Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
rudder is working properly in stabilization mode
steve
sorry, me again.
I just was flying with EasyGlider.
Before going out I put off the rudder-cable from FY31AP. In the aileron-out I plugged a v-cable and put aileronservo and rudderservo together. In the TX I made a combiswitch for aileron and rudder.
That is it.
RTH is working now very good.
After one flight I went home and write this.
Now I search a data modem, as you recommend.
Best regards.
Otto
autist is offline Find More Posts by autist
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:51 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,905 Posts
Good stuff Otto

happy flying.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
396 Posts
**** YOU FY31AP

It's safe to say I'm PISSED off at FY31AP right now. Why? Because I'm trying to fly my plane (sky surfer with some mods) and when I activate stabilization mode in FY31AP the elevator goes the wrong way.... When the plane is going down Fy31ap makes the elevator go down too and when the plane goes up it makes the elevator go up as well. Everything is on the original default setting, no dials or switches moved. In the Fy31ap manaul it says:

"Move the Elevator knob to the opposite side (from Centre) if the
servo movement is incorrect."

Well guess what I've been trying but there isn't a damn screw driver or any tool in the world that can move this knob. All I've done is scatch the *$%^ out of it trying to move this $%#^ing knob. I am going crazy about this. This is actually the first time anything RC related has actually pissed me off. This is mostly pissing me off because Fy31ap is a high ticket item and it should't have dials or knobs on it that are impossible to move.

I have 200+ screw drivers / heads and all sorts of other tools but I am clearly not equiped to change a setting on an Fy31ap. I can not longer try to change the setting until I have a propper tool to do so because theses knobs are made of VERY cheap material and I fear if I continue to try to move the knob not even a tool that is meant to move it will be able to. And then I will have just wasted a couple hundred $ on a black brick.

Could somebody please kindly point me in the direction of a screw driver or tool this will change these knobs? Any links would be appretiated.

Thanks,
Matt
TimeTrave1er is online now Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,905 Posts
Hi Matt, I understand your frusteration, unfortunately some of the boards that were sold have this issue.

I belive that it stems from the coating they put on the boards (it's a good thing as it helps with thermal shock and shorting) but some of the knobs are sticky.

My advice (though it's not what you want to hear) is to send it back to the vendor becuse you will strip the pot.

FY is willing to replace any of these units as it's a known problem.

Alternatively you could possibly use a tooth brush or soak the entire thing in some board cleaner and see if you can loosen it up... but I doubt you can cause that coating is pretty tough (it is only my guess that the coating is causeing these issues because I did not have this problem)

One other option is to replace the pot itself with another one.

Best thing to do is send it back, sorry.

Steve
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:47 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTrave1er View Post
**** YOU FY31AP

It's safe to say I'm PISSED off at FY31AP right now. Why? Because I'm trying to fly my plane (sky surfer with some mods) and when I activate stabilization mode in FY31AP the elevator goes the wrong way.... When the plane is going down Fy31ap makes the elevator go down too and when the plane goes up it makes the elevator go up as well. Everything is on the original default setting, no dials or switches moved. In the Fy31ap manaul it says:

Well guess what I've been trying but there isn't a damn screw driver or any tool in the world that can move this knob. All I've done is scatch the *$%^ out of it trying to move this $%#^ing knob. I am going crazy about this. This is actually the first time anything RC related has actually pissed me off. This is mostly pissing me off because Fy31ap is a high ticket item and it should't have dials or knobs on it that are impossible to move.

I have 200+ screw drivers / heads and all sorts of other tools but I am clearly not equiped to change a setting on an Fy31ap. I can not longer try to change the setting until I have a propper tool to do so because theses knobs are made of VERY cheap material and I fear if I continue to try to move the knob not even a tool that is meant to move it will be able to. And then I will have just wasted a couple hundred $ on a black brick.

Could somebody please kindly point me in the direction of a screw driver or tool this will change these knobs? Any links would be appretiated.

Thanks,
Matt
Hate to state the obvious, just a small straight edge screw driver, the pots should be very easy to turn. You might have a "frozen" one. If so you will need to return the product.

