Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:42 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,893 Posts
Cool
E-Flite Pulse XT 25e in Pearl White Covering!!

Fortunately, someone at my RC Club recovered a nice almost new E-Flite Pulse XT 25e and and flew it perhaps 6 flights. He has since acquired just too many models and about three weeks ago, I bought it off from him on a cool deal of $80.00 cash.

The best is that he recovered it in Pearl White with some trim at the wing tips and Horizontal Stab tips with Red, White and Blue.

I have tried a number of motors, specifically the smaller E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) but, I will not be able to balance this model like I did with the E-Flite Advance 25e using this motor so, I had to remove it and look for other options. I found out that the battery compartment on the E-Flite Advance 25e is much larger than the Pulse XT 25e such that I could not use the same battery size on the Pulse as I used on the Advance thereby, would not be able to balance the Pulse.

Therefore, I have been struggling in seeking a suitable power system for the Pulse XT 25e and finally decided on the FMS G&C 3648-600Kv. This motor is found in the first couple of versions from the FMS Large EPO P-51D Mustang of 57 inch wing span and other similar warbirds from this manufacturer. I did so, primarily because I had the brand new motor in my motor storage box for another FMS Mustang that I have since sold away new in the box so, the motor was just sitting there.

I did install FMS (G&C Hobby 3648-600Kv), however, the motor can only be installed reversed using a custom like propeller adapter that gets bolted at the rear end-bell using four 4-40 metric hex bolts. To mount the motor, I used the E-Flite Mini-Pulse X-Motor mounting hardware (Part Number: EFL2382) that retails for $3.99. The prop adapter that came with the G&C 3648-600Kv is really made for a custom molded spinner that uses a large hex pattern at the rear of the adapter and at first glance did not think it was really not going to work with this model and it will just take too much work. Besides the G&C 3648 delivers only 600 Kv and the need to using 4-Cell Li-POLY would be mandatory in order to get respectable propeller RPMs.

However, after looking at the free On-Line Motor/Battery/Propeller calculator that I use, it was amazing to find the Ampere draw was below 20-AMPs for the projected wooden 2-blade Master Airscrew 10 X 8 propeller and using the 4-Cell, 2600mAH, 25C, Li-POLYs from Esprit Model.

I did find two old plastic (RED) spinners from previous Great Planes Super Sportster EP (48 inch wing span model) and the plastic back plate went right over the Hex pattern to provide a flush mounting and the wooden Master Airscrew 2-Blade 10 X 8 propeller went on perfectly and to give the securing nut some bite, I used a metal round spacer between the front end of the propeller and the securing nut. The Red spinner front cap screwed on perfectly and securely without any evidence of wobble. Not bad for a cheap plastic spinner assembly.

For motor parameters of the G&C 3648-600Kv you can rely on Dr. Kiwi's motor database at:
http://www.bungymania.com/imageshome...erf1.php?id=89

Up close picture of the G&C 3648-600Kv that FMS uses on it's warbirds:

Of course I did consider other power systems and for 3-cell Li-POLY operation such as the BP Hobbies A2826-4, measuring 35mm X 54mm and weighs at 6.25oz and with nothing more than 1000 Kv (RPM/VOLT). It has a maximum AMP draw capacity of ~50 Amperes @ 60 Seconds, however for best efficiency it is between 25 - 37 Amperes. The BP Hobbies A2826-4 (1,000 Kv) and you can view the motor parameters at:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B3915415

It has the appropriate weight (6.25oz.) and mid-range (1,000 Kv) for a good Sport Motor at a very reasonable price. I paid a cool $37.00 for this motor and came with everything I need to mount should the one I selected does not work out, it will be installed on my used Pulse XT 25e with new "WHITE" Covering.

I would believe that the 2nd contender (Option) would be the BP Hobbies A2820-6 with measurements of 35mm X 47mm and again just 1,000Kv with slightly less weight at 4.67oz. However, for the price I opted for the slightly larger motor that is equivalent to the E-Flite power 25.

A few pictures of my motor search and final selection (G&C Hobby 3648-600Kv):

Battery compartment showing the 4-Cell, 2600mAH, 25C, Li-POLYs:

Here are a few up and close pictures of my model:

Finally, here is the predicted performance using this motor (G&C 3748-600Kv):

Stay tuned for a flight report
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Jan 16, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts