HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:26 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
simulator! that's a great idea!

I will put it to them...

I have never used an autopilot simulator though... I just could not wrap my head around how it would help or simulate real flight conditions.

If you could write a quick blurb on the basics and the "must haves" of a simulator that would help me to understand their use and better help me to request the features.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:29 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
Hey great news!!!

You should be able to find a small screwdriver that fits in there anywhere realy... local hardware store...

Please it is very helpful to others if you fill in your info on your profile, like where you live etc.

If you live in the US then any dollar store will have what you need, if you live in England the pound store is your friend... europe there should be tons of little hardware shops.

Good luck!

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTrave1er View Post
Thanks hendrnk, NorCalMatCat, borneobear, larry baraniuk, and especially Steve for your replies and information.

I got this Fy31ap a month or so ago from somebody that used it successfully so returning it to vendor doesn't appear an option.

Turns out it's a combination of a couple problems:
1.) I was indeed turning the knob in the wrong direction. It is crazy you totally wouldn't intuit that it is supposed to go the other way. It never occured to me. I didn't even try the other way once...looks like that makes two of us borneobear. Luckily the other knobs turn, I managed to turn them a bit (in the right direction XD) with a tool that isn't exactly good for turning these knobs. I used the side of a piece of metal.

2.) It's still extremely hard to turn and since the knob is already deformed quite a bit and anymore bending and twisting of this small plastic knob would almost certainly render it useless, I absolutely cannot risk trying to turn it unless I have a proper screw driver... which appears to be my biggest problem and the reason why I made the post earlier.

If anybody knows of a store online where I can order the right size screw driver, heck I'd even order a set if I have to in order to get the right size driver. I know this sounds crazy but desperate times call for desperate measures. I might take it to a hardware store or two but at this point I almost don't want to risk even testing out more screw drivers and potentially damaging the knob more. I want to find Goldylocks. I know shes out there...somewhere....but where?

Thanks,
Matt
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:15 PM
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Hey great news!!!

You should be able to find a small screwdriver that fits in there anywhere realy... local hardware store...

Please it is very helpful to others if you fill in your info on your profile, like where you live etc.

If you live in the US then any dollar store will have what you need, if you live in England the pound store is your friend... europe there should be tons of little hardware shops.

Good luck!

Steve
I just set up my location. I was meaning to do that, thanks for reminding me.

I will hit some dollar stores and or hardware stores in the near future. I will either make a video or take a picture or two when it comes down to moving the knob so that the epic event can be recorded for all to see incase something goes horribly wrong. I do feel lucky that the knobs at least turn and will be hopeful that it will all work out in the end.

I just don't really understand why in the default setting the elevator goes in the wrong direction. But I guess it can probably be different for any planes depending on how the servo is mounted.

Thanks,
Matt
TimeTrave1er is online now Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:24 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
you got the unit from someone else... so they will have moved the pots.

Just to remind you there is a tiny arrow in the pot you can see...

If the arrow is straight up then this is neutral deflection of the servo (the servo won't move when you move the plane)

by rotating the arrow a quarter turn left then the servo starts to move when the plane is banked etc. the more you turn it the more agressive the movement is. If you turn the knob the other way now... past the zero point and a quarter turn right say then the servo will reverse and compensate the other direction.

Default from the factory is neutral gains.

Steve
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:05 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
The Advantages Of Using Autopilot Simulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
simulator! that's a great idea!

I will put it to them...

I have never used an autopilot simulator though... I just could not wrap my head around how it would help or simulate real flight conditions.

If you could write a quick blurb on the basics and the "must haves" of a simulator that would help me to understand their use and better help me to request the features.

Steve
Here's a list of advantages of trying out your autopilot, radio transmitter and receiver on a simulator.
- All flight modes can be tested out and the pilot can become accustom to
switching back and forth to the different modes
- By turning off the transmitter while flying on the simulator you can verify that
the failsafe is working properly.
- A pilot can get allot of experience doing stall recovery which involves being
quick on the trigger on switching to manual control.
- The pilot can try out different PID settings under different weather conditions.
- A pilots flight plan and flight time can be tested out and verified.
Those are the advantages that pop out of the top of my head for now.
The X-plane also allows model plane design so that , for example,I could try out my skywalker with different flying weights or try out a scratch built flying wing design.

ArduPlane wind navi with x-plane bixler (5 min 14 sec)
larry baraniuk is online now Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Jul 2006
110 Posts
New firmware for 31AP

Just a heads up, new firmware for 31AP is on the FeiYu website.

On November 29, 2012 V2.1 update explanation:
1. Hornet-OSD can be connected to GPS TX port, data transmission more fluent (Need Hornet-OSD firmware version above V1.6 to support ).

2.On navigation mode maximum support flight waypoints add to 20.

Mike.
miksterr is offline Find More Posts by miksterr
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksterr View Post
2.On navigation mode maximum support flight waypoints add to 20.

Mike.
Wow. Now thats something to shout about.

Thanks!!!

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
490 Posts
Sweet. As I haven't upgraded the units since I bought them a year ago... I have a bunch of catching up to do... Including the new DOS??? I just read the page describing it. I wonder, does the V2.0 Firmware work with the 31AP? There are two files for the firmware, not sure what the difference is...
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Last edited by simplyfly; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:17 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Ok what are they talking about in the readme for the new FY31AP firmware with hardware baro, and something about firmware v2? Did they change the hardware and now there are different firmwares for each or something?
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:01 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Ok what are they talking about in the readme for the new FY31AP firmware with hardware baro, and something about firmware v2? Did they change the hardware and now there are different firmwares for each or something?
You can ignore that remark. If your 31 is an older version, it has another barometric sensor and it will work fine. If you have a new H/W version, the previous update takes advantage of the higher precision of the new sensor. That is all. But every hardware version works with the latest S/W update.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:23 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
Do you guys think it is safe to upgrade to newest firmwares of the FY-31AP and Hornet?

There was the mAh consumption issue with the Hornet but that has been solved already I think?

No problems with the FY-31īs newest?
tupelo is online now Find More Posts by tupelo
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:04 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
I have not tested it. Usually I get to test before they release but not this time for some reason.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupelo View Post
Do you guys think it is safe to upgrade to newest firmwares of the FY-31AP and Hornet?

There was the mAh consumption issue with the Hornet but that has been solved already I think?

No problems with the FY-31īs newest?
Tried it our this morning, no problems. Smooth as silk. Hornet current consumption display also solved with the version I uploaded before. All works well.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:45 PM
Montrose CO
United States, CO, Montrose
Joined Apr 2012
153 Posts
Simple question. How much setup is required to get the Failsafe RTL to work? Once I turn it on I would like it to be always on no matter what plane I put the FY-31AP into. I currently have a DIYD AMP 2.5 autopilot and am considering the FY-31AP to replace it if the RTL is more automatic. The APM instructions have 11 things to do to set it up and I want to just turn it on and forget it.I want to know it's always there no matter what stupid thing I tell the plane to do. That's why it's called Failsafe.
not2fast is offline Find More Posts by not2fast
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Sep 2012
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2fast View Post
Simple question. How much setup is required to get the Failsafe RTL to work? Once I turn it on I would like it to be always on no matter what plane I put the FY-31AP into. I currently have a DIYD AMP 2.5 autopilot and am considering the FY-31AP to replace it if the RTL is more automatic. The APM instructions have 11 things to do to set it up and I want to just turn it on and forget it.I want to know it's always there no matter what stupid thing I tell the plane to do. That's why it's called Failsafe.
From my understanding, the FY31AP RTL works as you mention. It overrides everything, every mode you are in. But you have to assign 1 channel to operate this mode. You can then:

1) RTL (900-1200us)
2) Operate normal (1200-1800us)
3) Auto circle (1800-2100us)

So when you fly, it is always in 2). Once you panic, don't know where it is or whatever, you flip the switch to 1) and let go of the controls. I just use a 2 way switch to only switch between 1) and 2). My DX7 only has one 3 way switch which I use for manual - stabilization - navigation mode.

You can download the manual from the Feiyu Tech website which explains it all.