot.
But it sure would be nice to operate the GCS with google earth files of certain areas.
Using a smart phone in hotspot mode is an option that I will look into. What carrier do you use and does it cost extra to set one up in this manner?

Thanks!

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:43 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
I decided to go with android and up here in Canada I am on Bell mobile.
It only cost $60 to upgrade to a smartphone. Some phones will hotspot
with bluetooth instead of wi fi..
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
video of FP31AP

Hi all
I purchased this (FY31AP and Hornet OSD) and it was my first FPV and return to home system. To be honest, this system is awesome, really. I have flown it in -20 degree weather and snow (in Quebec) and have even crashed a plane (my fault on landing) but no damage whatsoever on Hornet and FY31ap...it is a very very good system. I have flown to 3km. with 5 waypoints and the plane fly's itself, literally...and I have tested with different altitude as well and also many times tested the RTL.Does exactly as it says, returns plane to launch and then ACM (auto circles above) once it reaches the launch site. I have yet to test all 8 waypoints but the weather here is quite cold. Will post more when I have the time. If you guys want to have a look I have included two of my You Tube videos. One plane is the new Sirius and the other is the Hobby King FPV EPP, both are great planes. The first video with Sirius the waypoint flying starts at 1 minute and 39 seconds and ends at 5 minutes 24 seconds with first part of video testing RTL (you will notice it circles around me).
Sirius_FPV.AVI (7 min 4 sec)

Waypoint_test2.AVI (9 min 25 sec)

Cheers
eldiablo1969 is offline Find More Posts by eldiablo1969
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:59 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,033 Posts
Hi there, yes there is a 3ZT forum that we should use...

if using the new gcs then if you browse to you map area in G.E. before you go then you should be able to see the map at the field.

you can test this by first browsing to your house in GE, then shut down GE, disconnect from the internet and then plug in the plane...

wait for a GPS lock (or it will try to load china which you did not cash likely) then start up the GCS and connect the modems...

if you see the map of your house then you are good to go.

Now that you have it working it should cash at the field...

GE can cash quite a bit of map on your computer and I think there are settings as to how much it will cash.

All that being said the last time I was at the field it did not cash my GE map. I blamed it on the fact my computer went through an update.

I am going to do the above test with thew GCS and see if we have a bug.... can others do this too? If it's not cashing we need to let FY know.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
saabguyspg,

I have a couple of questions for you. Just finished reading this entire thread and found a lot of good information but none pertaining to my query.

If I remember correctly, you mentioned having a 3ZT autopilot. I hope it is ok to ask questions about it in this thread. If not, please direct me to another area.

I have a 3ZT from the first run of these units that was shipped out way back when... Blue plastic cases on everything .. When it first arrived, I couldn't get the GCS to work on my laptop because I was using Vista. The old GCS only works on XP (or so I was told at the time) so put it in a drawer where it has remained until a few days ago. I downloaded the latest GCS and found that it works fine on my Vista laptop, so I connected everything together on the 3ZT and began testing. Everything came together quite nicely, so I fired up the GCS and continued the tests with 100% success.

Second question. Are there any updates available for my old 3ZT? I have searched around but so far without success. I haven't had any trouble with it on the bench, or during the 3 test flights, but have read that there are a few bugs in the system.

Thanks in advance!

Later;

D.W.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:01 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,033 Posts
great! can you tell me if you reset your gyro when you flew in the cold?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo1969 View Post
Hi all
I purchased this (FY31AP and Hornet OSD) and it was my first FPV and return to home system. To be honest, this system is awesome, really. I have flown it in -20 degree weather and snow (in Quebec) and have even crashed a plane (my fault on landing) but no damage whatsoever on Hornet and FY31ap...it is a very very good system. I have flown to 3km. with 5 waypoints and the plane fly's itself, literally...and I have tested with different altitude as well and also many times tested the RTL.Does exactly as it says, returns plane to launch and then ACM (auto circles above) once it reaches the launch site. I have yet to test all 8 waypoints but the weather here is quite cold. Will post more when I have the time. If you guys want to have a look I have included two of my You Tube videos. One plane is the new Sirius and the other is the Hobby King FPV EPP, both are great planes. The first video with Sirius the waypoint flying starts at 1 minute and 39 seconds and ends at 5 minutes 24 seconds with first part of video testing RTL (you will notice it circles around me).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFZuL...huWS3iF504VZnP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1bpZ...JaFvcav8zRZNyL

Cheers
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:20 AM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
Hi
No, I did not reset the Gryro at all. I know in the manual it says to do if the temperature difference is so and so but then the manual contradicts itself by resetting the gryo the least possible...I'll post more video's when the cold outside is less numb on my fingers to go flying...although to be honest it's not really me flying...sort of...!!
Cheers
hope this helps\
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:41 AM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
Just checked out a TV to USB converter gadget ,it costs around $7 . with it the video output of the remzibi or cyclops can be converted to usb, then use a usb to ttl converter to connect it to the fy31 ttl cable.
It's allot of mucking around and not practical if you don't already have a usb to ttl converter kicking around.
I just got my ezcap and it looks different than your photo. I wonder what the difference is?

Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
Hi
I tested again the FY31AP but longer this time.
The plane flew in circles trying to reach each waypoint.
At 3 km. out, I decided to do an RTL and it worked flawlessly...really, what happened I have no idea. My GPS was ay 9....any ideas?
see picture (yellow is plane travel and dark blue is way points).
Not good.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:38 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Just found a more compact TV stick that converts NTSC to USB. but it costs $38