HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:38 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
Something not clear in the HK description: they both come with SMA Male connectors. This was not good for the transmitter I am using which also had a male. So I had to change the CL to female SMA.
That is very strange that anybody would manufacture a transmitter with a male connector on the output . It doesn't follow the standard. I don't understand the logic to it.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:37 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
That is very strange that anybody would manufacture a transmitter with a male connector on the output . It doesn't follow the standard. I don't understand the logic to it.
Is there any logic in China made products??? )
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:39 AM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
sorry to hear this, so do you have an OSD?

if stabilized mode works then I must assume it is a GPS problem.

Are you losing satellites when up in the air I wondeR?

have you tried moving the gps to another location?

what video frequencey are you using?

Steve
I am using a Remzibi OSD with its own GPS.
I have located Fy31 GPS on the right wing and the OSD GPS on the left wing, so both of them are away of any other source of interference.
My 5,8Ghz 500mW Vtx is located far back on the tail boom.

Sakis
sgrouts is online now Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:57 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
mmmm do you have a data modem?

the best thing to do is to find out somehow if you are losing gps in flight and if the aircraft is in fact heading the way the AP thinks it is...

I would highly recommend getting a data modem (3DR are cheap) and this way you can take full advantage of all the 31AP functions as well as see what is going on in flight.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:39 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrouts View Post
I am using a Remzibi OSD with its own GPS.
I have located Fy31 GPS on the right wing and the OSD GPS on the left wing, so both of them are away of any other source of interference.
My 5,8Ghz 500mW Vtx is located far back on the tail boom.

Sakis
Got pics of your set up?
You'd get a lot more support if you 'show and tell'.

Yeah, and Steve is right. A data model and GCS tells you tons of stuff thats going on onboard. Helped me a lot.

Cheers,

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:06 PM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borneobear View Post
Got pics of your set up?
You'd get a lot more support if you 'show and tell'.

Yeah, and Steve is right. A data model and GCS tells you tons of stuff thats going on onboard. Helped me a lot.

Cheers,

BB

guys, thank you for your answers,
I dont know...
when I engage RTL the plane does left turns and climbs slowly and steadily until it stalls. Is this normal?
It is supposed to keep the same alt.

Sakis
sgrouts is online now Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:05 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
how does that even fly? haha... so much disturbance on the wings!!!

I would start by taking it off the velcro and just using the spongy pads... it also looks like when your servo's move it may move the unit in flight.... can you move it more forward so that there is no stress on the unit from the wiring?

please tripple check that your rudder is moving the right way... it can be confusing... 31AP will use rudder to turn and if it's wrong it makes everything go very sideways in navigation but all will seem well in stabilized mode sometimes because the rudder output in navigation is stronger I find than in stabilzation.

swing the tail from right to left and make sure the rudder is acting like it will counter act the movement of the plane...

trust me I have to think about this and tripple check it on my setups as it's very easy to get wrong.

Steve
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:04 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
I dont know...
when I engage RTL the plane does left turns and climbs slowly and steadily until it stalls. Is this normal?

Sakis
I think that because you are using an extension on your GPS line that it might be picking up noise.
Maybe if you relocate the toroid ferrite ring closer to the FY-31 AP it might give a cleaner signal to the input of the AP.
I also noticed in your picture that you are using the throttle output of the FY-31 .
I would stay away from using the throttle out until you get all the bugs ironed out.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Nov 25, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Sep 2012
771 Posts
Quote:
I dont know...

Sakis
It will climb to the altitude you set in the flight parameters, usually 200 meters. 200 meters is quite high. So if you do not set your climb rate, it will climb pretty steep. In my case with my Raptor, it was also too steep and stalled. I reduced the climb rate to 20%. That works fine for me. So now I have fail safe throttle 60%, climb rate 20 degrees and all is OK. The motor current goes up to about 18 Amps. I also let the AP control the throttle. Never stalls again.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
771 Posts
Quote:
I dont know...

Sakis
Dear Sakis,

In your setup, you have no idea what is going on with the FY31AP. Your OSD is a separate OSD which gets it info from a separate GPS. Normally, you would connect the FY31AP to the Hornet OSD which gives you all the information you need. You then would be able to analyze what is going on. You can also use the FY602 or 605 data radio to get feedback from the AP. What you are doing now is basically trying to fix things with your eyes closed. Sorry, but that doesn't work.

It seems to be working fine, but just not sure. The FY31AP is a pretty sophisticated device with many options and settings. I also needed a lot of time and experience to get to know it and to fly stable and safely. But you have to have some feedback to know exactly what is going on.

Invest that few extra bucks and you will now what's going on.

Best regards, Anthony.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:11 AM
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
.......31AP will use rudder to turn......
Steve
just found this:

it can be confusing... 31AP will use rudder to turn

Oh what? I have made more than 300 flights with EasyStar and EasyGlider the last months and I thought all is correct, and now I must read this.
With three FY31AP I can not produce rudder move in RTH mode. The rudder seems fixed. Turn is done with aileron and elev.
Otherwise rudder is correct in stabilized mode.
Have I made a fault?
I should better go skiing in calgary?

Best regard.
autist is offline Find More Posts by autist
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:37 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
well it will depend on what mode you chose in the GCS. (Another reason to get a data modem working)

if I remember correctly you can choose to navigate with ailerons, rudder or both....

anyway if you are 100% certain that your rudder is working properly in stabilization mode then this is not your issue.

Also you will have to crank up the gains in the GCS for the rudder or you won't find much effect.

All this requires a data modem, I would get one instead of the FY-OSD becuase they are much more usefull when it comes to tuning etc.

steve
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
This is a very challenging problem. Allot of good ideas have been given.
It will be very interesting to find out what the trouble maker really is.

Good Luck!
I started rearranging the entire plane. Wont get time to troubleshoot one thing at a time as originally anticipated.
I found that I forgot to hookup the BEC. It was disconnected and I was running everything off the esc bec. Its 2 or 3 amps.. Could this in anyway cause artificial horizon error..?
GTiDonavan is offline Find More Posts by GTiDonavan
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:10 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
It is definately not a good idea to use the ESC BEC in my opinion but it should not cause such issues...

Steve
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:21 AM
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
well it will depend on what mode you chose in the GCS. (Another reason to get a data modem working)
if I remember correctly you can choose to navigate with ailerons, rudder or both....
anyway if you are 100% certain that your rudder is working properly in stabilization mode then this is not your issue.
Also you will have to crank up the gains in the GCS for the rudder or you won't find much effect.
All this requires a data modem, I would get one instead of the FY-OSD becuase they are much more usefull when it comes to tuning etc.
steve
THX.
so, no skiing, sorry. Must try to get a data modem.
The EasyStar has rudderservo in aileron-out at FY31AP. Is functioning well.
The EasyGlider has correct aileronservo in aileron-out, rudderservo in rudder-out.
Without data modem I can not say, what rudder-servo is doing in flight with RTH mode. On ground it is as written.
RTH is only useable in less wind weather. In strong wind it is harakiri.
Stabilized mode is very good in all conditions.
Otto
autist is offline Find More Posts by autist