Do the other 2 pots turn easily for Roll & Yaw?.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
I had to return my first FY31AP because of frozen pots too, a good flat head screwdriver should be able to break it free if you are careful, just do not strip it.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:42 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Sticky Pots Revisited

Quote:
**** YOU FY31AP

Thanks,
Matt
This problem with sticky Pots was realized way back in April
( refer to page 40 of this thread)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t#post21290540
It looks like Feiyu is not going to resolve this manufacturing defect.
Maybe somebody should start a business on this side of the Pacific that receives these defective products , in this case, the FY-31 AP having cheap and contaminated pots and then replace them with better quality pots.
I would be willing to spend $50 more for the extra service.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:01 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,905 Posts
I have a feeling this is old stock but I am going to remind them that this is still an issue tonight.

I have not seen these pots up close in a long time, if someone takes a photo of them I can see if i can order some and replace them.

I would do it for free you just pay shipping and parts price. I'll take the good carma

I can solder just about anything by hand but these may require some special tools depending on the location of the three pins... they will be SMD so it's gonna be small.

Steve
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:03 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,905 Posts
BTW I think eventually we will see these pots disappear in new hardware revisions where all settings will be done via usb and or data modem.

Steve
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,614 Posts
I had the same Pot problem when I first started using the FY31AP.
I actually turned it until the plastic groove got stripped!

Only later did I realize that I had turned it in the WRONG direction!
In my haste, I had turned it counter clock wise all the way to the end and thought I hadn't. So I continued turning it that way until the pot got damaged.

Luckily there was still enough groove for me to turn it clockwise and get my servo directions right.

Live and learn.

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:24 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,905 Posts
yup that is easy to do too... if you look carefully there is a tiny little arrow in the pot... that should point up from the facotry.. unless they have changed that...

Steve
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:59 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,905 Posts
I just talked to them again about the pots and let them know there are still some problems... by the sounds of it there are only a few with issues considering the number out there...

I am getting the data sheet on the pots sent to me... maybe I can change them.

Steve
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:13 AM
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
396 Posts
Thanks hendrnk, NorCalMatCat, borneobear, larry baraniuk, and especially Steve for your replies and information.

I got this Fy31ap a month or so ago from somebody that used it successfully so returning it to vendor doesn't appear an option.

Turns out it's a combination of a couple problems:
1.) I was indeed turning the knob in the wrong direction. It is crazy you totally wouldn't intuit that it is supposed to go the other way. It never occured to me. I didn't even try the other way once...looks like that makes two of us borneobear. Luckily the other knobs turn, I managed to turn them a bit (in the right direction XD) with a tool that isn't exactly good for turning these knobs. I used the side of a piece of metal.

2.) It's still extremely hard to turn and since the knob is already deformed quite a bit and anymore bending and twisting of this small plastic knob would almost certainly render it useless, I absolutely cannot risk trying to turn it unless I have a proper screw driver... which appears to be my biggest problem and the reason why I made the post earlier.

If anybody knows of a store online where I can order the right size screw driver, heck I'd even order a set if I have to in order to get the right size driver. I know this sounds crazy but desperate times call for desperate measures. I might take it to a hardware store or two but at this point I almost don't want to risk even testing out more screw drivers and potentially damaging the knob more. I want to find Goldylocks. I know shes out there...somewhere....but where?

Thanks,
Matt
TimeTrave1er is online now Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:14 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,614 Posts
Quote:
If anybody knows of a store online where I can order the right size screw driver, Matt
I would go to the nearest friendly hardware store and ask them for a set of screw drivers. Try one until you find the right size that fits perfectly into the pot groove.

For me, I have a few small plastic screw drivers that came with my Futaba Helicopter GY401 Gyros. It fits nicely. Don't think its available for sale though.

I think Stanley produces some good screw drivers for this size.

Good luck!

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:01 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
BTW I think eventually we will see these pots disappear in new hardware revisions where all settings will be done via usb and or data modem.

Steve
I really hope that Feiyu makes that improvement on the Fy- 31 AP.
What would be really nice is to have the Fy- 31 to be interfaced with the X-Plane
simulator.
Just looking at allot of setup issues being brought up could be resolved by
testing certain settings on a simulator first.

ArduPlane wind navi with x-plane bixler (5 min 14 sec)
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk