HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:38 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiDonavan View Post
I just can't replicate the problem on the ground,but have checked again. My esc and video tx is very close to the AP. The temps in the cockpit also quite high in the video. Can any of this effect the horizon? What sensors does it work from? The metal case of the AP is a good shield against magnetic and rf interference.
Another thing to try.
Disconnect the Fy -31 AP from the Hornet and connect the GPS directly into the Hornet instead and then fly your plane.
If you still have a problem with the artificial horizon then you know that your Fy-31 is not the problem.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Nov 20, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:41 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2008
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
good stuff.. I would hate for your to fry your board!!

ps ideally you should run a separte BEC for your servo's isolated from the BEC that runs your autopilot.

I do this for safety reasons, if my servo's bind or decide to give up the ghost and I am running only one BEC it may cause a brown out on the processor.. or a reset.

If you can wire in a BEC that will supply power to your servo's and not the AP unit that is ideal.

This is not really a full on requirement becuase I have flown lots with just a good quality 10 amp castle bec but for my work planes I need maximum safety so I run this way (with two BEC's).

Steve
Hi

I am powering my FY-31AP via the receiver. The receiver is powered by a BEC separate from the ESC.

This does not seem to be the safest way. Above Steve explains how he powers his FY-31AP directly with two separate BECs. One that powers the servos and other that powers the FY-31AP separately. I am confused. How is this done?

Another question. To power FY-31AP directly instead of via receiver with a BEC via an Y-cable you do the following:

1. connect the single end of an Y-cable to one of the servo outputs on the FY-31AP.
2. Connect the servo and a BEC to the other ends of the Y-cable.
3. The Y-cable BEC also powers the receiver via the aileron connection wire that has three leads? Am I correct?

If I have understood this right, it still leaves open the question on how to add another BEC that powers just the FY-31AP but not the servos.

Sorry for the questions, but I just started to learn this device and do not wish to make unnecessary mistakes.
tupelo is offline Find More Posts by tupelo
Last edited by tupelo; Nov 20, 2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added question
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:31 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,129 Posts
the easiest way is to leave the entire system as-is where the ap is powered by the separte BEC.

then remove the red wire only from the wires to the servo's (leaving the signal and ground in)... that red wire now gets power from the separate BEC and then of course you have to tie the ground from the new BEC into the servo wire ground or common ground.

Honestly though if you run a 10 amp quality BEC like castle you will be 99.999% fine. I have run with just one BEC for many hours but DO NOT USE CRAPPY CHINESE OR EBAY BECS. Spend 20$ on a good BEC and fly knowing all will be good.

Hope that helps.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:00 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2008
307 Posts
Thanks.

So I first unplug the red wires from all the servos to the AP.

Then I somehow connect the red servo wires with the red wire of the second (servo dedicated) BEC.

Thirdly I connect the black ground wire of the servo dedicated BEC to servo wire ground or common ground. This last phase is not clear to me. Can you kindly elaborate thanks? How is it done exactly?
tupelo is offline Find More Posts by tupelo
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:20 AM
Joined Jan 2012
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
This is a very challenging problem. Allot of good ideas have been given.
It will be very interesting to find out what the trouble maker really is.

Good Luck!
I will report my findings, ill try one solution at a time to isolate the problem, starting with turning off video TX
GTiDonavan is online now Find More Posts by GTiDonavan
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Jan 2012
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
Another thing to try.
Disconnect the Fy -31 AP from the Hornet and connect the GPS directly into the Hornet instead and then fly your plane.
If you still have a problem with the artificial horizon then you know that your Fy-31 is not the problem.
Correct me if I am wrong. Doesnt the Artificial horizon work from the FY31 sensors? Therefore wont work without it?
GTiDonavan is online now Find More Posts by GTiDonavan
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:06 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong. Doesnt the Artificial horizon work from the FY31 sensors? Therefore wont work without it?
I stand corrected. The artificial horizon is injected info coming from the Fy - 31 AP.
Its probably the only added information that it provides compared to hooking up
the GPS directly to the Hornet.
Therefore somehow your Gyros are going out of wack when when you are flying.
Vibration is more likely to be the problem.
The Gyros on these cheap APs use the Coriolis vibration effect which are very sensitive to outer vibrations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrati...ture_gyroscope.
I'm surprised that your artificial horizon is wrong when you are gliding your plane.
It's very mysterious.
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Nov 21, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:07 AM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,091 Posts
Quote:
You are correct, but the hornet might be doing a bit of processing on the signal it receives. It would not be wise to eliminate it as a cause of the problem just yet.

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
You are correct, but the hornet might be doing a bit of processing on the signal it receives. It would not be wise to eliminate it as a cause of the problem just yet.

Later;

D.W.
To see if the Hornet is properly processing the gyro data I thought I would do a comparison of the attitude indication on the GCS coming straight from the FY-31 AP and attitude indication of the Hornet OSD. The attached block diagram shows the configuration I tried out .
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:58 PM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
752 Posts
FY31AP stalling my Raptor during ACM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrouts View Post
Hi, yesterday I crashed my plane with my fy31 onboard.
I repaired the plane and I flew it today, but I noticed the fy is acting weird.
The ACM is abrupt and its not keeping the circle it used to.
today I test flied my raptor for a couple of hours just to observe what FY31 is actually doing wrong.
I found out that the ACM is interrupted from stalling!
The FY31 is trying to do circles but if you dont give enough thrust it drives the plane to violent stall and it can't get it out of that.
I tried it over and over and whenever I was not giving enough throttle the plane got into a vertical spin. I disengage ACM and the plane gets out of the spin by itself as always.
If I didn't disengage ACM, the plane would for sure crash. I am certain, because now that I learnet to interpret the specific behaviour I realized that the two crashes that I had were because of FY31.

Any ideas? Is this normal behaviour?
Pattaya01, is this happening with your raptor?
Thanks for any input.

Sakis.

P.S Before all of the above tests I reinstalled 2.0 firmware, tested servos, checked the BEC and recorded neutral position in flight as FeyuTech suggested.
I also checked the FY31's pins from the outside as larry baraniuk said. I don't want to violate open the hardware yet...
sgrouts is online now Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:06 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
today I test flied my raptor for a couple of hours just to observe what FY31 is actually doing wrong.
I found out that the ACM is interrupted from stalling!
The FY31 is trying to do circles but if you dont give enough thrust it drives the plane to violent stall and it can't get it out of that.
I tried it over and over and whenever I was not giving enough throttle the plane got into a vertical spin. I disengage ACM and the plane gets out of the spin by itself as always.
If I didn't disengage ACM, the plane would for sure crash. I am certain, because now that I learnet to interpret the specific behaviour I realized that the two crashes that I had were because of FY31.

Any ideas? Is this normal behaviour?
Pattaya01, is this happening with your raptor?
Thanks for any input.

Sakis.

P.S Before all of the above tests I reinstalled 2.0 firmware, tested servos, checked the BEC and recorded neutral position in flight as FeyuTech suggested.
I also checked the FY31's pins from the outside as larry baraniuk said. I don't want to violate open the hardware yet...
Do you have the throttle wired in via the FY-31AP.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Jun 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Do you have the throttle wired in via the FY-31AP.
A very good question.

During the first crashes I didn't.
But all the tests I did today were done with channel 3 given to FY31AP.

Sakis
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:38 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
A very good question.

During the first crashes I didn't.
But all the tests I did today were done with channel 3 given to FY31AP.

Sakis
Not sure if this will help. But I found the following with the FY-31AP and throttle.

When doing Waypoint navigation. I would set the minimum throttle on the Tx, FY-31 would increase the throttle if it needed to climb to a higher altitude, even out of range of the Tx. i.e. I could turn off the Tx and it would continue on the last throttle position and increase throttle to climb as necessary.

If it came back within Tx range and the throttle was off on the Tx, it would override the fail safe throttle from FY-31AP to off. Not so good.

As for RTL & Circle mode, it seems to work with the same logic.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Not sure if this will help. But I found the following with the FY-31AP and throttle.

When doing Waypoint navigation. I would set the minimum throttle on the Tx, FY-31 would increase the throttle if it needed to climb to a higher altitude, even out of range of the Tx. i.e. I could turn off the Tx and it would continue on the last throttle position and increase throttle to climb as necessary.

If it came back within Tx range and the throttle was off on the Tx, it would override the fail safe throttle from FY-31AP to off. Not so good.

As for RTL & Circle mode, it seems to work with the same logic.
Thank you for the info.
So as I was flying LOS, the plane was blindly obeying my RC throttle position.
If I understand correctly if my plane was doing ACM with my 9x off, the FY31 would take over and it would gave the throttle that the plane requires so it doesn't stall. Right?

Sakis
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the info.
So as I was flying LOS, the plane was blindly obeying my RC throttle position.
If I understand correctly if my plane was doing ACM with my 9x off, the FY31 would take over and it would gave the throttle that the plane requires so it doesn't stall. Right?

Sakis
No it won't from memory it will just take the last throttle position it had from the Tx as the base or fail safe throttle position. This is on the older version of the firmware not sure of the latest version if its changed (but I doubt it).