HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, NV, Gabbs
Joined Feb 2012
121 Posts
Pattaya01,
I have a dx7 also. You can use the knob as another three way. I have tested it and it works good
jstark45xd is offline Find More Posts by jstark45xd
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:19 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2fast View Post
Simple question. How much setup is required to get the Failsafe RTL to work? Once I turn it on I would like it to be always on no matter what plane I put the FY-31AP into. I currently have a DIYD AMP 2.5 autopilot and am considering the FY-31AP to replace it if the RTL is more automatic. The APM instructions have 11 things to do to set it up and I want to just turn it on and forget it.I want to know it's always there no matter what stupid thing I tell the plane to do. That's why it's called Failsafe.
APM 2.5 is quite capable of handling RTH from failsafe, however it is a much more complex piece of hardware that requires that you have a descent understanding of exactly what it is dong to set it up properly, not a beginner or hardware noobie friendly platform.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:57 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2fast View Post
Simple question. How much setup is required to get the Failsafe RTL to work? Once I turn it on I would like it to be always on no matter what plane I put the FY-31AP into. I currently have a DIYD AMP 2.5 autopilot and am considering the FY-31AP to replace it if the RTL is more automatic. The APM instructions have 11 things to do to set it up and I want to just turn it on and forget it.I want to know it's always there no matter what stupid thing I tell the plane to do. That's why it's called Failsafe.
The Fy-31 AP is a very nice choice for a simple setup to put in your plane.
But don't give up on your AMP 2.5 because it has allot more potential and it's
a very good platform for learning about open source programming.
I enjoy having both systems.
Hope to have time in 2 weeks to post a thread on a comparison of both systems.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:29 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstark45xd View Post
Pattaya01,
I have a dx7 also. You can use the knob as another three way. I have tested it and it works good
Not so sure what you mean.

My channel assignment is like this:

1) Throttle
2) Aileron
3) Elevator
4) Rudder
5) Flaps (Normally is Gear)
6) RC/Stab/Nav (3 way switch)
7) RTL/Normal (Aux2, 2 way switch)

So which knob you mean?
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Sep 2012
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
Here's a list of advantages of trying out your autopilot, radio transmitter and receiver on a simulator.
- All flight modes can be tested out and the pilot can become accustom to
switching back and forth to the different modes
- By turning off the transmitter while flying on the simulator you can verify that
the failsafe is working properly.
- A pilot can get allot of experience doing stall recovery which involves being
quick on the trigger on switching to manual control.
- The pilot can try out different PID settings under different weather conditions.
- A pilots flight plan and flight time can be tested out and verified.
Those are the advantages that pop out of the top of my head for now.
The X-plane also allows model plane design so that , for example,I could try out my skywalker with different flying weights or try out a scratch built flying wing design.
I fully agree with all of the above, especially trying out the different PID settings. I still don't understand the effect of most of the settings. I have read the manual over and over again, changed a little bit, tried and still most of the settings are a mystery for me. I would love to have a setup where I can play with the settings without risking my model and see the effects.

Even Feiyu Tech after asking them about the settings, cannot come with a proper and clear set of instructions regarding the PID settings. I mentioned to them the Panda manual was quit good, then they replied:

"Panda manual has described how to adjust the PID setting.
But on the manual has some mistake.
We need rewrite it again.
And for the PID setting we will write a manual about it."

End of story, back to square 1.

Sometimes a bit frustrating.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Sep 2012
759 Posts
One more remark about this issue:

I am flying my FPV Raptor with the FY31AP and Hornet with great pleasure. I love to plan long trips and make beautiful recordings of Thailand's countryside. I am trying to avoid populated area's as much as possible, but you can never avoid 100% to fly over houses, streets, etc.

I have noticed in some occasions, the speed of my plane can be over 100Km/Hr. That is why I have connected the throttle control to the 31AP. But still it gets that fast. Imagine something goes wrong, and I go down with that speed. The weight of my plane is just over 2Kg. E=MC2 so the energy for this projectile would be huge. I do not dare to think what would happen if you hit a car, a house or a person.

That is why I would like to have full knowledge of all the settings of this device. We should never forget we are responsible for our actions and when we fly autonomously, we should always make sure we take all precautions to fly stable and safely.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
28 Posts
hello,
How to assign switch 3 positions on my 9x normal flight - pa - rth?
sw1 = ?
sw2 = ?

thank you

edit:

SW1 switch 3 positions
SW2 switch 2 positions

Ok ? :-)
LeTrucker67 is offline Find More Posts by LeTrucker67
Last edited by LeTrucker67; Dec 05, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:05 AM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTrucker67 View Post
hello,
How to assign switch 3 positions on my 9x normal flight - pa - rth?
sw1 = ?
sw2 = ?

thank you

edit:

SW1 switch 3 positions
SW2 switch 2 positions

Ok ? :-)
On my 9x I used the two top potentiometers for controlling sw1 and sw2.

Sakis
sgrouts is offline Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:09 AM
Joined Sep 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrouts View Post

Sakis
good idea !
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:20 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrouts View Post

Sakis
I replaced one of the pots for a 3 way switch from Radioshack. You can also program the existing 3 way switch if you upgrade the firmware to er9x.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:28 AM
Joined Sep 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I replaced one of the pots for a 3 way switch from Radioshack. You can also program the existing 3 way switch if you upgrade the firmware to er9x.
I'm open9x
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:30 AM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Until I upgrade my 9x I use the top pots.
To help me feel the position of each pot without having to look at them I used adhensive tape which I wraped around each pot and made a "notch" where the two ends of the tape meet around the pot. The notch is located exactly at the center point of the pot ( where the white line on the pot is located).
This way I fly with my eyes on the screen and my fingers know the exact position of the pots.
Although you dont have to be extremely precice. Each position selection has almost 100 degrees of the pots movement (rotation).

Sakis
sgrouts is offline Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:28 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTrucker67 View Post
I'm open9x
I'm sure it can be used with open9x as well.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:56 PM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
723 Posts
im on er9x too and lets you program the 3 way switch, got stab and rc mode on the 2 way switch.
motofox is offline Find More Posts by motofox
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:50 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
One more remark about this issue:

I am flying my FPV Raptor with the FY31AP and Hornet with great pleasure. I love to plan long trips and make beautiful recordings of Thailand's countryside. I am trying to avoid populated area's as much as possible, but you can never avoid 100% to fly over houses, streets, etc.

I have noticed in some occasions, the speed of my plane can be over 100Km/Hr. That is why I have connected the throttle control to the 31AP. But still it gets that fast. Imagine something goes wrong, and I go down with that speed. The weight of my plane is just over 2Kg. E=MC2 so the energy for this projectile would be huge. I do not dare to think what would happen if you hit a car, a house or a person.

That is why I would like to have full knowledge of all the settings of this device. We should never forget we are responsible for our actions and when we fly autonomously, we should always make sure we take all precautions to fly stable and safely.
I have recently purchased the FY31 AP with Hornet to put in my Finwing Penguin. I was curious if I should run the throttle channel into the FY31AP or bypass it and run it to my Corona RP8D1 72mhz and set the failsafe to half throttle when signal is lost?

If the throttle channel is connected directly to the FY31AP will it control throttle for you?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
swartzracing is online now Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys